TikTok Fraud

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

QR code is not always an option. 

That's right, I never use my bank pay by QR code for unknown businesses, I use cash or COD if I do shopping on Lazada or shoppee. 
But I still think the best is not keeping large fund in debit card account. Unlike some people who keep several hundred thousands in the same account that has an issued debit card on. 

19 hours ago, msbkk said:

Not sure if some fraudsters just try all kind of card number combinations until a correct match is found. 

I think it must be something like that. Last month I got an SMS from my credit card bank that an attempt was made to charge the card (this 1 is not in regular use and hardly ever online) but they put a song expiration date so the transaction didn't go through. There were actually 2 attempts within about 10 minutes. I called the bank and they said it was online transaction. I asked to replace the card so the original was instantly cancelled and I got a new one in the mail 3 days later...

13 hours ago, doctormann said:

I suspect, in my case, that a rogue Lazada trader has sold on my debit card details to whomever.  I recently made a couple of online Lazada purchases (not using their app - did it from my PC, as I usually do).  Maybe have to revert to COD, which is far less convenient.

I think that we are going to see more and more of this type of fraud as we are pushed into a cashless society.  It's already getting more difficult to live without a smart phone now.

There is no way I would give my CC or ATM debit card details to anyone in Thailand,  and certainly not Lazada or Shopee .... you cannot trust anyone,  even email addresses and phone numbers are sold by third parties.

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 1

Tik Tok is owned by a Chinese company, not google.  There is no charge to use it. 
0.99 USD is only 99 cents.  It was obviously a test to see if the card is active.  And to see if you caught the charge.  If you didn’t catch it and cancel the card.  Then whoever was doing it would probably proceed with transactions. 

On 9/8/2023 at 8:09 AM, Tropicalevo said:

I haven't because I refuse to use apps.

However, at least three of my friends have complained of the same problem.

Apparently, the only way to stop it is to change your debit card.

"Using apps" has nothing to do with it. The charge is fraudulent and is merely labelled as "Google TikTok".

On 9/8/2023 at 7:47 PM, doctormann said:

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Yes I have but not Tik Tok. Circumstances:-

Whilst asleep, at 02.30 am my mobile phone buzzed to inform me that my debit card had been used to extract money from my bank account in Malaysian Ringits. My debit card was in my wallet alongside me. Shortly afterwards a second debit was made, also in Ringits. Later during the morning (before my bank opened) two further debits were made in Ringits. I have never been to Malaysia. I went to my bank which cancelled my debit card and issued me with a new one. From my statement record, it transpired all four payments, totalling a mere 14US$ (conversion from Ringits), had been credited to a Facebook account. My bank was extremely helpful and credited the small loss back to my account. Obviously my card had been cloned. Fortunately I took immediate action before potentially large sums were being withdrawn. No problems since and I never found out details of the FB account, but my bank did.

I wish debit cards would have the "Lock and Unlock" feature that most credit cards have now.  I keep my credit cards locked all the time.  When I need to use it I just log  into the mobile app, unlock it, make my purchase, then lock it again.  Can't do that with a debit card.

5 hours ago, Jaybott said:

I wish debit cards would have the "Lock and Unlock" feature that most credit cards have now.  I keep my credit cards locked all the time.  When I need to use it I just log  into the mobile app, unlock it, make my purchase, then lock it again.  Can't do that with a debit card.

My TTB 'all free' debit card does indeed have lock/unlock options.  In fact, it's better than that because not only can you temporarily block the card but you can selectively block it from overseas use and for online purchases.  The card that is giving me the current problem had the online shopping option enabled - now turned off and the card temporarily blocked.  When I get a replacement card I shall only activate the online shopping option if I actually want to purchase an item online - and then only for as long as it takes to complete the transaction.

There have been no further attempts to raid my account since last Friday.  Card will be cancelled and a new one obtained just as soon as I can get to the bank.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Blocking your card and visiting the branch for a new one is definitely a wise decision to protect yourself. As for reaching out to TTB, I totally understand your frustration with the language barrier. Have you tried contacting their customer support via email or any other method? Sometimes, they might have English-speaking representatives available to assist you.

40 minutes ago, DaltonSchmidt said:

Blocking your card and visiting the branch for a new one is definitely a wise decision to protect yourself. As for reaching out to TTB, I totally understand your frustration with the language barrier. Have you tried contacting their customer support via email or any other method? Sometimes, they might have English-speaking representatives available to assist you.

The problem that I was having with the lack of English language support on the TTB help line has been resolved.  To get English you have to press 9 but there seems to be a glitch.  If you wait until you get the 'for English. press 9' prompt then you don't get English.  However, if you press 9 as soon as the line connects, you do.  Very odd!

On 10/4/2023 at 1:36 AM, DaltonSchmidt said:

It's worth a shot! In the meantime, it's essential to keep an eye on your account for any other suspicious activities. It's always better to be safe than sorry. By the way, I'm new here, but have you heard about the recent trend of cheap TikTok likes? It's been getting a lot of attention lately.

• 6 months later...
On 9/8/2023 at 7:47 PM, doctormann said:

Just noticed a charge to my TTB account of 0.99 USD, in favor of Google TikTok.  This appears to have been transacted via my TTB debit card without any authorization from me.

I do have a Google account but have never had any dealings whatsoever with TikTok.  I don't have a subscription to TikTok and nothing shows up on my Google account subscription listing so I am assuming that this is a fraudulent charge.

I have tried to contact TTB with no success - their English language contact number does not provide an English speaker.

So, I have temporarily blocked my card and I guess that I'll need to go into the branch - possibly get a new card.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Contact the Chinese government they will refund you. TikTok is owned by a Chinese company.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Contact the Chinese government they will refund you. TikTok is owned by a Chinese company.

Yes, very funny!

TTB refunded the money and gave me a new card.  Just best to not enable a card for online purchase until you actually make the purchase and then disable it again.

• Thumbs Up 1