Big fat ugly A/C compressor unit on balcony

Thanks guys. Of course the cosmetic look is a blow (literally), but what we are more concerned about is the pollution.

I think we have established the air released is not going to be british countryside fresh oxygen. I am trying to establish however how harmful it is. 

So as i sit drinking some twinings Tea on my balcony with a compressor blowing my head off - , i am not harming myself. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JoeyMac said:

Thanks guys. Of course the cosmetic look is a blow (literally), but what we are more concerned about is the pollution.

I think we have established the air released is not going to be british countryside fresh oxygen. I am trying to establish however how harmful it is. 

So as i sit drinking some twinings Tea on my balcony with a compressor blowing my head off - , i am not harming myself. 

Id be more worried about the mobile phone in your hands. The high frequency electromagnetic waves slowly eating at your brain cells. We all gonna die one way or another.  Get on the coke.  Dont worry. Be happy. 

• Haha 1

Welcome to Thailand.  Of topic a little but my favorite Thai stupidity is to spend a fortune on tiling out a high end condo bathroom but they not ensuring the toilet or the floor drain is properly plumbed in.

I know at least six people that have purchased very expensive properties here and cannot use one or more of their bathrooms...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Unfortunately when it comes to physics i am quite thick. Can you please explain what you just said to me as if i was 5 years old. Cheers 

Outside unit makes inside unit cold and fan in inside unit blows cold air around. No chemicals emitted unless it's leaking refrigerant.

Easily solved problem. Just tell them you don't want AC and to remove the outside unit.

22 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

The answer was already given. The air coming out of the outside unit is exactly the same as the air before it went into the unit except warmer. Ergo, if the air that you breath outside is toxic, the air coming out of the machine is toxic and visa versa.

If the wind is bothering you, just put a screen up to deflect it elsewhere and remove the visual disturbance the machine is causing. Is that too hard?

31 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

You ARE harming yourself by drinking such 5h...y tea! 555

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The answer was already given. The air coming out of the outside unit is exactly the same as the air before it went into the unit except warmer. Ergo, if the air that you breath outside is toxic, the air coming out of the machine is toxic and visa versa.

If the wind is bothering you, just put a screen up to deflect it elsewhere and remove the visual disturbance the machine is causing. Is that too hard?

Promise me that the air being released is safe. Promise me. 

Show me linked articles to support this 'theory' you put before us.

You seem overly supportive of compressors. Let me guess ... you have a gigantic one on your balcony and you need to justify it. Maybe. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

You know that the compressor only blows air out if you turn it on? ????

Yeah but c'mon - most of us have an air conditioning unit on most of the time we are in Bangkok. 

Edited by JoeyMac

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you taking the p**s?

I don't care if you believe me or not. Answer been given. Accept it or not, up to you.

You directed me to google. I searched google. Google wants me to buy compressors. I am looking for links to the information. Fully aware of course that would be very time consuming for your good self, to benefit a random guys murmerings on his visions of drinking tea on a Bangkok balcony. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JoeyMac said:

And you are unable to turn the a/c off before you go and sit on your balcony because............?

• Thumbs Up 1

Most would say, OP problem number 1 is easy to solve.

OP's 2'nd problem: The danger of aircon, used by Billions of people around the world, still OP are really worried?

OP's 3'rd problem Air pollution ....

Well WTH do you expect moving to a capital with 10 million people and 20 million vehicles?

Air pollution right now checked on IqAir is the same in Stoke-On-Trent UK as in BKK

Screenshot_20230902-121434_AirVisual.thumb.jpg.31cbf1163d17692fcd89a68affacd780.jpgScreenshot_20230902-121355_AirVisual.thumb.jpg.0c771936ab62777d636da50c456d1167.jpg

12 degrees VS 32 degrees, hard to choose aye?

Thailand isn't for everyone, unless one is able to adjust, shut up, bite your tonque, accept that things are done differently in this part of the world.

Still way better than the rain fog smog and Cold back home,  innit?

Edited by Shop mak
Spelling

5 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Yeah but c'mon - most of us have an air conditioning unit on most of the time we are in Bangkok. 

This post here just reinforces my thought that your whole topic is one big wind up.........:coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Air pollution right now checked on IqAir is the same in Stoke-On-Trent UK as in BKK

Any reason you picked Stoke - have you ever actually been there?

Comparing anything in Stoke to BKK is somewhat unusual.......

16 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

We've been searching for months. You either get extreme crap. Extreme close to a highway or polluted area. Or you get extreme luxury that is over priced. Then you get condos that are on sale but aren't on sale because the owners don't really want to rent it out (usually Chinese) so you go round and round. 

The compressor unit ruined it for us all. 

You've been searching for months then found the perfect place, and you are bailing because of the A/C thingy............????

Now come on Pike, take a deep breath.................????

• Like 2

Let me try.

Outside: The  freon is compressed and becomes hot. The fan blows air to cool down  the compressor and the freon inside it.

Inside: The freon in the coil is decompressed, it expands in volume and becomes cool. As air in the room passes through the coil it becomes cool.

Freon remains inside the coil and there is no gas exchange. If your freon leaks you need to call for service.

Screenshot 2023-09-02 194148.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

I think we have established the air released is not going to be british countryside fresh oxygen

2 hours ago, topt said:

Any reason you picked Stoke - have you ever actually been there?

Comparing anything in Stoke to BKK is somewhat unusual.......

Quote above yours,  OP's reference to british countryside fresh oxygen, and British tea ... should answer your question. OP is likely from the United Kingdom.

Then when air quality is similar to BKK .........

More that doestn't make Sense in this amazing thread full of holes ...

Swiss-Cheese-1536x1536.thumb.jpg.4dd7e842181dbf5a63fe2b4819d534cd.jpg

18 hours ago, david555 said:

If really your dream condo why not just replace the AC. with another more at your taste ..? Some are smaller ...but never very small .

There are now in Europe smaller ones direct on wall placed inside with a hole to outside ,but not knowing the specifics of them.Seems a new develloped type ....

Many brands of the outside compressor units sold in japan are considerably smaller than what you tpically see in Thailand and much quieter.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Many brands of the outside compressor units sold in japan are considerably smaller than what you tpically see in Thailand and much quieter.

This a New type  , Monoblock Airco ,.....English website

https://aquaconsult.be/en/news/monoblock-airco-zonder-buitenunit/

12 hours ago, Shop mak said:

This is clearly the wrong way to look at pollution. You've checked a simple reading for a city, but fail to look at local levels, and even more your own surroundings. 

Because whilst a city maybe clean (or polluted), if your immediate local surroundings are a condo on a highway, or living next door to a polluting factory, or you have someone whom is perpetually smoking around you your LOCALISED pollution is going to be far higher than some reading for a whole city. 

I don't understand why you have become annoyed by simply asking is my air conditioning unit compressor is a polluting hazard IF i sit on a balcony drinking Early Gray Tea, reading the Guardian, and relaxing - when it is literally blowing in my face. I am simply seeking the science. 

Yes millions have air conditioning units. But millions don't sit a yard away from the compressor exhaling 'fumes' into their face. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, transam said:

You've been searching for months then found the perfect place, and you are bailing because of the A/C thingy............????

Now come on Pike, take a deep breath.................????

Rent is around 75,000 a month - so yes we are seeking PERFECETION. If you simply wanted a one bedroom condo randomly in the city i could pick one up tomorrow most likely. Finding a two bedroom, that is in the location you need it to be, the size, has the amenities you want in a condo (security, modern infrustructure, pool), and close to entertainment is vital. 

Edited by JoeyMac

4 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Let me try.

Outside: The  freon is compressed and becomes hot. The fan blows air to cool down  the compressor and the freon inside it.

Inside: The freon in the coil is decompressed, it expands in volume and becomes cool. As air in the room passes through the coil it becomes cool.

Freon remains inside the coil and there is no gas exchange. If your freon leaks you need to call for service.

Screenshot 2023-09-02 194148.png

Let me clarify - are you saying the air released from the compressor is simply hot air with a bit of Freon mixed into that ? You are specific that there is nothing else coming out, no other gasses?

Question - is this Freon pumped into the interior too ?

Talk to me about Freon. What do we know about it ?

Further question - what if the compressor is dirty ? The type of dirt that is not seen to the naked eye, microscopic dust and general environmental dirt on it (because it is of course in an exterior environment in Bangkok) - are you then going to then be blowing dust in your face too. Would i be on a correct course of thinking with this line of attack ?

The compressor whilst looked clean, certainly didn't look shiny gold - i wouldn't have eaten my dinner off it. 

Edited by JoeyMac