Thai Town To Kill A Month In

LaosLover

say I'd like to kill a month on the pottery island of Ko Kret in N. Bangkok, but that island might get a little small after a week.

Same with Nonthburi. I want to test being north of BKK, by the river. And even the other side of the river. I did a search here and a lot of Nonthburi people from here moved out to Suraburi for less congestion. 

A less urban feeling AND a lot of restaurant choice is very hard to find. That's why Silom is on my 1 month try-out list too. Ban Rak etc., even Ari, it's surprising how green BKK can feel, even close in.

53 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

say I'd like to kill a month on the pottery island of Ko Kret in N. Bangkok, but that island might get a little small after a week.

Same with Nonthburi. I want to test being north of BKK, by the river. And even the other side of the river. I did a search here and a lot of Nonthburi people from here moved out to Suraburi for less congestion. 

A less urban feeling AND a lot of restaurant choice is very hard to find. That's why Silom is on my 1 month try-out list too. Ban Rak etc., even Ari, it's surprising how green BKK can feel, even close in.

Silom is average.

Yeah, sure.

But like people come here for cheap girlfriends? We're here for cheap sushi and 5* meals.

Silom is more green as a neighborhood-ish than Suk Road, the other food Mecca. Nonthaburi, with the ability to subway and riverboat in to downtown and then be further out for some quiet entices.

But Nimman may be too hard to ever leave. For low traffic/great dining, it's as good as Soho or Greenwich Village 

If never been there before, would be easy to do in Udon Thani, and wouldn't really need a car.

Krung Thep, more than enough to keep anyone interested.  Added plus of public trans.

Assuming one won't be cooking meals at home, though saying that, I could literally live off 7-11 & near by vendors, as there always seems to be.  Wouldn't be my preference though, so a good food town would be required.

Metro area better, more options, less need to self entertain.  

Edited by KhunLA

Udon grows on you. Still not my first pick. Id choose beach or mountains. Udon is flat and plain Jane. Why date 6/10 when you can have 8/10?

A month in Phuket even. Split between Phuket town , Nai Yang, Patong be better than most cities.

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

Udon grows on you. Still not my first pick. Id choose beach or mountains. Udon is flat and plain Jane. Why date 6/10 when you can have 8/10?

A month in Phuket even. Split between Phuket town , Nai Yang, Patong be better than most cities.

Phuket was the first thing that came to mind, but not really a city.  Assuming OP is staying in and around the immediate area of the city.

Yes, Udon is boring a all hell, landscape wise, unless heading out to the hills or edge of plateau.   As is the whole NE almost, and one reason I left.

Udon has some fine eating areas, along with some parks and an OK mall.  Plenty of nightlife (non P4P).

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, Udon is boring a all hell, 

Not enough of a downtown to walk around in.

Ubon was the only Issan town where I fond that little grid of pedstrian-friendly streets. Khorat inside their wall, was OK-ish.

Phitsolunak is high up the 'why am I here?-list. You got your Buddha foundry, your mosquito clogged meal on a riverboat, and not much else. 

Why limit yourself to Thailand? A month is time enough to get over any jet lag. I have not spent a month in a single city often but have done it in Bangkok. I guess you could also count the last 3 years I have been killing time in Pattaya.

I have also done a month in Amsterdam, Mexico City, Bogota, Istanbul and Kiev but none of these match your Thailand limitation.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Then for me, there's only one one month choice: New York.

Loved long stays in New Orleans, Paris, Amsterdam, London, and Kyoto. But if I add 'em all up together, they're still falling a little short.

Well it is decided. The next time you need to kill off a month it is off to New York for you.

Kyoto is on my to do list but don't think I will do a month there but a month in Japan would be wonderful.

49 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Then for me, there's only one one month choice: New York.

Loved long stays in New Orleans, Paris, Amsterdam, London, and Kyoto. But if I add 'em all up together, they're still falling a little short.

Ah Yes.  New York.  My first experience was getting ripped off by a yellow cab driver from the airport.

Strangely he was British as am I.

• Haha 1