My current driving licences is not from home country but from the one I have lived in for more than 20 years - has anybody got a Thai one like this?

nglodnig

Hi, I had to exchange my UK license for a local (European country) one  when I moved there more than 20 years ago. I phoned the local licences authority  and asked them where my licence was - they had sent it back - to the DVLA it seems.

The DVLA will  NOT issue UK licences to non-UK residents.

Can I use my European one instead to get a Thai licence? I would prefer definitive answers and not opinions ???? I will be applying in Chiang Mai and I am well aware every office is different when it comes to things like this.

Edited by nglodnig

It is irrelevant. They don't ask to see any existing license you may have. You will have to apply for a Thai License and take the test for the License. If you pass the test they will issue with a 1 year license. When that expires you will get a five year license again provided you pass the test. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Is there such a thing as a European licence? I thought all European nations issued their own licences to meet an agreed EU standard.

If you state the European country your licence is from, you should get the definitive answer you seek rather than the guesses you don't want.

• Thumbs Up 2

I recently got my Thai license in Khon Kaen, it consisted of the following 

medical test they check blood pressure and chest 

get a certificate of residency from immigration ( it’s free)

report to DLT for test and sign in

they wanted to see my Uk driving license

take reaction test and colour blindness test

sit and watch about 3 hours of videos on road safety etc

take a multiple choice test on road signs and traffic laws

take a physical test there are 3 things you have to pass 

1. park alongside the kerb with no more than a 25cm gap

2. drive forward between a row of poles and then reverse back

3. parallel park your car into a parking bay 

i did not have to do the multiple choice questions or the physical driving test, the head honcho checked my license and was satisfied I was ok to drive, he issued my Thai license there and then (about a 20 minute wait) I took my test on the 30th august 2023

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Hi, I had to exchange my UK license for a local (European country) one  when I moved there more than 20 years ago. I phoned the local licences authority  and asked them where my licence was - they had sent it back - to the DVLA it seems.

The DVLA will  NOT issue UK licences to non-UK residents.

Can I use my European one instead to get a Thai licence? I would prefer definitive answers and not opinions ???? I will be applying in Chiang Mai and I am well aware every office is different when it comes to things like this.

In Thailand there are no definitive answers because often it is different from office/r to office/r so there can only be opinions of which way it can go, I believe.

6 minutes ago, tubber said:

Nonsense. Get an IDP and you don't have to sit the test. Then take your present license and the IDP to the DLT and see what they require, each office is different. I got a motorcycle and car license without doing the test.  

The consensus on the forum indicates that an IDP is not necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, tubber said:

Nonsense. Get an IDP and you don't have to sit the test. Then take your present license and the IDP to the DLT and see what they require, each office is different. I got a motorcycle and car license without doing the test.  

Things have changed since I got my first Thai drivers license. That was my experience 15 odd years ago in Phuket. I didn't have an IDP at the time.

20 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

It is irrelevant. They don't ask to see any existing license you may have. You will have to apply for a Thai License and take the test for the License. If you pass the test they will issue with a 1 year license. When that expires you will get a five year license again provided you pass the test. 

You will get a 2 year licence first.Then renew for five year,s every five year,s

• Thanks 1

4 years ago I received my first Thai license and I did not need to take a test since I showed them my US license.  I also received a motorcycle license since my US license was also valid for both auto and motorcycle.

I needed to watch a video which was in English then a test where I had to identify the color of the light they flashed, red, yellow or green.  I don’t think the person giving me the test understood English so I probably could have said 3 different colors and still passed.  

this was done in Chiang Rai

Edited by statman78

From my experience, any valid driver’s license (Canadian or German, for example) helps to get a Thai one - as in, no written or practical driving tests are required. 

An “Int’l License” (which is merely a translation of your local license) is not sufficient. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tubber said:

You don't need an IDP if the foreign licence is in English.

• Like 1

Thanks for comments, I was hoping someone with a similar situation (current licence not from home country) could advise.

But as noted before every office is different it seems, and perhaps every official as well. I have a resident ID card from the country where my DL was issued, maybe that will work.

Edited by nglodnig

23 hours ago, nglodnig said:

It's Switzerland which is a European country

Stating you have a European license is like someone saying they have a North American license.  

There isn't a North American license, and doubt there is a Euro license either.

There are 23 countries located in North America. These include Canada, the United States, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, the Bahamas, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Dominica, Grenada, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis. 

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, NedR69 said:

here isn't a North American license, and doubt there is a Euro license either.

Sorry are you trying to make a point here? I have already stated it is Swiss. It shouldn't matter WHICH European country it is from, the important thing is NOT my home country.

Do have any more useful comments to make?

18 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Typical snippy, snarky useless comment which I have grown to expect and love on this forum.

Here's another.

You have your valid UK passport with a valid visa or extension for long-term stay in Thailand, valid proof of residence in Switzerland, a valid Swiss DL, proof of your local, Thai address and some cash.

Now go and get your Thai DL.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1