Looking for JP in Bangkok

Owiee

Hello all

l hope this is the right form for this inquiry. I am looking for an Australian JP in Bangkok to sign/witness a number of documents for me. From what l understand the Australian Embassy provides this service however l have heard they charge per page and as l have approx 10 pages l am hoping to find a better option. Any help would be appreciated……thanks 

21 hours ago, Owiee said:

Hello all

l hope this is the right form for this inquiry. I am looking for an Australian JP in Bangkok to sign/witness a number of documents for me. From what l understand the Australian Embassy provides this service however l have heard they charge per page and as l have approx 10 pages l am hoping to find a better option. Any help would be appreciated……thanks 

I just found JP (Qld registered) in Chiang Mai and he told me the embassy charges $80 per page/signature. At 10 pages ($800) might be cheaper to make a trip to CM, I can give you the JPs number here.

Good luck finding one.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I just found JP (Qld registered) in Chiang Mai and he told me the embassy charges $80 per page/signature. At 10 pages ($800) might be cheaper to make a trip to CM, I can give you the JPs number here.

Good luck finding one.

Thank you, l think l have heard of this JP and is definitely an option, it’s just that l will be in Bkk later this month and was hoping to find one there. $80 a page is crazy 

Just now, Owiee said:

Thank you, l think l have heard of this JP and is definitely an option, it’s just that l will be in Bkk later this month and was hoping to find one there. $80 a page is crazy 

I was quoted 1000 baht (~$44) by visa agent and I thought a bit much, but $80 for your own citizens.........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Good luck finding one.

As a former NSW JP charging a fee to witness signatures on documents was not permitted. When I went to the aussie embassy in 2014 to have a stat dec witnessed and was asked to pay for the service I mentioned that a JP cannot charge a fee to witness a signature on a document. A supervisor came out and told me that they do not just have a JP witness the signature but they have a suitably qualified person notarise the document which is why they are able to charge a fee. They also pointed out that a JP's signature is of zero value legally, outside of Australia.

3 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

As a former NSW JP charging a fee to witness signatures on documents was not permitted. When I went to the aussie embassy in 2014 to have a stat dec witnessed and was asked to pay for the service I mentioned that a JP cannot charge a fee to witness a signature on a document. A supervisor came out and told me that they do not just have a JP witness the signature but they have a suitably qualified person notarise the document which is why they are able to charge a fee. They also pointed out that a JP's signature is of zero value legally, outside of Australia.

Yep, know JPs can not charge. And I don't mind paying a fee for a business. Take my quote example, they quoted 1000 baht per signature, so if only 1 then 1000 which obviously covers their costs or would charge more. But to charge 1000 for every other signature at the same time, to me is a bit much.

You say a JPs signature is of zero value outside of Australia. I realise of no value in any other country, or do you mean of no value if obtained outside Australia?

Just now, Dazinoz said:

Yep, know JPs can not charge. And I don't mind paying a fee for a business. Take my quote example, they quoted 1000 baht per signature, so if only 1 then 1000 which obviously covers their costs or would charge more. But to charge 1000 for every other signature at the same time, to me is a bit much.

You say a JPs signature is of zero value outside of Australia. I realise of no value in any other country, or do you mean of no value if obtained outside Australia?

A JP's signature as a witness to a document ONLY has value INSIDE Australia.

Notarial services | Smartraveller

Witnessing or certifying overseas

Consular officials can witness signatures on Australian documents overseas. They can also certify true copies of some documents and photographs. There's a fee for this service.

We deliver this service through our embassies and consulates overseas

Statutory declarations overseas

Consular officials can witness Australian statutory declarations overseas. We deliver this service through our embassies and consulates overseas.

Note that Australian statutory declarations are for use only in Australia. Consular officials won't witness an Australian statutory declaration for use in a foreign country

Please note the FINAL paragraph which is embolded and underlined. The Embassy or Consul offices only NOTARISE documents for use outside Australia. This also applies to witnessing documents other than Stat decs, which is why they charge the fees that they do. Those fees are in line with what a solicitor would charge in Australia to notarise a document.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Consular officials can witness Australian statutory declarations overseas. We deliver this service through our embassies and consulates overseas.

The JP I used has lived in Thailand 20 years and has been providing witnessing services in that time. I am sure if his witnessing kept being knocked back in Australia he would  not be doing it considering his effort for nothing.

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

The JP I used has lived in Thailand 20 years and has been providing witnessing services in that time. I am sure if his witnessing kept being knocked back in Australia he would  not be doing it considering his effort for nothing.

If the documents he's witnessing are for use in Australia, then that is covered by what I've already said. If he's witnessing documents for use outside Australia then his JP status has NO legal value.