Is there a legitimate way to make a meaningful amount of money online that does not involve speaking?

12 hours ago, Adumbration said:

There are lots of opportunities to make money online.  That is not the issue.  The difficult part is getting paid.

Paypal is now off the table as a payment solution if you are living in Thailand.  Even if you have an account in your home country you will still be geoblocked if you try to access it.

Simon43 bumped into this problem already because he was receiving his teaching wages via PayPal.  I think he is now using Payoneer but that could also be blocked in Thailand moving forward.

Ignore any suggestions to do written or task rabbit style work online because ALL of that work will be absorbed by AI in the next 5 years.  Poorly informed posters here are warning you that for unskilled task you have to compete with people in the third world who are happy to work for less than $5 per hour....LOL...  AI works for free.

Facebook recently launched Threads which is a Twitter (X) style platform.  Twitter cost billions of dollars and millions of man hours to build.  Zuck built Threads in three months using a team of just 6 people running AI agents do all the heavy lifting.

I trade junk funds.  They are relatively stable but channel between 2-4 percent each month.  I just use bollinger bands and no other analysis tools.  I set a buy order just inside the lower band, and then a sell order just inside the upper band always using GTC orders.  I skim at least 2-3 percent each month on each fund.  I trade in 100K usd blocks.  If I get trapped in a trade the underlying funds pay 11% + monthly distrubution anyway so worst case scenario is I only get 11% return but of course if trapped in the trade I am exposed to greater risk of default in junk portfolio held by the fund.

Very interesting post. Thanks for taking the time to submit it. Sorry, but I don't understand junk funds. Do you mean funds made up of high-risk stocks and bonds, or just one or the other? Also, it's amazing to me that you trade such a huge amount of money, 100,000 dollars per trade, on something so inherently risky. The returns you mentioned are not guaranteed, unless I'm not clear on that part. No way I could even consider trading anything near that much. So even if I got 2-4%, it wouldn't be worth it for the smaller amount of money I could invest. Continued good luck on your system for making money.

11 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I think the idea was targeted at a person who isn't already settled with a family for 19 years lol.

There's investing like you appear to have done and there's trading. The latter can be very lucrative using price action with leverage if you care to spend the time looking into and studying it - many free resources online. The benefits are that you are entirely responsible for your own risks and rewards, there is no capital outlay like when starting a business and in your own case no need to speak! Not for everyone tho.

Very interesting post. Thanks for taking the time to submit it. A quick Google search of "price action with leverage" reveals information that looks complicated and precarious, but I'll look into it a bit more.

9 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Breed Pedigree puppies, cats, rabbits,

Get the whole family involved. 

Start with one female, have her mated sell the puppies and you are on your way.

Just a thought.

Very interesting and novel idea. There's lot's of restaurants, bars, and massage shops in Chiang Mai, but no pedigree breeding farms that I know of. I'll look into it. Thanks for submitting your post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's getting, or is entitled to $1,000 per month state pension?   

Unfortunately, I'm getting $575 a month in Social Security from the U.S. government. In January, it will be close to $600. $1,000 would certainly be nice, but it won't happen in my lifetime.

42 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Very interesting post. Thanks for taking the time to submit it. Sorry, but I don't understand junk funds. Do you mean funds made up of high-risk stocks and bonds, or just one or the other? Also, it's amazing to me that you trade such a huge amount of money, 100,000 dollars per trade, on something so inherently risky. The returns you mentioned are not guaranteed, unless I'm not clear on that part. No way I could even consider trading anything near that much. So even if I got 2-4%, it wouldn't be worth it for the smaller amount of money I could invest. Continued good luck on your system for making money.

He probably trades on margin which can be 5% of 100k.

• Thanks 1

So, if you were to sell all your investments how much would you be getting?

28 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Very interesting and novel idea. There's lot's of restaurants, bars, and massage shops in Chiang Mai, but no pedigree breeding farms that I know of. I'll look into it. Thanks for submitting your post.

Yea.... it's a fantastic idea. Don't forget work permit and hiring 4 Thais. Money gone

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Then you must have the magic touch when it comes to buying penny stocks because every one of them I've ever bought has ultimately completely collapsed in value, costing me tens of thousands of dollars. The only way I've made money is by buying mutual funds from Franklin Templeton and annuities with Pacific Life Insurance Company and Lincoln Financial Group, all reputable and established companies and all investments based on the advice of my professional investment advisor. I'll never gamble and lose my money again by buying stocks that eventually inevitably become totally worthless.  

You should have a stop loss of around 15% below current price. That way you cant lose too much.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The stock market has been anything but stagnant for a few years now. 

Maybe stagnant wasn't the right word, and "a few years" not specific enough. It just seems that the Dow has been trading between about 32,000 and 35,000 points for at least several months now, but I don't follow it closely on a daily basis. I'm looking for steady gains that would push it above the record close of 36,799, but I don't see them coming at this time. I just seem to remember that the market moved steadily upwards during previous presidential administrations, but that doesn't appear to be the case today.

5 minutes ago, Celsius said:

So, if you were to sell all your investments how much would you be getting?

Yea.... it's a fantastic idea. Don't forget work permit and hiring 4 Thais. Money gone

If I sold all my investments at this time, I'd get about $280,000. Of course I would not do that. That's my nest egg for my future. In addition, I'd owe the U.S. government about $23,000 in taxes. And, of course, I'm not going to even consider opening a breeding farm, for the reasons you mentioned and because I am the world's greatest animal lover who can't stand to see them suffer in any way. I was only replying in a polite way to the person who submitted the post, who at least took the time and made the effort to do so.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Junk funds hold a portfolio of subprime corporate bonds. B, BB, BBB, CCC and so on.  They diviersify risk across various industry sectors and also geographically.

There is heightened risk in the junk market at present because of the rapid increase in interest rates.  Google zombie companies to better understand that issue.

Trying to hit homeruns, huge returns with a small investment is a mugs game and a very poor strategy.  That is why the majority of traders go bust.

As I already posted, I consistenly skim 2-3 percent per month on the funds I trade.  So over the year that results in a return somewhere between 24-36 percent on each 100K block that I trade.  How much money do you want to make.  If you only have 1 million THB to trade you could return circa 300K THB on that over the year.  That would equate to around 25K THB extra per month for you household budget.  And as I have already stated most months I only place one trade in and one trade out so roughly 12 buy orders and 12 sell orders per year.  Because they are all GTC orders (which I always place after hours) my total time commitment over the year is probably 40 to 50 hours.

I should add that often I am only in a trade for a few days each month and never more than 1 week, so over a year my totally time exposure to the underlying assets is usually under 3 months.

The funds I trade all have monthly distributions of circa 11 percent pa.  So even if I get trapped in a poor trade, or there is a blackswan event, I am still getting a monthly distribution at 11 percent.  I have not yet been trapped in a trade this year.  But a screw up is awaiting me, they always are.

For more than 15 years I have also traded derivative warrants on the SET and have published extensive content regarding that topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Junk funds hold a portfolio of subprime corporate bonds. B, BB, BBB, CCC and so on.  They diviersify risk across various industry sectors and also geographically.

There is heightened risk in the junk market at present because of the rapid increase in interest rates.  Google zombie companies to better understand that issue.

Trying to hit homeruns, huge returns with a small investment is a mugs game and a very poor strategy.  That is why the majority of traders go bust.

As I already posted, I consistenly skim 2-3 percent per month on the funds I trade.  So over the year that results in a return somewhere between 24-36 percent on each 100K block that I trade.  How much money do you want to make.  If you only have 1 million THB to trade you could return circa 300K THB on that over the year.  That would equate to around 25K THB extra per month for you household budget.  And as I have already stated most months I only place one trade in and one trade out so roughly 12 buy orders and 12 sell orders per year.  Because they are all GTC orders (which I always place after hours) my total time commitment over the year is probably 40 to 50 hours.

I should add that often I am only in a trade for a few days each month and never more than 1 week, so over a year my totally time exposure to the underlying assets is usually under 3 months.

The funds I trade all have monthly distributions of circa 11 percent pa.  So even if I get trapped in a poor trade, or there is a blackswan event, I am still getting a monthly distribution at 11 percent.  I have not yet been trapped in a trade this year.  But a screw up is awaiting me, they always are.

For more than 15 years I have also traded derivative warrants on the SET and have published extensive content regarding that topic.

Very interesting and detailed post. Thanks very much for submitting it. I'll definitely take the time to learn more about the trading strategy that seems to work so magnificently for you. 

12 hours ago, acepredator said:

Thanks for the information, but, again, I'm quit sure that schools just wouldn't be interested in hiring a 66 year old, especially one who hasn't taught in 13 years. Several years ago I tried applying for some online jobs and got absolutely zero interest. Most of the schools I applied to didn't even bother to reply. I've met many young people, in their 20s, who are teaching online. They can easily get jobs; I can't. 

Schools in Thailand won't but schools in Myanmar will jump at the opportunity.  However, if you insist on staying in Thailand then my suggestion doesn't help ????

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

Schools in Thailand won't but schools in Myanmar will jump at the opportunity.  However, if you insist on staying in Thailand then my suggestion doesn't help ????

Thanks for your suggestion, but, as I have very deep roots in Chiang Mai, it would be extremely traumatic for several Thais, as well as for me, if I were to ever leave. My only exit will be as smoke and ashes when I'm being cremated at a local temple. In any event, I would not even consider residing in a country that is ruled by a military junta that routinely and wantonly murders its own citizens. If the government doesn't value the lives of its own people, how would it feel about a foreigner, especially an American. Thanks but no thanks.

I would think that with your background (corroborated by the obvious writing skill in your posts) you may be able to find remote work doing editing, proofreading or transcription.  I don't know any specific ones but a google search shows tons of listings from legitimate employment sites such as indeed.com, and zip recruiter.  I see eScribers in the search also. 

You might try a similar search using your VPN to set your IP address to a U.S. location.

Of course there will be some scam listings even on legit job sites, but I'd wager that some will pan out, and you can try out several to see which ones are legit and which ones work best for you. 

The good news is that it sounds like you don't need a lot of extra money, and a legit gig doing this sort of work requires a native English speaker/writer and an educated one at that, so ought to pay at western-level hourly contract rates.  So this type of remote work may be a good fit.

Good luck to you. 

Edited by ChrisP24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

I would think that with your background (corroborated by the obvious writing skill in your posts) you may be able to find remote work doing editing, proofreading or transcription.  I don't know any specific ones but a google search shows tons of listings from legitimate employment sites such as indeed.com, and zip recruiter.  I see eScribers in the search also. 

You might try a similar search using your VPN to set your IP address to a U.S. location.

Of course there will be some scam listings even on legit job sites, but I'd wager that some will pan out, and you can try out several to see which ones are legit and which ones work best for you. 

The good news is that it sounds like you don't need a lot of extra money, and a legit gig doing this sort of work requires a native English speaker/writer and an educated one at that, so ought to pay at western-level hourly contract rates.  So this type of remote work may be a good fit.

Good luck to you. 

Thanks for your reply. I did look into transcription and proofreading jobs. The transcription jobs I saw required investing a lot of time, and many of them dealt with highly technical fields that I'm not familiar with. Also, they had deadlines, so they would generate a lot of stress trying to get the transcription done by a certain time and date. I want to be able to set my own schedule, so that I won't have to deal with the pressure of a deadline.

Many of the proofreading jobs I saw required training and experience as a proofreader, neither of which I have, and some of the work was in languages other than English. I didn't examine them too closely, but I assume most would also have deadlines, like the transcription jobs. 

I hadn't thought about editing jobs, but presumably they would be similar to those mentioned above: training and experience required, or at least desired, with deadlines imposed. In any event, I will look into the employment sites that you provided in your post. Thanks for the information and for the good luck wish. Same to you (I think it's safe to say that everybody can benefit from more good luck. It's never a bad thing.)

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:17 PM, Ohyesuare said:

It is a problem as VPNs can be easily detected and most money making sites will ban you for using one.

How do they easily detect them (off topic I know--sorry) --I had a friend who used to use his UK bank account for football betting---he was better then average, and was ahead after 9 years --when they told him "you are not in the UK you are in Thailand"  we can not take bets from you.   After 9 years he is wandering around saying...someone grassed me up.  when I find out who.....etc

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2023 at 7:39 PM, advancebooking said:

It seems to me that you are having arguments with many people on this forum. Is this the same in your real life. Do many people hate you? When you next look at yourself in the mirror please remember this post Im writing. 

You need to chill out pal. This advice is for free. You dont have to pay me. 

Please do not cry on your pillow tonight

cheers

Thank you!  ive been much better off since i clicked the Ignore button on some posters here

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

How do they easily detect them (off topic I know--sorry) --I had a friend who used to use his UK bank account for football betting---he was better then average, and was ahead after 9 years --when they told him "you are not in the UK you are in Thailand"  we can not take bets from you.   After 9 years he is wandering around saying...someone grassed me up.  when I find out who.....etc

There are multiple ways. When you log into most websites, many details are shown to the administrators that can give it away like timezone, the IP being used currently associated to a VPN company etc..

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, acepredator said:

Thanks for your reply. I did look into transcription and proofreading jobs. The transcription jobs I saw required investing a lot of time, and many of them dealt with highly technical fields that I'm not familiar with. Also, they had deadlines, so they would generate a lot of stress trying to get the transcription done by a certain time and date. I want to be able to set my own schedule, so that I won't have to deal with the pressure of a deadline.

Many of the proofreading jobs I saw required training and experience as a proofreader, neither of which I have, and some of the work was in languages other than English. I didn't examine them too closely, but I assume most would also have deadlines, like the transcription jobs. 

I hadn't thought about editing jobs, but presumably they would be similar to those mentioned above: training and experience required, or at least desired, with deadlines imposed. In any event, I will look into the employment sites that you provided in your post. Thanks for the information and for the good luck wish. Same to you (I think it's safe to say that everybody can benefit from more good luck. It's never a bad thing.)

Editing/proofing/transcribing for the legal industry is in high demand and is really not all that technical, it just requires clear and precise writing.  It's not like the medical field with a bunch of eight-syllable words. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Everyman said:

How? Is it because your IP address is associated with a data center? Otherwise I doubt they could penetrate the virtualization layer. 

Yes, datacenter IPs are detected as it's public info. If you "show" a datacenter IP it is clear that you aren't using your home internet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Yes, datacenter IPs are detected as it's public info. If you "show" a datacenter IP it is clear that you aren't using your home internet.

What about a residential IP proxy? Either running on the VPS or on your local machine. 

Edited by Everyman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

What about a residential IP proxy? Either running on the VPS or on your local machine. 

Yes, that's how it could work. However, keep in mind, those "private proxies" are all abused heavily. Best is to use a phone located in your favorite country as a VPN, might be unpractical for most.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

Editing/proofing/transcribing for the legal industry is in high demand and is really not all that technical, it just requires clear and precise writing.  It's not like the medical field with a bunch of eight-syllable words. 

Thanks for the information. Actually, I do have some work experience in the legal profession, so maybe it would be a good fit for me. I'll do some checking and see what I can find.