Dilapidated Desk Chair: Re-Cover? Discard? Any Off-The-Shelf Solutions?

GammaGlobulin

19 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am wondering if there is any very simple way to cover the “leather” of the chair, with something, so that I can continue using it

19 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please Note: It's hard to guess why leather is expensive when there are so many people eating beef, these days. One would think there should be plenty of hides available...

Quality leather is available, however you first have to find it and understand the structure of the leather and why the high quality of the particular softness that you want is unlikely to be cow or bull hide. 
There is certainly a lot of reasonable quality leather in the states. However you probably want pig skin or calf skin and that is much less available.

You can buy heavier duty leather in Thailand, I have a buffalo skin leather jacket that is probably 40 years old and was in daily use for about 20 years that has been relined several times and if I still rode and my waist hadn’t expanded would be in use today.

Good quality leather is not cheap and never has been, if you find cheap leather then it isn’t the layer that you want and it will wear fast.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought an office chair at Thai Watsadu about 8 years ago, for 2000 baht. It is still in good condition.

Comparing my chair's life to that of the OP, I would suggest his office furniture would last much longer if he spent less time composing puerile topics, and answering them multiple times.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I bought an office chair at Thai Watsadu about 8 years ago, for 2000 baht. It is still in good condition.

Comparing my chair's life to that of the OP, I would suggest his office furniture would last much longer if he spent less time composing puerile topics, and answering them multiple times.

Maybe.

But, what if my office chair were the only seat in the house?

Then what?

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please upload an image.

A Bt.2000 leather desk chair, I have yet to see.

Even ten years ago at OfficeMate, the cheaper leather desk chairs were over Bt.5000.

I am very interested in seeing what you were able to buy for Bt.2000.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

and one extra door for my bread machine and three microwave ovens, and chicken roasting oven.

The inevitable 3 microwave ovens post is going to go to 9 pages.

Relatedly, we have the standard Thai grey fake leather love seat and huge chair combo that we see in at least one out of three condo pics. Nothing keeps a textile from slipping off of it. We tried fabric tape; just a complete dead loss. 

11 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

The inevitable 3 microwave ovens post is going to go to 9 pages.

Relatedly, we have the standard Thai grey fake leather love seat and huge chair combo that we see in at least one out of three condo pics. Nothing keeps a textile from slipping off of it. We tried fabric tape; just a complete dead loss. 

Yes.

Bed sheets on the chair are impossible.

I have tried tying them down with everything available, but they still slip to the floor.

Slipcovers are OK because they are designed for this, and they are "fitted".

Also, the faux leather on the arms of the chair are in equally poor condition.

Probably, the easiest solution is the Auto Shop solution,

Or, maybe the Final Solution, if that does not work.

I would not need 9 pages to discuss the need for a single person to have three microwave ovens.

As you say, though, this could be a Topic to consider.

I will try to complete it before my upcoming sabbatical begins, in earnest.

• Love It 1

A reel of heavy duty black sticky tape.

There is nothing, but nothing, which cannot be fixed with the judicious application of "black nasty". The British Army during the Cold War was held together with the stuff. If the Russians had invented a solvent to dissolve the glue on it, dispersed perhaps by an airburst shell, we would have been left standing on the North German Plain in our underpants.

My brother is a particular fan of it, his wife, exasperated, once declared that if he predeceased her she would not screw down the coffin lid but stick it down with black tape!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

A reel of heavy duty black sticky tape.

There is nothing, but nothing, which cannot be fixed with the judicious application of "black nasty". The British Army during the Cold War was held together with the stuff. If the Russians had invented a solvent to dissolve the glue on it, dispersed perhaps by an airburst shell, we would have been left standing on the North German Plain in our underpants.

My brother is a particular fan of it, his wife, exasperated, once declared that if he predeceased her she would not screw down the coffin lid but stick it down with black tape!

Thank you for your endorsement of this indispensable tape.

It may work better on other things around here, than on my office chair.

• Love It 1

21 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Just go to an auto upholstery shop and have it done, around 1000 baht.

Or go to Lazada and buy a set of front seat covers, around 400 baht.

But for God's sake end this topic, I need to sleep!

Thank you.

In fact, another commenter earlier suggested the auto shop route, and it is the best suggestion so far, I think.

Lazada?

Never again will I buy anything like clothing or jeans or curtains, or anything like that.

Name brand electronics equipment from reliable suppliers, through Lazada, is still OK with me, though.

I wish you Sweet Dreams.

I also posted a very nice TOPIC about the use of podcasts to induce sleep, fast.

Would you like me to PM you the link to that Topic of mine?

No charge for doing so....

• Love It 1

Bought a Lazy Boy 'leather' office chair from Office Mate and after 6 months it started to deteriorate. Took it back, was replaced, and the same happened again. Several emails to LazyBoy in USA, even though they are made in Chaina, and I got reply saying Office MAte will refund the Bht 12000 I paid, or replace with another style of chair.

I got one of these with seat and back made from net..........perfect for last 4 years, very comfortable and not sweaty.

Even better........another full refund was received from LazyBoy USA. 

14 hours ago, save the frogs said:

who still uses a desk chair and sits rigidly at a desk?

unless they're a computer programmer with a desktop?

if you are using a laptop,  why not just ditch the chair and get a lazy boy recliner?

12 hours a day.... at my work, and a few more hours before/after work.

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Bought a Lazy Boy 'leather' office chair from Office Mate and after 6 months it started to deteriorate. Took it back, was replaced, and the same happened again. Several emails to LazyBoy in USA, even though they are made in Chaina, and I got reply saying Office MAte will refund the Bht 12000 I paid, or replace with another style of chair.

I got one of these with seat and back made from net..........perfect for last 4 years, very comfortable and not sweaty.

Even better........another full refund was received from LazyBoy USA. 

Image of chair made from net missing?

• Love It 1

46 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Image of chair made from net missing?

That's because I did not send one. Look on Office Mate, or Lotus, or Makro, etc etc.

chair.jpg

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 10:10 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Please upload an image.

A Bt.2000 leather desk chair, I have yet to see.

Even ten years ago at OfficeMate, the cheaper leather desk chairs were over Bt.5000.

I am very interested in seeing what you were able to buy for Bt.2000.

chair.jpg

On 9/7/2023 at 2:15 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

This is the third time I have purchased a “leather” desk chair, and the ones I am getting in CM typically fall apart after a year or two of use.

The first one, I sent to the bin, or had a junk-man/scrap-dealer take away.

Now, I am wondering if there is any very simple way to cover the “leather” of the chair, with something, so that I can continue using it; the metal mechanism, the gas lift, and the wheels seem in good shape. And the wheels needed replacing anyway with softer wheels to protect the wood floor.

Is there some easy way to cover this chair with an alternative to leather, such as a slipcover, or using some other quick solution?

image.png.0758bba22a1fedd9b7a04010e6f470f0.png

This is not my chair, but an image of a similar almost identical chair.

Also, the chairs I buy are cheap, about Bt.8000 or Bt.9000. This means that one should not expect to get leather for this price, and instead, they give you:

a. BONDED Leather (This kind of material has just GOT to be the WORST!)

image.png.fce32e1bb70b34a7824ca168e1b199cc.png

image.png.b4e181d821b8c2796c3b3e29fc7d7a14.png

b.  PU Leather

image.png.bb54ad43e638b989e0043d8bee60b35b.png

c.  Bicast Leather and another type made from scraps of leather bonded together using some type of adhesive

Please Note: It's hard to guess why leather is expensive when there are so many people eating beef, these days. One would think there should be plenty of hides available...

Not so many people eating beef today in Thailand. Can't find any beef in both of the Lotus's I shop every two days.