Thaksin submits application for royal clemency

snoop1130

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to the statement published in the Royal Gazette, Thaksin’s jail sentence has been shortened because he has previously served as the Prime Minister who carried out the duties for the benefit of the nation and the people.

And made himself and his family inordinately rich.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

That is no surprise to anybody.he had a deal and waited.Now back in hospital not well.once the pardon is signed off,he will make a amazing recovery that no one can believe.No time in prison and he should be sent free because he behaved himself.What is the saying Amazing thailand or grease enough palms and we can help you

The Beatles sang, money can't buy me love, however this is Thailand where money can buy whatever you want.... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, transam said:

Seems I was right........................????

Well it wasn't rocket science to predict the outcome, now was it? 

However a wise move, still a criminal with a reduced sentence. 

Isn't there other charges yet to be faced? 

Edited by Artisi
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

I wonder just how many weeks Thaksin spends in a jail cell, versus

some more comfortable surroundings?  My guess is not many.

My guess is none, he'll stay where he is in the royal suite at the hospital, regardless whether he's actually sick or not then quickly home detention meanwhile the 1 year is builing (started a couple of days ago).

It's a total disgusting scam. 

Next question: I wonder if there's and mention in the pardon details if he's (after 1 year and pardon date) allowed to participate in politics and allowed to be the PM? participate in politics af

Edited by scorecard

10 hours ago, FarangJon said:

Yes I ve been living since 2003 in Thailand. Thaksin gave with his left hand to the people and took at the same time the double with his right hand from them.

Patently false.

Nothing is more certain than your inability to provide a shred of evidence in support of your ridiculous nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My guess is none, he'll stay where he is in the royal suite at the hospital, regardless whether he's actually sick or not then quickly home detention meanwhile the 1 year is builing (started a couple of days ago).

It's a total disgusting scam. 

Next question: I wonder if there's and mention in the pardon details if he's (after 1 year and pardon date) allowed to participate in politics and allowed to be the PM? participate in politics af

Look at you, discovering some scruples now that it is Thaksin and not a General, a Plutocrat or a Yellow Shirt benefitting from the rigged game.

The man is 74 and just spent 17 years in exile - frontline politics isn’t on the agenda.

How long until you junta lackey’s are singing Thaksin’s praise and reserving your nonsense posts for Pita and Move Forward?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Look at you, discovering some scruples now that it is Thaksin and not a General, a Plutocrat or a Yellow Shirt benefitting from the rigged game.

The man is 74 and just spent 17 years in exile - frontline politics isn’t on the agenda.

How long until you junta lackey’s are singing Thaksin’s praise and reserving your nonsense posts for Pita and Move Forward?

Take a 5 year rest, it might elieve some of your obvious total confusion.

You're back to ignore.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 7:15 PM, anchadian said:

Next episode coming up soon.

Thaksin will remain in hospital until his application for a pardon is granted.

Final episode

Pardon granted.  Thaksin returns to his home (to look after his grandchildren of course).

The next episode has already been broadcast, he has been granted a pardon but has to serve one year in jail before he can be released.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:04 AM, Edwin Cameron said:

The ' Old Pals Act.' Is alive and well in Thailand, everybody else that has a sentence has to serve a 3rd. of their sentence before being eligible for a Royal Pardon.

Nonsense, any prisoner can apply for a royal pardon when he goes into jail, he doesn't have to wait for a third of his sentence to pass before applying.

51 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Take a 5 year rest, it might elieve some of your obvious total confusion.

You're back to ignore.

Ignorance - the chief quality required by all junta lackey’s.

I can already distill the essence of your posts 5 years from now:

Thaksin and Prayuth = good

Pita and Thanathorn = evil

The above, you’ll plead as the absolute truth because “I was here at the time” and “everybody knows”.

????????????

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, any prisoner can apply for a royal pardon when he goes into jail, he doesn't have to wait for a third of his sentence to pass before applying.

Why didn't Mr Thaksin do it instead of running off? Goes for Yingluck too. As much as I support her, she should have stayed and fought her case.

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:
44 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Why didn't Mr Thaksin do it instead of running off?

You do know that I'm not Thaksin, yes?   Ask him, not me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, anchadian said:

Thaksin Shinawatra could request parole after serving one-third of his sentence.

Any prisoner is also permitted to request a pardon on admittance to the prison at the start of his sentence...

"Individual Royal Pardon

Individual Royal Pardon is granted as a matter of routine procedure.  Any convicted prisoner or a concerned person wishing to petition his Majesty the King praying for pardon may do so by submitting such petition through official channel.  However, whether or not the pardon is granted shall be subject to the King’s discretion based on the recommendation submitted by the Minister of Justice.

Who can submit a petition?

• Convicted prisoners
  • Concerned persons: parents, offsprings and spouse
  • Diplomatic representatives (only in the case of foreign prisoners)

(Note:  Lawyers are not regarded as concerned persons)

When can the petition be submitted?

For prisoners imposed with sentence other than death, the petition can be submitted at once the case becomes final".

https://en.correct.go.th/information-statistics/information/royal-pardon/

Edited by Liverpool Lou

14 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Not a pardon....................a commutation I believe.

Seems that you think that you know more about it than the person who actually granted the reported royal pardon.  If it wasn't a pardon, obviously, it would not have been reported as a royal pardon!

12 hours ago, Edwin Cameron said:

2 tied laws for the rich and poor,of course he was going to be let off,what happened to the law of serving a 3rd. of your sentence before you can appeal for a Royal Pardon?

What happened?   You got it wrong.  A prisoner can request a royal pardon at the start of his sentence.

https://en.correct.go.th/information-statistics/information/royal-pardon/

Edited by Liverpool Lou

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Seems that you think that you know more about it than the person who actually granted the reported royal pardon.  If it wasn't a pardon, obviously, it would not have been reported as a royal pardon!

If it was a pardon he would be exonerated and be a free man.

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Better take that up with the person who granted the royal pardon, then.

"Royal Pardon is the granting of pardon to a person inflicted the punishment. The pardon may be either in the form of an unconditional release, a commutation or reduction of punishment. This depends on the discretion of His Majesty the King as stated in Section 221 and 225 of the Constitution (B.E. 2540) and Section 259 to 267 of Division 7: Pardon, Commutation and Reduction of Punishment in the Criminal Procedure Code Amendment Act (No. 23), B.E. 2548".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Better take that up with the person who granted the royal pardon, then.

"Royal Pardon is the granting of pardon to a person inflicted the punishment. The pardon may be either in the form of an unconditional release, a commutation or reduction of punishment. This depends on the discretion of His Majesty the King as stated in Section 221 and 225 of the Constitution (B.E. 2540) and Section 259 to 267 of Division 7: Pardon, Commutation and Reduction of Punishment in the Criminal Procedure Code Amendment Act (No. 23), B.E. 2548".

I don't need to take it up with anyone. I know what a pardon is - and should be aware of the vagaries of reporting translations in Thailand.

A pardon would not include an ongoing prison sentence.

pardon

2 of 2

verb

pardoned; pardoning ˈpärd-niŋ ˈpär-dᵊn-iŋ

transitive verb

a

: to absolve from the consequences of a fault or crime

b

: to allow (an offense) to pass without punishment :

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Why didn't Mr Thaksin do it instead of running off? Goes for Yingluck too. As much as I support her, she should have stayed and fought her case.

You obviously have zero understanding of where the fault lines of Thai politics have lain for the past 20 years.

What sort of fool would fight anything in a rigged system?

Better to live to fight another day, who knows, it could pan out that instead of serving 10 - 12 years in jail you just spend 10 - 12 weeks in a five star room.

Pretty easy choice to make, don’t you think?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The commutation was announced in the Royal Gazette

Good news for once in AN, and the headline here in Cambodia (Saturday 2 September 2023):

Hun Sen, president of the Supreme Privy Council of the King, expressed his sincere congratulation to former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was pardoned by the Thai king.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501353351/former-pm-congratulates-thaksin-shinawatra-who-was-pardoned-by-the-thai-king/

To all the "anti Thaksin" brigade, and IMO, I hope he will remain under observation in hospital then be released on compassionate grounds and for good behaviour!

No further comment from me.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Semantics.

It is a partial (87.5%) pardon.

A commutation.

Either way, end result is the same.

He very shortly will be a free man.

BTW - receiving a full pardon is not the same as being exonerated, in fact, admitting guilt and showing remorse are common prerequisites for receiving a pardon.