Ex-Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio jailed for 22 years for Capitol riot

Social Media

image.png

The Proud Boys' former leader has been jailed for 22 years for orchestrating the US Capitol riot, the longest sentence so far for a ringleader of the raid on the seat of American democracy.

Enrique Tarrio was convicted of seditious conspiracy, a US Civil War-era charge, and other counts in May.

Tarrio, 39, was not in Washington during the riot, but helped organise the far-right group's involvement.

More than 1,100 people have been arrested on Capitol riot charges.

Before he learned his fate on Tuesday, an emotional Tarrio apologised to police and residents of Washington DC for his role in the 6 January 2021 riot, when supporters of then-US President Donald Trump stormed Congress as lawmakers certified Joe Biden's election victory.

"I am extremely ashamed and disappointed that they were caused grief and suffering," he told Washington's federal courthouse. "I will have to live with that shame for the rest of my life."

Tarrio, wearing an orange jail uniform, added: "I was my own worst enemy.

"My hubris convinced me that I was a victim and targeted unfairly."

Acknowledging that Mr Trump had lost the November 2020 presidential election, Tarrio said: "I am not a political zealot.

"Inflicting harm or changing the results of the election was not my goal.

"I didn't think it was even possible to change the results of the election."

"Please show me mercy," Tarrio asked the judge. "I ask you that you not take my 40s from me."

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

That’s what you get when you believe in a fraud! hey trump can you feel the walls closing in?it’s gonna be your turn soon!and just think you are going to be in the tank with these people have a nice sleep tonight mr trump!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1