Illegal Female Taxi Driver Arrested in Phuket

webfact

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Those who have no problem being driven in uninsured, illegal vehicles may well be stupid enough to patronise her.

Expand  

Any idea what level of insurance Phuket TukTuks, Motorcycle Taxi's, Baht Busses and Regular taxis carry  ???

No idea, same as you, but they are required to have insurance - she definitely would not have any for "hire and reward"!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

- The lady - has a better level of insurance than any tuk-tuk, Baht Bus, MC taxi and most regular taxi's. 

No proof of course, no links etc... 

Its also possible that she was working through GRAB or BOLT

There you go again.  If she was taking fare-paying passengers she would have no cover at all, normal car insurance does not provide that cover.

If she was a Bolt or Grab driver she would not have been an illegal taxi driver and could not have been arrested and fined for that charge as those companies are legal in Phuket.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
10 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Nobody asks to see evidence of insurance each time they take a "taxi".

Quite right but there is a chance that a licenced taxi will be insured, there's guaranteed zero chance that the woman impersonating a taxi/taxi driver would have insurance if she was taking fare-paying passengers.

And you don't see any 'grey area between' ???

IF the lady was taking someone she knows for a 'fee' none of them have to admit it was a fare paying passenger and any claim for the limited medical care can be made against her own insurance (if she has it of course). 

Now..  playing along and assuming a taxi does have insurance...  What level of cover and compensation is offered to a fare paying passenger if injured in an accident ????

Is it worth anything at all ????...       We could be arguing about 5000 baht towards medical bills and thats it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

YAWN, yawn...   No idea, same as you.   

Whoever complained was right to do so.

There are so many things that people in Thailand should complain about, and do not. Many things so much more important than someone wanting to make a few bahts driving someone to the airport.

If you are all for the rights of people in Thailand, get busy, you have lots of work to do.

Seems like taxi drivers are able to get time from police in Thailand, while all these citizens that would have so much to complain about, do not do so. Because, Thais know that after a complaint, "Nothing will happen".

But you are all for the immediate action of police, when a taxi driver gets concerned....

And yes, "whoever complained was right to do so". Well, if they are taxi drivers of course.....

• Like 1

There you go again.  If she was taking fare-paying passengers she would have no cover at all, normal car insurance does not provide that cover.

If she was a Bolt or Grab driver she would not have been an illegal taxi driver and could not have been arrested and fined for that charge as those companies are legal in Phuket.

Rigidity again and not understanding what 'can' happen in Thailand. 

You seem to think the Police never try and charge / fine people who've broken no laws.

That it wrong, the police get involved in all manner of issues, often taking illegal actions themselves. 

How many of us have been accused of a traffic manoeuvre by the BiB without any proof otherwise. 

At a check-point, you have a helmet, have a licence... nothing the BiB can do... "Oh... Policeman down the road says you made an illegal left turn up the road - 500 baht fine"...   

I know you'll want to, but there's not need to argue the above point, its just an example of something that happened.

The Taxi mafia have proven themselves lawless, its not surprising that they can also encourage the Police to act in a manner which is not fully legal. 

Was the lady driving for BOLT or GRAB... the article doesn't mention she wasn't. 

The article mentiones she was an illegal taxi driver.... I'm questioning if the author of the article was even there to get the facts or has just lifted a half story of social media padded it and peddled it for click bait... and some people such as yourself LL are lapping it up as a series of facts. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

There are so many things that people in Thailand should complain about, and do not. Many things so much more important than someone wanting to make a few bahts driving someone to the airport.

If you are all for the rights of people in Thailand, get busy, you have lots of work to do.

Seems like taxi drivers are able to get time from police in Thailand, while all these citizens that would have so much to complain about, do not do so. Because, Thais know that after a complaint, "Nothing will happen".

But you are all for the immediate action of police, when a taxi driver gets concerned....

And yes, "whoever complained was right to do so". Well, if they are taxi drivers of course.....

This post above contains way too much common sense and realism for some to be able to handle while attempting to maintain their rigid belief that the article is 100% legal fact.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now..  playing along and assuming a taxi does have insurance...  What level of cover and compensation is offered to a fare paying passenger if injured in an accident ????

Is it worth anything at all ????...       We could be arguing about 5000 baht towards medical bills and thats it.

If the taxi does not subscribe to voluntary insurance, it would likely at least have the mandatory Por Ror Bor cover which provides baht 80,000 in medical expenses and baht 500,000 for death or permanent disability. It is not necessary to establish fault for this cover to apply and would apply to passengers.

Out of interest I just looked up (on Google) how much compulsory insurance cover one can expect if in an accident in a licenced Thai taxi.

It's 30,000 baht! https://www.nationthailand.com/life/30279525

And, according to this article, official Grab taxis have (or will have???) 500,000 baht cover ...

https://www.grab.com/th/en/press/others/thแกร็บ-ผนึก-ทิพยประกันภั/

If it is true that the woman was operating an "illegal" taxi, there will be zero insurance cover.

Edited by chickenslegs

4 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:
28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

If the taxi does not subscribe to voluntary insurance, it would likely at least have the mandatory Por Ror Bor cover which provides baht 80,000 in medical expenses and baht 500,000 for death or permanent disability. It is not necessary to establish fault for this cover to apply and would apply to passengers.

In which case the female (non) taxi driver has the same insurance....  

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Out of interest I just looked up (on Google) how much compulsory insurance cover one can expect if in an accident in a licenced Thai taxi.

It's 30,000 baht! https://www.nationthailand.com/life/30279525

Which makes a mokery out of the comments made by LL about insurance cover.

The basic Por-Ror-Bor has better cover (as mentioned above).

So the argument, legal taxi's have better cover for fare paying passengers is completely flawed. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which makes a mokery out of the comments made by LL about insurance cover.

The basic Por-Ror-Bor has better cover (as mentioned above).

So the argument, legal taxi's have better cover for fare paying passengers is completely flawed. 

I edited my post. I'm pretty sure that operating as an illegal taxi would invalidate any insurance. But I stand to be corrected.

Lots of things are pot luck in this great country. Best to have some personal insurance cover, just in case.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Gawd...and you automatically assume that practically everything in the OPs is falsely reported.

Correct - it is an automatic assumption of mine that what is reported such news article as the Op that there is no fact checking, not checks and balances, no first hand statements...     

It is my automatic assumption that these articles are written by people who have never even been to the scene or taken direct comments from the people involved. 

It is my automatic assumption that many of these articles are written by people who are simply repeating what the police have told them, and the police are not a measure of honesty and intergirty so a lot of that is flawed information anyway. 

It is my automatic assumption that some reporters scour social media and then make a story out of something someone else has posted online.

It is my assumption that the reasons so many of us get into these debates on platforms such as this is because the information itself is so vague, so contradictory, so unreliable, so absent of facts that half of us are left making assumptions and arguing with those who believe the written word as unadulterated fact.

You and I often end up in disagreements on these threads LL... But I'm not arguing with your morals or standards, I'm arguing with your naivety in your unwavering belief that if its written in an article its fact...   We have witnessed so many examples where what is reported is an outright lie.... ( the most recent one being a reports of a front wheeled car drifting !!! )... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In which case the female (non) taxi driver has the same insurance....  

Yes, all cars legally registered must have this.

It is also not necessary to establish which vehicle was involved in or caused the injury. It is sufficient to allege that the injury was caused by a vehicle. This is to allow cover to apply to hit-and-run accidents.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I edited my post. I'm pretty sure that operating as an illegal taxi would invalidate any insurance. But I stand to be corrected.

As Por-Ror-Bor would cover pedestrians, occupants of other vehicles etc I think it simply covers 'everything'...  (but could be wrong).

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Lots of things are pot luck in this great country. Best to have some personal insurance cover, just in case.

Interesting point.... 

As far as health and medical insurance...  Yes, always covered, then also take precautions to wear a *seatbelt etc...

*Seatbelts !... how many taxi's do we get in where the car is in such a state of disrepair there are no seatbelts.... Don't get in the taxi then, I hear people pattering away at their keyboard with such a response... I have walked away, many times (especially if about to take a journey on an expressway), but, walking away is not always a viable option so we are forced to take the risk. 

I'd be much happier taking a ride in this car, than the vast majority of Taxi's I ride in. 

This is also why Grab-Car is much better than Grab-Taxi.

The reality here is that this lady is very likely to be providing a better service than 'real taxis'.... 

Why is that ? shouldn't the professionals be providing the best service ?

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic but somewhat pertinent to the insurance point.

Win-Riders (motorcycle taxis) must ride on registered motorcycles (registered for Motorcycle taxi purposes)... these have Yellow Number Plates...     Look around, over half of them are white. 

So that means the MC taxi is not licenced to carry you ! (if you are someone who uses MC taxis).

Nudging this up to cars...   how can we tell if a regular taxi is taxed, insured, licensed etc  we can't... 

We need the Police to do this for us and if they are investigating the competition in support of the taxi's neither are they likely to check. 

This has nothing to do with protecting the public - its about business. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

As Por-Ror-Bor would cover pedestrians, occupants of other vehicles etc I think it simply covers 'everything'...  (but could be wrong).

Yes, Por Ror Bor would not be invalidated by providing taxi services without authorizations.

Por Ror Bor isn't so much a typical motor insurance cover as a scheme to reimburse hospitals for providing medical services for those injured by vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2023 at 7:35 AM, retarius said:

What is it with Phuket and taxis? I went only once wifey was feeling tired and so got a taxi for the last leg back to the hotel....it was only about 200 yards and the driver asked for 400 baht. We walked instead. 

You don't tend to get this nonsense in Krabi, at least I haven't had it.

Wifey Tired ?? What to WALK About 200 Yards....??

• Thanks 1