Using Bolt with a credit card

cbass37

I used Bolt for the first time today, and got a bike for a relatively short ride to the mall. I had registered my card because I hate generating more change than I strictly need. So I book the bike using my card (the default payment method) and when we arrived the driver got super angry that I had payed with a card.

I was very confused, because I assumed they can see that ahead of time. I guess not. I was in the middle of handing him a cash tip when he started in on me, telling me I should have told him ahead of time it was going to be on the card. Needless to say, I put the tip back in my pocket and he sped off quite angry.

Is it normal that the Bolt guys don't want you to use a card? Or maybe just bike drivers?

I used Grab a lot when I lived in the Philippines, and I've used them here and nothing has been said about me using a card (in PH or here). Of course, I haven't used a Grab bike yet....

Edited by cbass37

2 hours ago, cbass37 said:

I used Bolt for the first time today, and got a bike for a relatively short ride to the mall. I had registered my card because I hate generating more change than I strictly need. So I book the bike using my card (the default payment method) and when we arrived the driver got super angry that I had payed with a card.

I was very confused, because I assumed they can see that ahead of time. I guess not. I was in the middle of handing him a cash tip when he started in on me, telling me I should have told him ahead of time it was going to be on the card. Needless to say, I put the tip back in my pocket and he sped off quite angry.

Is it normal that the Bolt guys don't want you to use a card? Or maybe just bike drivers?

I used Grab a lot when I lived in the Philippines, and I've used them here and nothing has been said about me using a card (in PH or here). Of course, I haven't used a Grab bike yet....

Might take a week to get paid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That's the problem, the driver doesn't know that yet. 

Who cares what they know. At the destination, they see the fare is paid, no need to stick around and see if they are angry, hungry, horny, you can just get off the bike and go.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Who cares what they know. At the destination, they see the fare is paid, no need to stick around and see if they are angry, hungry, horny, you can just get off the bike and go.

Ever heard of the concept of being polite?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Ever heard of the concept of being polite?

I give what I get. Many Bolt drivers I've had are not what I would consider polite so if it's rude for me to just exit the vehicle at my destination, knowing the fare is paid, I can happily accept that.

Edited by Ohyesuare

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The drivers can see its a Card payment, its the same for Bolt & Grab.

He sure seemed surprised when we arrived, which led me to conclude that the Bolt drivers can't see the method of payment ahead of time.

Grab puts that placeholder payment when the driver accepts, so I can imagine they actually work slightly differently. I've never had a Grab driver display any surprise when we arrived, neither here nor in the Philippines. And I used Grab quite a bit in PH.

I have a problem with a lot of grab drivers recently they see that I paid by card and then try telling me that they need the same amount in cash as well to cover expenses like petrol. When I tell them that they get what grab gives them they refuse to come pick me up. I will then Screenshot the conversation and report them to grab. Grab usually responds quickly and say that the drivers were in the wrong and they get a strike against them.  Supposedly they get blocked from future attempts to pick you up also.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

Its very rude to the driver to use a card....No telling how long they must wait to be paid....

Things run on cold hard cash in Thailand....You should ALWAYS CARRY CASH to pay for things...

I seem to use my bank phone app for everything these days.

Deliveries, local market, food stalls, vet, coffee shop ...........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 8:56 AM, PattayaKevin said:

I have a problem with a lot of grab drivers recently they see that I paid by card and then try telling me that they need the same amount in cash as well to cover expenses like petrol. When I tell them that they get what grab gives them they refuse to come pick me up. I will then Screenshot the conversation and report them to grab. Grab usually responds quickly and say that the drivers were in the wrong and they get a strike against them.  Supposedly they get blocked from future attempts to pick you up also.

Yeah they're always figuring out a new scam. In Chiang Mai last year, they started contacting after accepting the fare and saying it was too low and would try to negotiate a higher price. I just reported them to GRAB and looked again or used In-Drive where negotiation is expected. 

9 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Its very rude to the driver to use a card....No telling how long they must wait to be paid....

Things run on cold hard cash in Thailand....You should ALWAYS CARRY CASH to pay for things...

Seriously... get a grip... 

Some of the stuff I read on this forum border on the outright idiotic... 

For GRAB - receiving credit card payments, drivers get paid into their Grab Wallet immediately.

I have not discussed this with a BOLT driver, but as the Apps are very similar, I imagine this to be the same. 

NOW... with regards to your comment... 'You should ALWAYS CARRY CASH'.....  thats also utter rubbish... everyone takes e-payment now... From the noodle shop to the wet-market... (PromptPay is a very simple transaction).

I'm trying to remember the last time I used cash in Thailand... Its been a couple of weeks and was probably a flag-fall taxi.

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm trying to remember the last time I used cash in Thailand... Its been a couple of weeks and was probably a flag-fall taxi.

And why did you have to pay this particular cab in cash..... does the reason invalidate some of the prior comment you made?

Some of these older WIN guys I would never expect them to accept other payment methods than cash, in fact I keep plenty change to avoid 'no hab change' scenarios. And my Bolt profile says my preferred payment is cash so I should stick to that.... 

I expect I will get into the QR code scan thing in time. 

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And why did you have to pay this particular cab in cash..... does the reason invalidate some of the prior comment you made?

Because it was a flag-fall taxi and it was late...  nearly all other transactions are digital - that invalidates no comment whatsoever.

Some of these older WIN guys I would never expect them to accept other payment methods than cash, in fact I keep plenty change to avoid 'no hab change' scenarios. And my Bolt profile says my preferred payment is cash so I should stick to that.... 

I don't use the Win riders (its been years) however, I'd agree, paying these guys in cash is probably simpler and it helps to keep some cash at hand for such scenarios... (I have no idea how much cash I have in my wallet now, its been so long since I looked, it could be 200 baht, it could 5000 baht).

On the Grab or Bolt Apps the setting is for 'default payment' method, thus, your payment registers to the 'driver / rider' as whatever your default payment method is unless otherwise adjusted in the booking phase of the transaction. 

I expect I will get into the QR code scan thing in time. 

PromtPay is incredibly simple, more so once you've used it a few times.

I'm actually finding it harder and harder to obtain a Grab Taxi. 

Bolt seem to accept a ride and cancel it within seconds.

I'm wondering if this is due to the 'Card Payment' setting I have as default and if I change it to 'cash' I encourage greater success.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm wondering if this is due to the 'Card Payment' setting I have as default and if I change it to 'cash' I encourage greater success.

I am using Bolt in Pattaya (or from where I live just outside) to get cars and have never had a cancel, but I have cancelled a few at the Pattaya end myself as they don't seem to be even moving. 

• Like 1