Dilapidated Desk Chair: Re-Cover? Discard? Any Off-The-Shelf Solutions?

GammaGlobulin

This is the third time I have purchased a “leather” desk chair, and the ones I am getting in CM typically fall apart after a year or two of use.

The first one, I sent to the bin, or had a junk-man/scrap-dealer take away.

Now, I am wondering if there is any very simple way to cover the “leather” of the chair, with something, so that I can continue using it; the metal mechanism, the gas lift, and the wheels seem in good shape. And the wheels needed replacing anyway with softer wheels to protect the wood floor.

Is there some easy way to cover this chair with an alternative to leather, such as a slipcover, or using some other quick solution?

image.png.0758bba22a1fedd9b7a04010e6f470f0.png

This is not my chair, but an image of a similar almost identical chair.

Also, the chairs I buy are cheap, about Bt.8000 or Bt.9000. This means that one should not expect to get leather for this price, and instead, they give you:

a. BONDED Leather (This kind of material has just GOT to be the WORST!)

image.png.fce32e1bb70b34a7824ca168e1b199cc.png

image.png.b4e181d821b8c2796c3b3e29fc7d7a14.png

b.  PU Leather

image.png.bb54ad43e638b989e0043d8bee60b35b.png

c.  Bicast Leather and another type made from scraps of leather bonded together using some type of adhesive

image.png.5a98579a8cb660e2c810cf0c21c6489f.png

These days, it seems hardly anyone buys good quality leather chairs for desk use. Maybe this is because, at least in CM, quality leather chairs seem overpriced. Recently, I have been recalling the days when I watched Bonanza, and just how durable those leather chairs appeared to be. In the US, maybe in Texas, especially, you can get good quality leather chairs for a reasonable price. Sort of like this one…

image.png.3d4a66b5c168032f4bce4431acff45ea.png

But since I am not in Texas, and rather than discard my dilapidated desk chair, I would like to cover it and continue to use it, as a second chair for my second desk.

Any ideas?

Tks.

Please Note: It's hard to guess why leather is expensive when there are so many people eating beef, these days. One would think there should be plenty of hides available...

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Did you notice that one of these faux types of leather might be vegan!

If the faux leather is vegan, it will tell you.

Again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you.

If I know they are out there (not the leather type), then I will keep looking.

Of course, I have seen a few UTUBE videos of people spending tremendous effort to produce uniquely designed cloth covers for their worn-out leatherette desk chairs, but I just need something utilitarian. The peelings from the chair cling to everything, and so the chair is not usable in this condition.

A couple years ago my wife took the pickup to have the drivers seat recovered. The guy that did it had several desk chairs in the workshop that had obviously been recovered. May be worth looking around for an auto seat repair shop in your area.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is the third time I have purchased a “leather” desk chair, and the ones I am getting in CM typically fall apart after a year or two of use.

My Mrs. puts these these covers on , don't know the name for them , they are what Thai females wear pre/post showering.

IMG_1395.jpeg

11 minutes ago, NE1 said:

My Mrs. puts these these covers on , don't know the name for them , they are what Thai females wear pre/post showering.

IMG_1395.jpeg

I tried using bedsheets.

But, they kept sliding around, and then off the chair.

So, I just bought a new chair.

Now, I think I might try the automotive repair shop solution, to check the price.

Those covers that your wife is using, I think you really need to secure them to make them work.

I know from experience.

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

who still uses a desk chair and sits rigidly at a desk?

unless they're a computer programmer with a desktop?

if you are using a laptop,  why not just ditch the chair and get a lazy boy recliner?

It very much depends on what you are doing. For just browsing aseannow or reading news you might do that. There are others playing games or doing something useful and than it is not the perfect solution. Typing for example is easier sitting at a desk.

Edited by msbkk

13 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

who still uses a desk chair and sits rigidly at a desk?

unless they're a computer programmer with a desktop?

if you are using a laptop,  why not just ditch the chair and get a lazy boy recliner?

I have two desktop computers, and also notebooks, which I often use at the same time, while sitting at my desk chair.

I uploaded a Topic to the DIY Forum recently concerning my need for more desk space, using two very large doors, and one extra door for my bread machine and three microwave ovens, and chicken roasting oven.

I need to spend much time in my desk chair, and they wear out fast.

This is another reason my cloth slipcovers would be a superior solution, compared to re-covering using some faux leather material.

• Love It 2

2 minutes ago, msbkk said:

doing something useful and than it is not the perfect solution

I don't play games.

I try to be useful.

This requires MUCH time sitting at desks.

The CLOTH slipcover solution would be best.

Easy to wash in the machine.

Then, good as new.

Also, in the cold season, more comfortable.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

A couple years ago my wife took the pickup to have the drivers seat recovered. The guy that did it had several desk chairs in the workshop that had obviously been recovered. May be worth looking around for an auto seat repair shop in your area.

Had mine done at a similar shop in Cha-am total cost 1200 baht,very happy with the result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Those covers that your wife is using, I think you really need to secure them to make them work.

I know from experience.

The chair I have , you can force the cover between the seat and back upright. It doesn't move.

By the way:

It's my belief that the faux leather on these chairs wears out more quickly when the sitter wears poorer quality clothing.

Jeans cause increased wear.

Expensive trousers are better.

No trousers is even better, from my experience.

But these days, I have taken to wearing silk pajamas, originally popularized by Hefner years ago.

image.png.e4acccf9f40a729efba995770b9587c8.png

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1