Famous Russian fighter and his brother arrested over Phuket abduction

webfact

59 minutes ago, steven100 said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you just have to read the article.   The Russian brothers weren't the attackers.

so if they weren't the attackers .....   was it just cardboard cut-outs of them attacking the Italian?

No, it wasn't, the attackers were real but they weren't the Russians but then you'd know that if you'd read the OP properly.

"The Phuket News reports that three Kazakh men forced their way into the home of an Italian man in the northern sub-district of Chergntalay at around 11pm on Sunday, September 3. The man was bound and gagged, violently beaten for hours, and robbed of personal possessions valued over 12 million baht ... They are believed to have fled the country on an Emirates flight to Dubai on Monday morning, September 4".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2023 at 1:29 PM, freeworld said:

The title mentions Russian, the news article mentions Kazakh

The full article also mentions the arrest of the two Russians whom the OP suggested were orchestrating the attack by phone.  It's not that difficult to understand if you bother to read the full report properly.

On 9/12/2023 at 1:29 PM, freeworld said:

The title mentions Russian, the news article mentions Kazakh and ESPN shows this

KHUSEIN ASKHABOV

United Arab Emirates
  • UAE
  • Featherweight

Actually they are from Chechnya. The Kazakhs mentioned are not they. But there is obviously a connection. 

5 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

So, no Russian bashing is applicable in this case, is it? What a disappointment, blyat... ????

From Chechnya. They were the ones who actually met the Italian previously. Allegedly they orchestrated the whole thing. The Kazakhs were the ‘foot soldiers’ so to speak. 

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

As usual,  probably alot more to this story than told.

Maybe he owed money

Maybe a drug deal gone wrong

Maybe a business deal gone wrong

If they are Russian,   just send them to Crimea ...  hopefully they'll get what's deserved there.

And maybe you have no idea what happened and what it is all about.

• Confused 3

UFC cancels event as Russian fighter arrested for violent abduction in Phuket

1694508408-62627312-khusein-askhabov-750x370-1-768x467.jpg

UFC, the organisation representing mixed martial arts, has cancelled a fight between Daniel Pineda and Khusein Askhabov, following the latter’s arrest. Russian fighter Askhabov was arrested, along with his twin brother, Khasan, for their alleged role in a shocking abduction and robbery in north Phuket last weekend.

At around 11pm on Sunday, September 3, three Kazakh men forced their way into the home of an Italian man in the sub-district of Chergntalay.

The man was bound and gagged, violently beaten for hours, and robbed of personal possessions valued over 12 million baht, including luxury watches, iPhones, a Macbook, a debit card, and thousands of Euros in cash.

By Peter Roche

Full Story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/ufc-cancels-event-as-russian-fighter-arrested-for-violent-abduction-in-phuket/

-- Phuket GO 2023-09-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

You may recall that well over a year ago I predicted that there would be rampant crime on the horizon for Phuket as the meagre savings of the Russian refugees dried up and there was little available work.  Of course I was ridiculed at the time and a number of my posts were removed because I was apparently speculating.

I also predicted that there would be rivers of gold for immigration and the language school visa factories. 

Met 3 young Russians on a beach near my place today.  All three on ED visa.  I told them that more than a decade ago the Phuket authorities had to crack down on the ED visa because Russian mafia and prostitutes were using it as a vehicle to work in Patong.

Guy told me that his language school told him that he can extend his ED visa for 3 years and then HE JUST HAS TO GET A NEW PASSPORT and then he can get another 3 years.

Russians and Thais are a perfect match when it comes to crime and corruption.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, mokwit said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So completely irrelevant to this thread.

A matter of opinion. I note that a senior Policeman presiding over a recent murder case thought it appropriate to discuss visas.

AN commentators are not senior police officers presiding over anything, never mind a murder case, so the Russians' visa and TM30 status is, again, confirmed as being irrelevant to this thread!

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

You may recall that well over a year ago I predicted that there would be rampant crime on the horizon for Phuket as the meagre savings of the Russian refugees dried up and there was little available work.  Of course I was ridiculed at the time and a number of my posts were removed because I was apparently speculating.

I also predicted that there would be rivers of gold for immigration and the language school visa factories. 

Met 3 young Russians on a beach near my place today.  All three on ED visa.  I told them that more than a decade ago the Phuket authorities had to crack down on the ED visa because Russian mafia and prostitutes were using it as a vehicle to work in Patong.

Guy told me that his language school told him that he can extend his ED visa for 3 years and then HE JUST HAS TO GET A NEW PASSPORT and then he can get another 3 years.

Russians and Thais are a perfect match when it comes to crime and corruption.

Sorry to disappoint you, no rampant crime here.

On 9/12/2023 at 4:21 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you just have to read the article.   The Russian brothers weren't the attackers.

I read the articles and didn't see anything the indicates they were or weren't the attachers, just there were 3 men involved so not sure of your statement. 

8 hours ago, Dan O said:

I read the articles and didn't see anything the indicates they were or weren't the attachers, just there were 3 men involved so not sure of your statement. 

The victim has stated he knew the brothers and didn't know the attackers.