Illegal Female Taxi Driver Arrested in Phuket

webfact

What is it with Phuket and taxis? I went only once wifey was feeling tired and so got a taxi for the last leg back to the hotel....it was only about 200 yards and the driver asked for 400 baht. We walked instead. 

You don't tend to get this nonsense in Krabi, at least I haven't had it.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, retarius said:

What is it with Phuket and taxis? I went only once wifey was feeling tired and so got a taxi for the last leg back to the hotel....it was only about 200 yards and the driver asked for 400 baht. We walked instead. 

it's only in Phuket, 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

So some 'concerned citizens' are now starting to complain, about a taxi, but not concerned about their own safety on the roads, not concerned about the noise from modified motorbikes, not concerned about the reckless driving on the roads, not concerned about vehicles using a whole lane of a busy road to park their vehicle shopping.

How about the truth, a taxi driver noticed some unwanted competition in the business, and complained.

Hire and reward insurance for private hire vehicles, having the correct licence to ferry those rich farangy's around.............????

Vehicle road use is another topic, which has been done to death...............????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, retarius said:

200yds? On airport it seems.. Doubt that! 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

How about the truth, a taxi driver noticed some unwanted competition in the business, and complained.

Exactly this...  

Now, Isn't BOLT & GRAB legal in Thailand, so if she was using that App to secure passengers there is nothing illegal about what she was doing - SO... Was she using GRAB or BOLT ?... no mention of that, I wonder if it was conveniently left out. 

The Gangs of Taxi drivers in Phuket leave little to garner sympathy given their past actions. 

I recall the Wife on an honourary counsil (not sure which nation, but Western) being blocked from departing a hotel in her car after picking up her friend because taxis were claiming she was taking business away from them....  

Some area's of Thailand, Phuket and Samui have entitled taxi drivers who fight against any competition while continuing to provide aggressive, impolite, extremely poor and extortionate service.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, transam said:

Hire and reward insurance for private hire vehicles, having the correct licence to ferry those rich farangy's around.............????

Vehicle road use is another topic, which has been done to death...............????

But do the actual taxi's themselves have any of this insurance ????

I very much doubt it for most, and in a couple of instances a taxi has hit my vehicle (in Bangkok) and those taxi's had no insurance at all....

While just about tolerable in Bangkok, the taxi services in area's outside of Bangkok needs a complete overhaul. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But do the actual taxi's themselves have any of this insurance ????

I very much doubt it for most, and in a couple of instances a taxi has hit my vehicle (in Bangkok) and those taxi's had no insurance at all....

While just about tolerable in Bangkok, the taxi services in area's outside of Bangkok needs a complete overhaul. 

Taxi drivers are licenced, so I assume they must provide proof of hire & reward insurance.

I am thinking what I had to do near 50 years back as a London mini cab driver, not a taxi, we were called "private car hire operators", all you needed was a car that ran, they gave you a 2 way radio to communicate with the office, then away you go, but you had to show hire & reward insurance for the car for passenger transportation protection.

Wasn't cheap, cost me then about 1000 quid a year.....????

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Taxi drivers are licenced, so I assume they must provide proof of hire & reward insurance.

In Thailand ???....   they get out of prison and can be a taxi driver the following day. 

In theory you are correct of course, but since when has the law or meeting legal obligations mattered in any of this?....

If the Police were to stop all taxi's and check them, I wonder how many are actually fully legal, with full insurance for passengers etc... my guess is very few if any.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I am thinking what I had to do near 50 years back as a London mini cab driver, not a taxi, we were called "private car hire operators", all you needed was a car that ran, they gave you a 2 way radio to communicate with the office, then away you go, but you had to show hire & reward insurance for the car for passenger transportation protection.

Wasn't cheap, cost me then about 1000 quid a year.....????

I suspect the 'idea' in Thailand is based on this. In fact most laws in Thailand are perfectly good laws. 

The issue is of through a complete lack of enforcement the law is but a mere suggestion. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

In Thailand ???....   they get out of prison and can be a taxi driver the following day. 

In theory you are correct of course, but since when has the law or meeting legal obligations mattered in any of this?....

If the Police were to stop all taxi's and check them, I wonder how many are actually fully legal, with full insurance for passengers etc... my guess is very few if any.

I suspect the 'idea' in Thailand is based on this. In fact most laws in Thailand are perfectly good laws. 

The issue is of through a complete lack of enforcement the law is but a mere suggestion. 

The same as in London when I did it, I knew many rascals....

But they needed to show hire & reward insurance for their Morris Marina, though many of us had Ford Granada's, got the better work . ????

Regarding the thread, I was just thinking what licenced taxi's thought if they did have to have the operator's licence AND the insurance.  ????

I would be a bit p_ssed off too..........????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

52 minutes ago, transam said:

But they needed to show hire & reward insurance for their Morris Marina, though many of us had Ford Granada's, got the better work . ????

Regarding the thread, I was just thinking what licenced taxi's thought if they did have to have the operator's licence AND the insurance.  ????

????

54 minutes ago, transam said:

So the difference after graduating  from small engine assembler to Taxi Driver was a success based on vehicle brand ? Where did the  famous "London Taxi" fit the scheme? Too rich?

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Given a choice, who would many of us rather be driven by in Phuket? This lady or one of the male taxi mafia? What's her number for bookings? ???? 

Those who have no problem being driven in uninsured, illegal vehicles may well be stupid enough to patronise her.

Any idea what level of insurance Phuket TukTuks, Motorcycle Taxi's, Baht Busses and Regular taxis carry  ???

You've checked right, because you'd be stupid to get in any vehicle without checking first if it had full insurance for fare paying passengers, right ???? :whistling:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

So the difference after graduating  from small engine assembler to Taxi Driver was a success based on vehicle brand ? Where did the  famous "London Taxi" fit the scheme? Too rich?

Sorry, try again, don't understand that...????

I did say it could be fun.........????