UK Motorbike licence classes.

transam

2 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Why do you continually make personal insults to people that disagree with you. Can you really not conduct yourself in a polite and civil manner ?

He's trolling without any knowledge and deliberately mudding the waters because he doesn't like the OP - You'll see this pattern in other threads with the same poster. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Why do you continually make personal insults to people that disagree with you. Can you really not conduct yourself in a polite and civil manner ?

Hey, you are way off-topic with your continuous moaning, give it a rest, please....????

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He's trolling without any knowledge and deliberately mudding the waters because he doesn't like the OP - You'll see this pattern in other threads with the same poster. 

Spot on, but he doesn't like Brits in general, it takes a while to catch up with his nonsense....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You are contradicting yourself. In an earlier comment you said that you had obtained your Thai motorcycle licence with your UK license that has among others, the  A1 endorsement. So your UK license permits riding motorcycles up to 125cc. So continually claiming to have obtained your Thai motorcycle licence without the correct endorsements on your UK license is blatantly untrue.

The OP said his friend does not have a UK motorcycle license so he will not have the A1 endorsement. Yet you still continue to insult people for disagreeing with your own inaccurate claims.

You are wrong and have now accused me of spreading 'blatantly untrue' information. 

This is why comments in response to GOAT are less than complimentary, because he is implying the the same thing (that I am lying) when I have personal experience to the contrary.

I posted a photo of the endorsements of my licence (maybe the photo was not clear enough - another posted below).

I only have AM and A endorsements. I don't have A1 or A2.

I had no issues getting a Thai MC licence based my on A & AM endorsements on my UK Driving licence - Nothing can be clearer than that - it is an indisputable fact yet you claim it is blatantly untrue, ergo you have accused me of lying.

I keep repeating that this is entirely possible - and there are those which keep arguing it isn't - those people are wrong and deliberately muddying the thread and are being responded to with an appropriate measure of disregard. 

The FACT is, that a Thai MC licence can be obtained with a UK Driving Licence with A and AM endorsements - its been done !!!!

AM endorsement - Ride a mopeds with speed range of 25 km/h to 45 km/h (rough top speed of 30mph) Ride small three-wheelers (up to 50 cc and below 4 kW) Ride light quadricycles (weighing under 350 kg, top speed 45 km/h)

image.png.0230237382fc03a50ef7c51e5179b5ab.png

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

au contraire, the only person muddying the waters is yourself; by repeatedly claiming that you acquired a Thai motorcycle licence without the requisite endorsements on your UK licence, when nothing could be further from the truth.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:
On 9/9/2023 at 5:36 PM, herfiehandbag said:

My UK licence allows me to ride a bike up to 50cc. When I went to get my Thai car licence they gave me a motorcycle license as well. That was 7 years ago mind you.

Apparently it was triggered by the little pictures on the back of the UK licence which covered your various entitlements.

Did the same less than a year ago when I renewed my car license.

Exactly this...   

Yet, even in the light of first hand experience we have fools who will accuse us that this is not possible. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

au contraire, the only person muddying the waters is yourself; by repeatedly claiming that you acquired a Thai motorcycle licence without the requisite endorsements on your UK licence, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Again you are accusing me of being a liar - Why ????

I've posted a copy of my UK Driving licence - you have the proof in front of you. 

You are mistaken.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Again you are accusing me of being a liar - Why ????

I've posted a copy of my UK Driving licence - you have the proof in front of you. 

You are mistaken.

This is what you said in a comment on Monday at 09.52

“I have proven so with my own experience of receiving a Thai MC licence with a British DL with the A1, A2, AM, A 79(3) endorsements that I believe Trans' friend also has”

The A1 endorsement entitles you to ride a motorcycle up to 125cc

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

So, it’s okay in your book for your “mate” to make nasty personal insults to people, but it’s way off topic if someone calls him out ….. it figures

You tried that stuff with me on another thread, give it a rest, makes you look daft.

As for "mates", you don't have a clue......

Give it a rest.................:ermm:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

No, if you call them you don’t have to tell them that your licence only allows you to ride a 50cc motorcycle. My wife called and simply asked what endorsements / categories are needed on a UK driving licence to obtain a Thai motorcycle licence. She called the Cha-Am office and they were fully aware of the requisite endorsements; however, that’s not to say other offices or staff might not be so well informed.

Expand  

That is still asking for precise information. It's not in any way the same as rocking up at an office and giving it a go.

Exactly - IF someone calls up and says...

.... "Hey, I only have a UK licence that allows me to ride up to 50cc, can I still get a full MC licence ?"

Or... "Hey, I only have a UK car licence that doesn't allow me to ride a bike, can I still get a full MC licence ?"

Of course the answer is going to be no...  The very nature of the question in the first place is going to return a 'nay' response - asking the question at all is naive and daft. 

The Cha-am office may be well informed, OR, Pilgrims wife provided already preloaded the 'nay' answer with the information she presented in the question. 

As you mention - Rocking up at a DLT and 'giving it a go' is the most viable option to secure a positive result - as has been proven by many posters already.

IF someone has any 'scooter' endorsement on their UK Driving Licence (in the form of the silhouetted etc), then 'give it a go' at any DLT first, even Cha-am as the desk office will have a different opinion than the person on the phone who's response was quite likely influenced by the 'detail' presented in the question. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

This is what you said in a comment on Monday at 09.52

“I have proven so with my own experience of receiving a Thai MC licence with a British DL with the A1, A2, AM, A 79(3) endorsements that I believe Trans' friend also has”

The A1 endorsement entitles you to ride a motorcycle up to 125cc

Fair enough - I made a mistake in listing the A1 and A2 endorsement, I don't have those. 

I can see why you were confused, although, I stated the comment below.

On 9/8/2023 at 2:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think the DLT know about or care about the endorsements on the UK driving licence.

I think the DLT simply see the 'Silhouette' of a motorcycle and thats good enough for them (or was). 

Thus: IF your overseas DL is in English and it has picture or Silhouette of any form of motorcycle on it, it may well be good enough to obtain a Thai MC licence. 

Answers contradicting the above are clearly wrong as first hand experience and other posters have proven with their first hand experience.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Not at Cha-Am though

How do you know that? Because one person you spoke to on the phone was able to recite the legal requirements to you?

Firstly being able to recite the requirements doesn't equate to being able to recognise them on any given international document.

Secondly, a different person (there was definitely more than one member of staff the last time I was at that particular office) may not even know the precise requirements in the first place [and, again, even if they do know them, they may still not be able to recognise them on a foreign license...]

Exactly....  As any of us... correction. Most of us with any experience here are well aware - the knowledge and professional  standards exampled in many 'official' offices around Thailand varies significantly.

I've had a to correct and immigration officer who had the wrong idea about regulations  he really should have been aware of. 

I've been able to use my yellow house book at the DLT as proof of address, yet in other DLT's this yellow house book is not accepted. 

Some guys are unable to get a yellow house book at all because their Amphur officer is being awkward. 

I would never take the word of one person over the phone when considering such matters - the only real 'proof of the pudding is in the eating'....      and many of us have 'eaten the pudding' and suggested, go ahead, give it a try. 

Not to give it a go would be dumb when there is no downside to trying.

• Thanks 1