Big fat ugly A/C compressor unit on balcony

How hard is it to say "I don't like this place, I'll check another"?

If you don't like the place....MOVE ON! It's not rocket science.

Edited by bbko
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

Location. Location. Location. New condo. 2 bedrooms. Hence not so easy. 

Again; "How hard is it to say "I don't like this place, I'll check another"? Are you expecting a different outcome from the owner because you whined on a social website?

• Confused 1

Back to the science - can anyone clarify what is in that heat that is coming out?

I'm hearing talk of 'agents', 'cooling agents', etc etc 

Let's be honest the 'air heat' that it is releasing into the atmosphere can't be vitamin C healthy. But what harm does it do? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeyMac said:

Back to the science - can anyone clarify what is in that heat that is coming out?

I'm hearing talk of 'agents', 'cooling agents', etc etc 

Let's be honest the 'air heat' that it is releasing into the atmosphere can't be vitamin C healthy. But what harm does it do? 

The heat is coming of the coils which are like a huge radiator. There is a fan inside the circulates the outside and blows it thru the coils to remove the heat. No chemicals involved outside.

There is fluid\gas inside the tubing in the coils that circulate into the inside unit when a fan there blow air across the cooled coils 

Some bldg have a huge mechanical room and they use whats called  chiller units.  It cools water or fluid and they pump that around the bldg to provide cooling from the units inside the condo and\or in the common areas. Its like a huge ac for the whole bldg

• Thumbs Up 1

My balcony is enclosed with an opening on the bottom wall section and windows above.  The outdoor unit or coil rawn as thais say is facing outwards of that opening then there is cabinetry surrounding it with noise insulation. So its as if its not there. Mine would be considered a usual 90000btu size unit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Guys we found the perfect condo in regards to size, location, and amenities.  Agent opens up the balcony, breathe in some beautiful Bangkok pollution. Look to my rite and i see the most ugliest largest air conditioning compressor i had ever seen in my life sitting rite there. 

Owner / agent had hid it in all photos before viewing. It's put us rite off ! All our dreams of sitting on a balcony, sipping on some quaint British tea, relaxing were blown out of the water as we realised there would be a waft of 'heat hitting us' from this ugly looking creature. 

Now chemically speaking can anyone tell me how safe these compressor units are in terms of pollution, the air that is released etc ? I mean if it is pumping in clean air into your room, then is it emitting dirty air out ? 

I can't fathom how a condo owner would spend millions to build a state of the art of condo, then skimp on the air conditioning units and just throw them on the balcony. 

Can someone also tell me how some condos don't have a compressor unit on the balcony? Is it just cleverly hidden ?

Buy one older appartments in Hua Hin area 120-140m with 30-50m2 balconies. Corner appartments recommended. 

Cant get better appartments than that. Solution 2, buy two appointments next to each other, and use one balcony for the aircon units ????

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

So am i to conclude that these condos that put a compressor on the balcony are actually a major negative, and this is an actual 'skid mark' on the condo ?

No shortage of fan rooms to select from if your can,t handle compressor noise, put the savings towards some furniture!! 

So if Freon is toxic. It is released in small quantities from fridges. I wonder then how much is released from a full blasting compressor unit ?

To say it is harmless i think is a tad incorrect from my 20 minute google course i just done. 

spacer.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

There are some condos with central aircon same as hotel rooms. No ugly compressor unit. That is until your own condo units a/c stop working, often in less than 10 years from personal experience. Replace it cost far more than a stand alone split compressor unit. So most will then buy a split type a/c with a big ugly compressor outdoors.

If you really found the perfect condo as you say, you are nitpicking about the compressor unit, and have many options given by members here.

Can't stop thinking .... do you really want to invest 6-?? Million baht on a 2br condo, or is something else holding you back?

Every problem has a solution. If the solution isn't good enough, maybe something else is the actual problem.

Hot air flow can be redirected, and the ugly unit can be totally hidden. Problem solved. No?

You can probably conclude that majority accept how it's done here, or find a solution like larger size balcony or move/build in (hide) the compressor unit.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

So if Freon is toxic. It is released in small quantities from fridges. I wonder then how much is released from a full blasting compressor unit ?

To say it is harmless i think is a tad incorrect from my 20 minute google course i just done. 

spacer.png

Gas shouldn't be leaking, if it is, get it fixed

• Thumbs Up 2