UK Motorbike licence classes.

transam

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) Goat has phoned up and been told 'cannot'.

2) Myself and other Posters have successfully obtained a Thai MC Licence with a UK DL. 

Pretty simply really... rather pathetic and idiotic to argue in the face of actual first hand experience. 

Blind leading the blind.

Deaf leading the deaf.

Illiterate leading the lilliterates.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) Goat has phoned up and been told 'cannot'.

2) Myself and other Posters have successfully obtained a Thai MC Licence with a UK DL. 

Pretty simply really... rather pathetic and idiotic to argue in the face of actual first hand experience. 

He hasn't phoned anybody..............????

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

He hasn't phoned anybody..............????

He's an utter troll and deliberately mudding the waters with mindless misinformation. 

I've no idea what drives such fools. 

As already advised...   Your friend stands a good chance of being able to obtain a Thai MC licence with his British Driving Licence (if it has the motorcycle silhouettes on it) he should at least give it a try - This is first hand experience and something I have successfully achieved myself. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

He's an utter troll and deliberate mudding the waters with mindless misinformation. 

I've no idea what drives such fools. 

As already advised...   Your friend stands a good chance of being able to obtain a Thai MC licence with his British Driving Licence (if it has the motorcycle silhouettes on it) he should at least give it a try - This is first hand experience and something I have successfully achieved myself. 

The bloke has been here 40 years and is a newbie here.....:whistling:

Been trying to work out who it is/was...............????.....................???? 

19 hours ago, transam said:

The bloke has been here 40 years and is a newbie here.....:whistling:

Been trying to work out who it is/was...............????.....................???? 

Thailand has about 40,000 expats. About 200 post here max. So about half of one percent if that.

I find it both disturbing and hilarious that you are so isolated up in your Issan village miles away from anything that you think all expats in Thailand comment on this forum.

Last month i was at a function with over 250, more than post here, in one room. 

With 80,000 posts i commend you on your dedication everyday. But the reality is, for 99% of us, is that we have better things to do with our lives.

You will never see me at nights or weekends, usually when i am filling in some time when it is raining.

Might be time to stand down chap. There is a big beautiful world out there. You are really missing out.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

He's an utter troll and deliberately mudding the waters with mindless misinformation.

Obviously you and your mate dont have the language skills to ring up and ask a basic question. 

So you try to tear me down. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Goat said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Obviously you and your mate dont have the language skills to ring up and ask a basic question. 

So you try to tear me down. 

Oh dear....  talking of language skills - Can't you read basic English ???

I already have the Thai MC licence from a UK DL.

Why would I need to ring anyone up about this ?  - Its been done, I've done it, as have others...

You are simply wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Goat said:

Thailand has about 40,000 expats. About 200 post here max. So about half of one percent if that.

I find it both disturbing and hilarious that you are so isolated up in your Issan village miles away from anything that you think all expats in Thailand comment on this forum.

With 80,000 posts i commend you on your dedication everyday. But the reality is, for 99% of us, is that we have better things to do with our lives.

You will never see me at nights or weekends, usually when i am filling in some time when it is raining.

Might be time to stand down chap. There is a big beautiful world out there. You are really missing out.

You are criticising someone using this forum for using this forum while you are using this forum ????

Way to go... some quality grade A1 halfwittery right there !!!... 

And... you are still wrong !!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Goat said:

Erm... boasting about being at a function...  very strange. 

Also flawed logic, a lot more than 250 people contribute to this forum. 

You are just side stepping the reality that you are wrong and using some extremely flawed and bizare logic to justify something... I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with that comment - its hilariously juxtaposed from the thread. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Goat said:

:clap2:................Though your post is laughable, your second paragraph is totally wrong, I say again, totally wrong......????

Once again you show absolutely no credibility, so, you are dismissed, you can stand down now, till the bar closes....................:clap2:............????

4 hours ago, Goat said:
6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are simply wrong.

Ok, give them a call and see what they say.

Then get back to me. 

WOW...   You really are outrageously unintelligent....

Why do I need to call to prove that something I have already done can be done ?????

That has to be the most stupid suggestion I have ever read on this forum.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 2:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone else recognising the irony in someone suggesting there's 'life outside of this forum' while commenting on this forum !!!... 

Some guys just can't help but make utter tools of themselves on a thread they're trying to derail with stupidity.

I see that you have replied to four of my comments, or partial comments, none of which, you will note, were addressed to you, and you have done so in an aggressive and confrontational manner; this I believe, constitutes trolling.

However, that notwithstanding, and for your edification, I am not in the least bit interested in anything at all that you have to say to me. You obviously want an ongoing confrontation with someone, so I suggest that you choose someone that visits this forum as frequently as yourself, because I do not spend every waking hour on here, and only visit periodically when my busy life allows the time   ….

• Sad 1

On 9/9/2023 at 2:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone else recognising the irony in someone suggesting there's 'life outside of this forum' while commenting on this forum !!!... 

This “let’s all gang up on him” line, distills the very essence of trolling. Inviting others to attack or criticise somebody else, and it speaks volumes about how you choose to conduct yourself on this forum.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

WOW...   You really are outrageously unintelligent....

Why do I need to call to prove that something I have already done can be done ?????

That has to be the most stupid suggestion I have ever read on this forum.

Why do you continually make personal insults to people that disagree with you. Can you really not conduct yourself in a polite and civil manner ?

On 9/9/2023 at 5:36 PM, herfiehandbag said:

My UK licence allows me to ride a bike up to 50cc. When I went to get my Thai car licence they gave me a motorcycle license as well. That was 7 years ago mind you.

Apparently it was triggered by the little pictures on the back of the UK licence which covered your various entitlements.

Did the same less than a year ago when I renewed my car license.

My (Thai) wife called the Land & Transport office at Cha-Am, and they know about UK driving licences. They told her that to obtain a Thai motorcycle license, the UK licence must show qualification for category A or A1. Any other office that has issued a licence without those categories has done so incorrectly. However, once issued, I am sure they are legal, and would probably not be questioned again.

The OP said his friend does not have a UK motorcycle license, so he will not have either of those categories, and will probably need to take a test to legally obtain a license.

More of a concern is that the OP said his friend had never been on a bike in the UK, so good luck to him learning to ride a bike in Thailand.

On 9/11/2023 at 11:10 AM, richard_smith237 said:

As already advised...   Your friend stands a good chance of being able to obtain a Thai MC licence with his British Driving Licence (if it has the motorcycle silhouettes on it) he should at least give it a try - This is first hand experience and something I have successfully achieved myself

You are contradicting yourself. In an earlier comment you said that you had obtained your Thai motorcycle licence with your UK license that has among others, the  A1 endorsement. So your UK license permits riding motorcycles up to 125cc. So continually claiming to have obtained your Thai motorcycle licence without the correct endorsements on your UK license is blatantly untrue.

The OP said his friend does not have a UK motorcycle license so he will not have the A1 endorsement. Yet you still continue to insult people for disagreeing with your own inaccurate claims.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:42 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I have received a Thai Motorcycle licence after presenting my UK Car licence (with the 50cc scooter / motorcycle endorsement).

No you haven’t, stop being dishonest with people. Your UK license has the A1 endorsement, entitling you to ride any motorcycle up to 125cc.

20 hours ago, Goat said:

Ok, give them a call and see what they say.

Then get back to me. 

When you give them a call you have to give the full details of the request ie "My driving licence only allows me to ride a 50cc motorcycle. Is that sufficient to convert to a Thai license?"

Obviously the answer is no. It's akin to phoning up the police and asking if it's okay to bang a prostitute here.

The point is, when the staff at the transport office see the licence, they're in all likelihood not going to know that the endorsement is for 50cc bikes only, and you're obviously not going to volunteer the information at the time.

I think you probably know that.... I'm guessing you're just trying to wind up somebody that you presumably have some kind of history with. But just in case you really weren't aware of the difference between the two situations, you are now (providing your reasoning skills are sufficient to process the above).

Edited by JayClay
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 3:51 PM, transam said:

It seems there are now many classes of bike licence in the UK and how to get one, way different to when I was a kid, which was up to 250cc on "L" plates, pass your test and ride what you like.

My question for clarity. 

My friend is coming to live in LOS, he has a 125cc Yamaha Grand Filano here. He does not have a UK motorbike licence, but on the back of his licence he can ride a 50cc moped with no licence, then the other m/c classes are blanked out, a friend told him LOS will give you a motorcycle licence on the "back of" the 50cc moped. I said I can't see that as he has never been on a bike in the UK.

I read that even to ride a 50cc thingy you must do some sort of test. If he is going to try and get a m/b licence on the back of his UK licence, will an AA/RAC driving permit say he has a m/c licence or will it say no licence, just  the 50cc thingy. 

Anyone know.....? 

I was in the exact same situation. I had to take a test for the motorbike license but not for the car, but there were computerised written tests for both. It was some time ago. I never bothered renewing my motorbike license and have never had a problem driving the bike which a 160cc Honda.

24 minutes ago, JayClay said:

When you give them a call you have to give the full details of the request ie "My driving licence only allows me to ride a 50cc motorcycle. Is that sufficient to convert to a Thai license?"

No, if you call them you don’t have to tell them that your licence only allows you to ride a 50cc motorcycle. My wife called and simply asked what endorsements / categories are needed on a UK driving licence to obtain a Thai motorcycle licence. She called the Cha-Am office and they were fully aware of the requisite endorsements; however, that’s not to say other offices or staff might not be so well informed.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

No, if you call them you don’t have to tell them that your licence only allows you to ride a 50cc motorcycle. My wife called and simply asked what endorsements / categories are needed on a UK driving licence to obtain a Thai motorcycle licence. She called the Cha-Am office and they were fully aware of the requisite endorsements; however, that’s not to say other offices or staff might not be so well informed.

That is still asking for precise information. It's not in any way the same as rocking up at an office and giving it a go.

8 minutes ago, JayClay said:

That is still asking for precise information. It's not in any way the same as rocking up at an office and giving it a go.

Absolutely, I agree; however, the OP is trying to find out if his friend can get a Thai motorcycle licence without the correct endorsements on his UK driving licence, prior to actually applying. The answer is officially no, but as you say, just rocking up at an office and giving it a go might work. Not at Cha-Am though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Not at Cha-Am though

How do you know that? Because one person you spoke to on the phone was able to recite the legal requirements to you?

Firstly being able to recite the requirements doesn't equate to being able to recognise them on any given international document.

Secondly, a different person (there was definitely more than one member of staff the last time I was at that particular office) may not even know the precise requirements in the first place [and, again, even if they do know them, they may still not be able to recognise them on a foreign license...]