Father Releases Dashcam Video of Tragic Hit-and-Run Involving Daughter, Questions Justice

webfact

3 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

She should have looked to her right and saw the car coming and waited, he should have not sped through on a red stop signal. Do you think it's his fault 100%?

I certainly do as the car driver was running a red light.

So many posters here blame the girl, her parents and quote this law and that law, but NOBODY seems to want to admit that the car driver deliberately ran the red light.

SHE had the right of way and not the stupid <deleted by me> ing car driver.

• Like 2

Nonetheless, there is currently no clear indication regarding whether the culpable driver will face legal consequences. The local police, under the leadership of Pol. Lt. Col. Tawil Khamkaset, have been diligently investigating the incident, pledging fairness for all parties in accordance with the law.

The father should be worried. Justice should never be expected here, when the cops are bent, and so is much of the judiciary. Who has the most money? Anything that can be done to call out the cops, and create waves, a storm, noise, humiliation, and a call for alarm, is a good thing. Shame is often a big motivation here. Social media firestorms are the thing the cops seem to be most afraid of.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

If he went through a red light it's 100% his fault.

Is it 100% his fault IF the m/c driver jumped the green?  

I've seen some intersections where after one light turns red, there is a 1-2 second delay till the other light turns green.  Yes the car ran the red light, but did the m/c actually have a green light?

Edited by bbko
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bbko said:

I've seen some intersections where after one light turns red, there is a 1-2 second delay till the other light turns green.  Yes the car ran the red light, but did the m/c actually have a green light?

More IF and whataboutery.

If yo had watched the dashcam video, YES she did have a green light.

As a personal aside, I was riding my motorbike in Nakhon Sawan and the lights went to green in my favour. I rode off and got T-boned by a red light runner who wasn't even in my view when I started moving.

I was wearing a helmet and was fully legal and I had the right of way yet I got hit by a red runner under the view of the police from their office at the traffic lights.

Whose fault was the accident?

Some questions for you about the car driver.

Was the car driver fully licenced and insured?

Was the car taxed and insured?

Was the driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol?

Was the driver using his mobile phone or texting?

Was he driving within the speed limit and with due care and attention?

Does the car driver even have a licence?

So many posters are so busy trying to lay the blame on the young girl and her parents, that nobody is asking questions about the driver.

In the pickup that hit were 2 little old ladies and probably a grandson.

When we got to the central police station after I manged to get my handlebars straight enough to ride my bike I has a conversation with my wife, the police and the little old ladies family after which they stumped up 10,000 baht to pay for the repairs.

It was determined that it was ended by the police with no blame attached to either side.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If yo had watched the dashcam video, YES she did have a green light.

I saw the light was red for the car (and yes, he ran the red), but I didn't see where the m/c had the green. 

As I posted earlier, there are intersections when when one light turns red, there's a 1-2 second delay till the other light turns green, it's used to prevent those trying to run the yellow-red. So we don't automatically know if the m/c had a green light (if I'm missing it in the vid, please point it out where it's showing green.)

45 minutes ago, bbko said:

Legally, probably would still be his fault anyway.

Is that what happened here?

Usually there is a 3 second or so 'wait' between one light turning red and another turning green.

The video shows the Yaris rushing through the light on Amber, the light turns red just as the car crosses the junction threshold, or a split second before. 

After watching the video it would appear to me that the girl actually jumped the lights.

I can't see how the lights could be green unless they were faulty.

The car clearly goes through a split second after the light has turned red.

The car 'should' have been stopping on Amber. 

The motorcyclist may well have jumped the lights.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, FruitPudding said:

Legally, probably would still be his fault anyway.

Is that what happened here?

According to the link to Siam Rath, the other driver is trying to say it's a 50/50 fault if she didn't have a green light (essentially making them both red light runners).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bbko said:

According to the link to Siam Rath, the other driver is trying to say it's a 50/50 fault if she didn't have a green light (essentially making them both red light runners).

I am sure that I have seen either the dashcam video  or another video like yours earlier, but I cannot find it now. If I can I will post it.

Meanwhile please accept my apologies. 

In the video that you posted it clearly shows that the traffic light was yellow and watching the video the car made no attempt at braking (no brake lights are on) and was clearly intent on running the red light.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

11 hours ago, KannikaP said:

NO and Not likely.

Strange place on the road for the motorbike to be hit

Am I wrong but it appears that the motor bike ran the red light (see in the back ground) and head injury ? was she wearing a crash helmet? Tragic  

• Like 1

She would not have been hit if she had only waited a second or 2 or looked right and saw the car speeding to the lights. In the UK to ride a bike up to 125cc you have to do a CBT Test This means a Compulsory Basic training course. You have an earpiece in whilst riding the instructor tells you to do certain tasks while riding behind you. He constantly tells you not to forget the " Life Savour " This is for you to look behind you for potential accidents, or other road users that could prevent you from turning to overtake you as you pull away, and to avoid you pulling away into traffic flow which could crash into you. It's a split-second maneuver that as it says is a life savour. Failing to do this could result in test failure as it shows a disregard for other road users.

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

She would not have been hit if she had only waited a second or 2 or looked right and saw the car speeding to the lights. In the UK to ride a bike up to 125cc you have to do a CBT Test This means a Compulsory Basic training course. You have an earpiece in whilst riding the instructor tells you to do certain tasks while riding behind you. He constantly tells you not to forget the " Life Savour " This is for you to look behind you for potential accidents or other road users that could prevent you from turning to overtake you as you pull away and to avoid you pulling away into traffic flow which could crash into you it's a split second maneuver that as it says is a life savour. Failing to do this could result in test failure as it is shown disregarding other road users.

She would also not have been hit if the car driver obeyed the law , slowed and stopped when the light went to amber.

All my sympathy goes to the young girl and her family, and I have nothing but anger and contempt for the car driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

She would not have been hit if she had only waited a second or 2 or looked right and saw the car speeding to the lights. In the UK to ride a bike up to 125cc you have to do a CBT Test This means a Compulsory Basic training course. You have an earpiece in whilst riding the instructor tells you to do certain tasks while riding behind you. He constantly tells you not to forget the " Life Savour " This is for you to look behind you for potential accidents or other road users that could prevent you from turning to overtake you as you pull away and to avoid you pulling away into traffic flow which could crash into you it's a split second maneuver that as it says is a life savour. Failing to do this could result in test failure as it is shown disregarding other road users.

But this is NOT the UK, it is Thailand.

10 hours ago, bbko said:

She had the green turn arrow, plus it looks like the car was trying to run the yellow light, it turned red and she must of quickly took off without looking.

There is was no quickly turning left if her light was green, then automatically the car's light would have already been red and it clearly appears the car speed was accelerating 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But this is NOT the UK, it is Thailand.

Correct billd766. this is Thailand. No training no helmet no licence 14 yrs of age.  How easy is it to quickly look left or right when your pulling away from Traffic lights??? instead of ignoring a potential accident because you went on Green so you thought its your right.

• Sad 1

Fact: 1  car driver ran a red light

Fact 2: car driver is legally allowed on the road, and accidents happen

Fact 3: motobike girl is not allowed on road/unlicensed due to age. Helmet is a non-issue, can't turn a coconut into a strawberry. ????

A more interesting discussion would be, what if the car driver had died (let's just say he bumped his un-seatbelted head into the steering wheel and dies from an unlucky aneurism)......

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

She should have looked to her right and saw the car coming and waited, he should have not sped through on a red stop signal. Do you think it's his fault 100%?

If the girl was old enough. and was hit by someone running a red light would still think she would be 50% to blame? The accident was 100% his fault. The under age girl is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

If the girl was old enough. and was hit by someone running a red light would still think she would be 50% to blame? The accident was 100% his fault. The under age girl is another matter.

Is it 100% his fault if she jumped the green light? Yes the car ran the red light, but if she entered the intersection without a green light (meaning she's on a red also), then it's a 50/50 fault right?

When two vehicles enter a intersection without a green light (both running a red), one cannot say the other is at fault.  

14 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Correct billd766. this is Thailand. No training no helmet no licence 14 yrs of age.  How easy is it to quickly look left or right when your pulling away from Traffic lights??? instead of ignoring a potential accident because you went on Green so you thought its your right.

Would that also apply to the car driver?

It IS your right to move when the light is green.

It is NOT your right to run through a yellow or red light without looking or stopping,

Irrespective of whether the girl is old enough or not wearing a helmet, the car driver who should be old enough and have passed the so called driving test is 100% at fault.

If you look at the video the light was already yellow and as you look at the video it was on red when the car driver ran the red light. Also if you look at the car, the driver had no intention of stopping, his brake lights never came on.

If it were up to me I would crush his car slowly, with him in it, stopping before he is crushed to death, as a sample of what the girl is going through in hospital.

Stupid <deleted by me> ing driver.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Fact: 1  car driver ran a red light

Fact 2: car driver is legally allowed on the road, and accidents happen

Fact 3: motobike girl is not allowed on road/unlicensed due to age. Helmet is a non-issue, can't turn a coconut into a strawberry. ????

A more interesting discussion would be, what if the car driver had died (let's just say he bumped his un-seatbelted head into the steering wheel and dies from an unlucky aneurism)......

Good.

14 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Given the timing between the light changing to red (for the car) and the impact, I don't see how the girl went through on green...  there was not enough time for her light to change to green (usually its about 3 seconds)... So....

- She either jumped the lights, or, 

- The timing of the lights was faulty, in which case authorities are also to blame. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

It was her "right" to turn on a green light, thats what the lights are for. Sounds like your blaming her rather than the idiot that ran a red light. Kinda pathetic point of view on this 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dan O said:

It was her "right" to turn on a green light, thats what the lights are for. Sounds like your blaming her rather than the idiot that ran a red light. Kinda pathetic point of view on this 

Yes you are correct Dan O it was her right what failed her was to have a quick look to see if another vehicle was coming her direction because she did look. She presumed it was okay to go. Just because you have the right doesn't mean other rd users will obay the lights. If you walk onto a Zebra crossing you automatically look left and right even though you have right of way but as you know cars sometimes carry on, Same as a bike at a set of lights.

3 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Yes you are correct Dan O it was her right what failed her was to have a quick look to see if another vehicle was coming her direction because she did look. She presumed it was okay to go. Just because you have the right doesn't mean other rd users will obay the lights. If you walk onto a Zebra crossing you automatically look left and right even though you have right of way but as you know cars sometimes carry on, Same as a bike at a set of lights.

you have no idea if she looked or not. you're guessing she didnt because she proceeded. Based on the speed it appears the other driver was going he wasnt close to the intersection when the light changed. She may have been looking the whole time waiting for the light. yes its always smart to look before proceeding but you werent there so you dont know. Either way you shouldnt paint her or imply she is at fault

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Dan O said:

Unless she also went through on red and jumped the light.

The time difference between the light turning red for the car and impact is about 1.6 seconds. 

How long do traffic lights allow for one light to turn red before the other turns green ?... I'd say its set at 3 seconds nationwide. 

So it's possible the lights were set up very poorly, OR, the girl jumped the lights. 

9 hours ago, Dan O said:

you have no idea if she looked or not. you're guessing she didnt because she proceeded.

People who pull out into roads and get hit by a car have not looked.

Thus, either she looked and her view was blocked so she couldn't see the approaching car, or she didn't look.

9 hours ago, Dan O said:

Based on the speed it appears the other driver was going he wasnt close to the intersection when the light changed. She may have been looking the whole time waiting for the light. yes its always smart to look before proceeding but you werent there so you dont know. Either way you shouldnt paint her or imply she is at fault

The other driver was about 5m from the intersection when the light changed to red (see below - light still on Amber).

She was riding under age - Parents fault.

It would appear that she jumped the light (or timing was faulty).

She pulled out into a junction with an on-coming, which implies she didn't look.

The evidence shows that the young girl was 'also' at fault for her part in the accident.

Thats not to remove any fault from there driver who ran a red light.

image.thumb.png.e135feac4e337b92469b185850968ae0.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

That is what we have been saying all along Richard no one is trying to blame the girl they are both at fault. We know the facts but I will stick to the fact that if she only waited a few seconds more the accident may not have happened.

Rubbish.

More than half of the posts ARE blaming the young girl.

They rae wrapping it up by saying he she should not have been riding at her age, she should have been wearing a helmet, blame her parents etc etc.

Few people are blaming the car driver for speeding, driving dangerously, not looking, running the red light etc.

And if the car driver was not travelling so fast and intent on running the red light the accident would not have happened either.

I wonder if the reaction would have been different if it was a farang, wearing a helmet and all the gear, 20 to 30 years old with years of biking experience and completely street legal.

Would he be blamed and people calling out the car driver saying that it was his fault. Which it was, 100%

• Thumbs Up 1