Three big battles for new defense minister: spending, conscription, and peace talks

webfact

image.png

Armed with little or no background in military or security affairs, Sutin Klungsang faces huge challenges ahead as the newly appointed defense minister.

However, security analysts reckon his ability to manage the armed forces will be enhanced by the respected military men among his advisers, including two retired Army generals who previously served as chiefs of the National Security Council (NSC).

Sutin’s appointment as defense minister marks a new chapter in Thai politics, notes Wanwichit Boonprong, a political science lecturer at Rangsit University.

Sutin, a deputy leader of the biggest coalition party, Pheu Thai, is Thailand’s sixth civilian defense minister but the first who does not double as prime minister.

image.png
Wanwichit Boonprong

Wanwichit dismissed criticism that Sutin’s lack of military experience would undermine his performance at the Defense Ministry, explaining that he had gathered a strong team of advisors who could reduce his workload and guide him safely past potential pitfalls.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/three-big-battles-for-new-defense-minister-spending-conscription-and-peace-talks/

-- Thai PBS 2023-09-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

18 hours ago, webfact said:

However, security analysts reckon his ability to manage the armed forces will be enhanced by the respected military men among his advisers, including two retired Army generals who previously served as chiefs of the National Security Council (NSC).

I'm not convinced.

Probably an issue of concern for the Royal Thai Army generals, is how much support can they expect from the rank and file soldiers?  Just after the election, several media reports noted that in many locations, it appears that the majority of Thai soldiers voted Move Forward.  Looking at the social media posts of friends in the Thai military, I also noted that there was a large amount of support for Move Forward.  Going back to the immediate post 2014 coup, many soldiers expressed anger with the actions of the Prayut Junta, and some career soldiers I know left the army in disgust.

4 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

If conscription is done away with the military will loose a lucrative money source, bribe money paid to avoid conscription, so they will fight tooth and nail to keep it.

Exactly. Works as designed.

Another proof that malevolence is part of the fabric of this society

Edited by CDG931

19 hours ago, nikmar said:

it s similar to me applying for a job as a doctor, say, and when asked about experience, I can assure the interviewer that i have great advisors guiding me in my decisions. What can possibly go wrong.

So how do you cope with governments in Western democracies where 'no relevant expertise' is the norm for all Ministers & Prime Ministers/Presidents? Funny that.

Edited by mfd101

The battle to scrap conscription to volunteers and downsizing the military has been a long drawn out battle between government and the army. Past governments like the Chuan Leekpai government in the 1990s had confronted the army with the same pledges to cap the armed forces, reduced the generals and scrap the conscription. However the political will to make the change, the resistance of the military establishment and the short-lived civilian governments resulted in no meaningful changes. Will have to see whether Sutin has the strong political will and influence to challenge the military establishment and make these changes. Difference this time is that Prayut has said that he agree with the reforms.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 5:44 AM, webfact said:

enhanced by the respected military men among his advisers, including two retired Army generals who previously served as chiefs of the National Security Council (NSC).

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

There are no respected military men amongst the powers that be in Thailand, there are many corrupt, nepotic, nitwits who are subject matter experts at self enrichment and betraying their countrymen, yep a whole shedload of them....