EconThai urges government: Debt-lift measures needed for all, not just farmers

webfact

Good luck Thailand , most people (and government) are addicted to debt. Inflation and rising income levels are the only way out, as people cannot change their financial junkie-like behaviour. Time to face the music, confiscate land and assets of those who can't pay back and sell to the highest bidding foreign buyers. I personally don't see any other way out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

EconThai Vice-Chairman, Tanit Sorat, highlighted the necessity for debt suspension measures to be inclusive, covering a wide range of individuals in need, from farmers and owners of small and medium-sized businesses to middle-income earners. He further emphasised that the suspension should encompass both principal and interest.

There is a big difference between being legitimately in debt and living beyond ones means.

Some farmers are in debt living month to month on a few baht.

Some middle income earners [some teachers I know] say they are in debt as their salary barely covers their outgoings.

One teacher family I know have two red plate cars they own, the two new Honda Waves bought this year and the 8 million Baht house they recently moved into.

Times must  be tough for them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Look of there is one thing Thai people need to learn it is accountability. Borrowing money without having the slightest clue how to pay it back to buy something you can't afford is stupidity. If these are bank loans then I totally disagree with debt forgiveness. 

If they are from the shadow banking usurers, then I think there should be total forgiveness of the loan and the usurers should spent a long time in jail pondering their morals.

When I first came here a local farang asked if I wanted to put some money up with a lawyer who would lend it out with collateral. I would receive 4% per month. I said no thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, retarius said:

Look of there is one thing Thai people need to learn it is accountability. Borrowing money without having the slightest clue how to pay it back to buy something you can't afford is stupidity. If these are bank loans then I totally disagree with debt forgiveness. 

My Mrs was trying to tell me that the new government was attempting to push through salary payments must occur at least every 2 weeks.. ie, no monthly ones.  Don't think that would help them much!