UK Motorbike licence classes.

transam

2 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Not sure if I'm clear about this; but he's bought a 125 cc Yamaha in Thailand without actually being here, and hasn't riden a motorcycle before ... is that right ? 

You are thinking too much, and none of your business regarding my chum. ????

Now if you have concrete info regarding my OP, WE, would be happy to read it......:clap2:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, transam said:

You are thinking too much, and none of your business regarding my chum. ????

Now if you have concrete info regarding my OP, WE, would be happy to read it......:clap2:

What a remarkably strange and rather rude reply. I was politely trying to establish what his situation was with regarding the ownership of the bike, how, and if, he had ridden it here before, and his prospects of becoming legal to ride it in Thailand.

If he doesn’t as you say, hold a UK or International Motorcycle license, then he won’t be able to acquire one in Thailand without taking the statutory test; or, of course, using an agent to circumnavigate the legitimate way ..... but given how long you've been here, you must know that already.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

What a remarkably strange and rather rude reply. I was politely trying to establish what his situation was with regarding the ownership of the bike, how, and if, he had ridden it here before, and his prospects of becoming legal to ride it in Thailand.

If he doesn’t as you say, hold a UK or International Motorcycle license, then he won’t be able to acquire one in Thailand without taking the statutory test; or, of course, using an agent to circumnavigate the legitimate way ..... but given how long you've been here, you must know that already.

You can stand down now................????....................????

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Just now, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Maybe you should, you might discover that there is life outside of this forum, that you are obviously addicted to.

Sunbeam, I have read many of your posts on this forum, please don't try your stuff on me.

Now stand down and move on, chap....????

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Sunbeam, I have read many of your posts on this forum, please don't try your stuff on me.

Now stand down and move on, chap....????

Conversely, I haven’t been able to garner the enthusiasm to read many of your comments on this forum; primarily because, a quick calculation indicates that I would need to read more than twenty of them every single day for more than ten years to acquaint myself with your posting history …

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

How is that remotely relevant to the thread ?... would you also like to know what they had for dinner ?

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Wrong... and thats the point of the thread - the question being asked. 

It may be possible for Trans' friend to secure a Thai Motorcycle licence based on the endorsements on his UK Driving Licence - no need for an agent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Conversely, I haven’t been able to garner the enthusiasm to read many of your comments on this forum; primarily because, a quick calculation indicates that I would need to read more than twenty of them every single day for more than ten years to acquaint myself with your posting history …

However, you've read a few of them on this thread and been unable to achieve a basic understanding of the question...   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

For OP, answer to your question is complicated because old days and now are different, and, some police and DLT treat British licence differently.

In old days, a Brit car license with just 50cc entitlement was good enough for everything, these days, it depends..., sometime okay, sometimes not. Some people on forum reply based on farang logic, but we can get different result in Thailand, as always...! 

Rental shops never care about licences, can show them anything, DLT office depends on the person behind the desk - they are getting more aware (I heard some paid agents can help there...????), and police, well, depends on the day of the week. But I know for a fact that some Phuket police know about this Brit license issue, 50cc given to all car drivers, but not allowed over 50cc, and now don't accept it any more, a lot of UK tourists are fined on rental bikes here ..., of course some not. 

I also heard IDP issued on UK car only licence, sometimes had stamp on the motorbike section, in old days..., that was also used to get Thai driving license. It's only £5, used to be, worth getting it (rather than sit full Thai test...????). But make sure he gets correct version of IDP for Thailand, there are two IDP types. 

12 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I think we can all read your problem.............????

As I said, stand down, you are looking a fool to readers............????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/9/2023 at 7:18 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

What a remarkably strange and rather rude reply.

True to form, dont take it personally.

I just found out the answer for him.

I will bet he doesnt thank me but just try to argue because he doesnt like the answer.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/9/2023 at 6:59 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Not sure if I'm clear about this; but he's bought a 125 cc Yamaha in Thailand without actually being here, and hasn't riden a motorcycle before ... is that right ? 

And soon to be setting up a GOFUNDME to pay for his medivac back to the UK.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Goat said:

That is there job to know. That is what they do.

I see you have not been given a straight answer on this thread after three days. Just opinions of what might/should be.

I just called them for you. 

The answer is he needs to get a Thai motorcycle licence. 50cc is not sufficient.

Took 5 minutes to get the answer.

Yeh, I bet you did..............................????

Stand down chap...............????

3 hours ago, Goat said:

True to form, dont take it personally.

I just found out the answer for him.

I will bet he doesnt thank me but just try to argue because he doesnt like the answer.

True to form, Goaty........????

Stand down chap.....????

4 hours ago, Goat said:

I just called them for you. 

The answer is he needs to get a Thai motorcycle licence. 50cc is not sufficient.

Took 5 minutes to get the answer.

It would be rather naive to think you are going to get anything close to a correct answer from a call.

The Op's friend should be able to get a Thai Motorcycle Licence with his UK license because the officers at the DLT are unlikely to be able to distinguish the endorsements and they simply see a silhouette of a motorcycle and thats good enough for them (usually).

I have received a Thai Motorcycle licence after presenting my UK Car licence (with the 50cc scooter / motorcycle endorsement).

5 hours ago, Goat said:

The answer in incorrect. 

I have proven so with my own experience of receiving a Thai MC licence with a British DL with the A1, A2, AM, A 79(3) endorsements that I believe Trans' friend also has. 

-------

Actually, its not the correct limit for the 50cc MC endorsement on a normal UK licence, but thats as good any any description as we're basically referring to 'moped style' bikes which have very low power.

Category AM

2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph).

This category also includes light quad bikes with:

unladen mass of not more than 350kg (not including batteries if it’s an electric vehicle)

maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)

Motorcycles

Category A1

Engine size up to 125cc

Power output of up to 11kW

Power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW/kg

This category also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

Category A2

Power output up to 35kW

Power to weight ratio not more than 0.2kW/kg

The motorbike must also not be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.

You can also drive motorbikes in category A1.

Category A 79 (3)

Restricted to Trikes with a power output more than 15kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would be rather naive to think you are going to get anything close to a correct answer from a call.

It is totally naive to think you will get an answer here. Hardly anyone can actually speak Thai. 

You cant either can you?

I didnt bother this time but in these situations I always get a name, be overly friendly and then you can hold them to it.

Life is so much easier when you you can read and speak, sort of not like being an illiterate, deaf mute.

That you doubt that you can not get a direct easy answer from a government department indicates indicates to me that your struggles come from not being able to communicate, not because of Thai incompetance. 

A Thai who couldnt speak English would similarily have a problem getting an answer from the Licence Office in the UK. An english speaking person would have no troubles.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Goat said:

It is totally naive to think you will get an answer here. Hardly anyone can actually speak Thai. 

You cant either can you?

I didnt bother this time but in these situations I always get a name, be overly friendly and then you can hold them to it.

Life is so much easier when you you can read and speak, sort of not like being an illiterate, deaf mute.

That you doubt that you can not get a direct easy answer from a government department indicates indicates to me that your struggles come from not being able to communicate, not because of Thai incompetance. 

A Thai who couldnt speak English would similarily have a problem getting an answer from the Licence Office in the UK. An english speaking person would have no troubles.

And there we have it, Goaty just looking for something to have a pop about, nothing changes, eh Goaty....????

Goaty, being Australian, actually told the bird on the phone what is on the back of the latest "UK" card licence regarding 3 motorcycle categories to explain my question, eh Goaty.......????

Stand down chap, you're dismissed........................:cowboy:........................????

2 minutes ago, transam said:

And there we have it, Goaty just looking for something to have a pop about, nothing changes, eh Goaty....

Makes sense to normal people that if you want to know something about a government regulation you call the relevant government department.

But for the illiterate non speakers strangely addicted to a forum they feel the need to hear it on the forum from someone on a visa forum.

Only then they will believe it, and only if it is the answer they want to hear.

After 80,000 posts it might be an idea to stand down and learn some of the local lingo instead.

I would give you the number and you could get your wife to call for you, but we are not allowed to post numbers on this forum. you could google it yourself. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Goat said:

Makes sense to normal people that if you want to know something about a government regulation you call the relevant government department.

But for the illiterate non speakers strangely addicted to a forum they feel the need to hear it on the forum from someone on a visa forum.

After 80,000 posts it might be an idea to stand down and learn some of the local lingo instead.

I would give you the number and you could get your wife to call for you, but we are not allowed to post numbers on this forum. you could google it yourself. 

Stand down chap, we have all taken notice of your latest pop....:cowboy:

And tiresome it is too....................:saai:

22 minutes ago, Goat said:

You cant either can you?

Agreed..  that also applies for the English language too...

As simply as I can put it...     I have received a Thai MC licence based on the lower class (i.3. 50cc MC endorsements on my UK Driving licence. 

So, even though you have been told over the phone that you 'cannot'... the reality is, I've done it, as have others. 

And that indicates to me that you have not been here for very long - I'm friends with numbers of people in positions of beurocratic and legal authority and they do not know all the rules.

IF you think every Thai who works in the DLT is going know the answer to all the questions they are asked, then you are not very observant. 

You may well have received the standard 'go to response' for many Thai's when they don't know an answer to a question.

Agreed...  but this isn't about being able to ask a question, this thread is about 'knowing' whether Trans' friend can get a Thai MC licence with his current UK Driving licence. 

You have called up and the DLT has said no. 

I have been there and done it for myself - So, you are wrong !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Goat said:

It doesn't make sense in Thailand - those answering the phones don't know and will give you any answer they can think of or simply say 'cannot'....

That said, it makes sense to you... because perhaps you are naive and have never been given the run around by people who cannot admit they do not know.

Wrong... you're making a fool of yourself again. People already answered the question that this is something the Ops friend can do, because those answering the questions have successfully achieved the desired outcome.

You're making a fool of yourself again.

Why would he need to call ????....  the question has been answered already. YES, he should be able to get a Thai MC licence with his UK Driving licence - its been done successfully enough times by enough forum members that it is work giving it a try.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Goat said:

Are you trying to help a friend or just argue with the truth?

1) Goat has phoned up and been told 'cannot'.

2) Myself and other Posters have successfully obtained a Thai MC Licence with a UK DL. 

Pretty simply really... rather pathetic and idiotic to argue in the face of actual first hand experience. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have been there and done it for myself - So, you are wrong !!!!

When? When I first got here if you wanted a visa extension you simply popped into any travel agent with you passport and 1000 baht and come back two days later and you would have a stamp from another country. 

Now you cant even stay here lang term on a tourist visa.

Lets see if he gets it before saying I am wrong.

If he does I am sure Trans will tell us.

If not there will be silence.