Buying a tent

StayinThailand2much

What do you consider cheap? I seen recently a mid range brand that looks decent called ''mobi garden tent'' in various dimensions on Lazada. From 2-3K baht, 5 stars on 600 sales.

Would also buy a tarp on Lazada on top, they are cheap and come with poles. Sleeping bag I guess I would buy in Australia itself, the ones here are not isolated much.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Which place is better for buying a cheap 1-person tent (one-time use) for hiking in Oz (Australian Alps) - Bangkok or Melbourne? And what shop?

I have a nature hike one I will sell you, never used.

tent-naturehike-cloud-up-1-lightweight-1

21 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Which place is better for buying a cheap 1-person tent (one-time use) for hiking in Oz (Australian Alps) - Bangkok or Melbourne? And what shop?

for one time use, I would buy a cheap tent in Thailand, for a sleeping bag depending on the time of year - summer weight would be cheaper in Thailand however winter-time I would be a quality low temp. rating bag in Aus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I've never bought a tent before, but I figure I could put it into a large bag. How many kilograms should I plan for?

Perhaps weight is not the issue but packaging size. 

Here are two examples of a 2 man tent and the packed away size (both weigh 3 kgs).

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 13.32.46.png

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 13.33.48.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Cheaper tents tend to be heavier. 5 kgs at a minimum. Higher quality tents use alloys. Lower weight. 

Alloys? AFAIK lightweight tents and struts are made of fabric and fibreglass.

• Like 2

Cheap is relative.  But I'd get a 2 person tent, and they're barely big enough to be roomy for 1 person.

Make sure it seals, zips up very secure, as you don't want anything slithering in and cuddling up to you.

As suggested, definitely get a tarp.  Or 2, using the 2nd stung up as additional rain protection.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 12:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You can't go too far wrong looking at Decathlon... 

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/p/8357352/camping-tents/2-man-pop-up-tent-2-seconds-fb

The same items are more expensive in Australia (so if you dont mind carrying the tent....)... 

If I were in the market I would go here also.

I was in Decathlon just yesterday here in Pattaya and noticed they have a discount section where items are returned and there were a lot of tents at a cheaper price than brand new.  If the OP just wants it for a one time use, maybe this is the way to go.  Check the Decathlons near you and see if they have a discount/return section.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 1:05 PM, recom273 said:

I have a nature hike one I will sell you, never used.

tent-naturehike-cloud-up-1-lightweight-1

I know you say unused, but have you ever unpacked or just set up as a test before?   If so, how is the construction, seam sealing etc?

Have been tempted by these on Shopee as they in photographs look better than the Decathlon options, but hesitate to buy total junk sight unseen.

Decathlon uses a very heavy coated material for theirs, likely pretty durable and waterproof despite the cheap price, but heavy.  Sometimes lighter weight tents use sub-par cloth, especially when it comes to waterproofness.   You really want 1500mm+ of water column minimum in floor and fly material, and many cheap coated fabrics don't meet this.

And to those confused about the pole material, only the cheapest dome tents use fiberglass.  Even these 'cheap' 2-4000 baht Naturehike tents use aluminium alloy, generally 7000 series alloys to be specific.

3 minutes ago, n8sail said:

I know you say unused, but have you ever unpacked or just set up as a test before?   If so, how is the construction, seam sealing etc?

Have been tempted by these on Shopee as they in photographs look better than the Decathlon options, but hesitate to buy total junk sight unseen.

Decathlon uses a very heavy coated material for theirs, likely pretty durable and waterproof despite the cheap price, but heavy.  Sometimes lighter weight tents use sub-par cloth, especially when it comes to waterproofness.   You really want 1500mm+ of water column minimum in floor and fly material, and many cheap coated fabrics don't meet this.

Decathlon has quite a range, if near a decathlon its well worth a visit and going to checkout the quality etc yourself. 

3 minutes ago, n8sail said:

And to those confused about the pole material, only the cheapest dome tents use fiberglass.  Even these 'cheap' 2-4000 baht Naturehike tents use aluminium alloy, generally 7000 series alloys to be specific.

Silly discussion about poles - there are rigid poles and flexible poles. 

The type of pole and material you have depends purely on the type of tent you have, whether its a-frame, popup, rigid etc... 

On 9/3/2023 at 12:42 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Australia has no alps.  Prices are eyewateringly high in Australia...as you will find out.

But it online here in Thailand on shopee or lazada....literally thousands to chose from.  Camping is very fashionalble now in Asia.

The season of your visit is also important.  If you are visiting the southern highlands.  Very cold in the winter buy very hot in the summer.

By the way.  Hiking in Tasmania will be a lot more rewarding for you.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Decathlon has quite a range, if near a decathlon its well worth a visit and going to checkout the quality etc yourself. 

Silly discussion about poles - there are rigid poles and flexible poles. 

The type of pole and material you have depends purely on the type of tent you have, whether its a-frame, popup, rigid etc... 

I've been to Decathlon many times and seen the readily available stock.  In fact Decathlon are my customer, but for a different textile-based industry, not tents.

Allow me to clarify my comment about poles:  Free-standing, dome-style camping tents, as are being discussed here, unless very very cheap (below ~1500 baht), nearly always use various alloys of aluminium.

I'm well aware of other styles of tents; certainly there are rigid pole 'A' frame tents and also tarps and lean-tos and Teepees that use non-flexible poles. Doesn't appear to be what the OP is looking for.

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Australia has no alps.  Prices are eyewateringly high in Australia...as you will find out.

But it online here in Thailand on shopee or lazada....literally thousands to chose from.  Camping is very fashionalble now in Asia.

The season of your visit is also important.  If you are visiting the southern highlands.  Very cold in the winter buy very hot in the summer.

By the way.  Hiking in Tasmania will be a lot more rewarding for you.

I'm glad I don't rely on you for weather & geography info.

https://www.bbcearth.com/news/australias-winter-wonderland

https://xplorevic.com/does-it-snow-in-australia/

What is an interesting fact about the Australian Alps?

The alps are also home to unique cold climate adapted plants and animals—from alpine daisies to snow gums, and from mountain pygmy possums to migratory Bogong moths. Due to their high peaks and seasonal snow, the Australian Alps strongly influence the hydrology of eastern Australia.

30 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I'm glad I don't rely on you for weather & geography info.

https://www.bbcearth.com/news/australias-winter-wonderland

https://xplorevic.com/does-it-snow-in-australia/

What is an interesting fact about the Australian Alps?

The alps are also home to unique cold climate adapted plants and animals—from alpine daisies to snow gums, and from mountain pygmy possums to migratory Bogong moths. Due to their high peaks and seasonal snow, the Australian Alps strongly influence the hydrology of eastern Australia.

Guess he's partially correct, there are no "alps" in Australia, the high mountain area is designated as the "high country" plus the Australian snow fields are approx. 50% of the area of the Swiss Alps. 

4 hours ago, n8sail said:

I had a Big C dome tent, and I used it a few times, motorbike camping in Malaysia. I picked up a few bits of nature hike kit and before Covid upgraded a lot of my kit, the tent being one thing. I'm not really into the technical aspects of tents, it had some good reviews, was readily available, fitted the purpose. 

• Like 2