Painting laminated kitchen cabinets

bangkokgalaxy

Hello everyone. My landlord would like to refinish the cabinets in a condo unit. They are simple, laminated particle board cabinet doors (see pic). 

I have read that this process involves cleaning, priming, light sanding, then finishing with a proper paint for kitchen area surfaces...as summarized

in this article:  https://www.bhg.com/kitchen/cabinets/styles/painting-laminate-cabinets-qa/

Does anyone have any experience with this type of project? Also, I think it might be easiest to remove the cabinet doors and take them to an

offsite contractor who can do this multi-step process with less disruption than doing it in an occupied rental unit. Any referrals or sources in the

Bangkok area would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

You should ask the Landlord what he means by refinishing the cabinets. Or if he really intends on doing a proper job.

He won't tear them out and replace them. But he's willing to refinish (paint). I am investigating how to do a "proper job" so I can communicate it to him and he can then hire the right person to do it correctly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

He won't tear them out and replace them. But he's willing to refinish (paint). I am investigating how to do a "proper job" so I can communicate it to him and he can then hire the right person to do it correctly. 

Your idea of removing them and taking them to the correct place is the best. An automotive repair shop will have the capability of doing the finishing, though they may require surface prep to be done first and may refuse the job as they have no idea of the substructure.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

There is doing the job and then there is doing the job right... I like to do things right, but it is OK to just do the job when it comes to enhancing kitchen cabinets... lightly sand everything to remove the airborne grease and impurities that have settled onto the cabinets and paint with a quality oil based paint... they will look clean and new in no time... I would however, remove the doors and hardware and do the hardware side separately... then rehang the doors to finish the front. 

Deffo take the doors off first. Noticed the handy-men in my condo block this week refurbishing a door. Took it outside to the car park area, sanded by hand, layer of sealer then glued a layer of wood veneer.  End result looked like a new door. All depends if you want the wood effect or not.