Weighing passengers to become standard for Bangkok Airways

webfact

4 hours ago, MurakamiX said:

Amazing and commonsensical.
Somebody who is fit and healthy, should not have to pay. the same amount as somebody who cannot stop eating cake with zero care for their own health and consumerism. Net weight for the win 

Whst happens if I am tall, heavy boned and carry a cake on board.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

safely calculate flight load.

So to do that --will they have to move passengers around ?? If you have booked the front of the plane or an aisle seat---and many other heavy's had done the same----will you have to sit in the middle or at the back etc.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok Airways has introduced weight measurement for all passengers

So that any potentially troublesome/noisy child, 7 kgms or less, can travel for free in the overhead locker??

13 Airplane Etiquette Rules

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Haha 2

When I took my first commercial flight, at the age of seven, in a Dakota, one of the pilots moved passengers about before take off. Mainly, as the plane was not full, he moved people forward from the rear seats.spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Grusa said:

When I took my first commercial flight, at the age of seven, in a Dakota, one of the pilots moved passengers about before take off. Mainly, as the plane was not full, he moved people forward from the rear seats.spacer.png

I had this happen on a Southwest flight (DC9?), back in the 90's when planes flew less than half-full sometimes. I remember it well, because was able to lay down across 3 seats for the whole flight from Boston to Phoenix.

If we look at how much they charge per KG for excess baggage it would cost some people a lot of money if they did a similar thing with passengers. I have an old friend who's a frequent flyer who would weigh around 140 KG! (And he's only about 5 foot 9!).

Edited by Andrew65

6 hours ago, mania said:

Kind of true & more to the point excess width. Make people walk between two poles

if they don't fit have an up-charge for double seat. Or make wider seats etc

Otherwise they get on lift the arm rest and basically are sitting partially on our seat too.

Prices are high enough that we should not be asked to share our seat

What I do in that instance is to confiscate their in flight meal for myself so i can expand ever so slightly at their expense to partially offset the bias..

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Maybe they also start measuring our leg length and issue better seats to those who are tall?

Perhaps so the captain can calculate his tech stuff in case there are an unusual amount of fatty's on board, after all, you must pay for overweight in luggage and carry-ons. 

Fatty's really are overweight carry-ons, well aren't they...? ????

If you are tall, it doesn't mean you are overweight, I reckon tall folk should book a seat that has legroom, perhaps business...

Edited by transam

Fine, if they can manage the system efficiently, but I expect only more delays in the already-chaotic boarding process. The industry has always failed utterly in its ability to board people on a plane with any efficiency - it seems they are simply not interested in doing so as the chaos allows them to charge extra for priority boarding.

They need a non-intrusive weighing method that weighs as people walk past (though does the technology exist to weigh a moving object?). And how much fuel-saving will the trim really make? Presumably with enough people, random seat allocation will distribute the weight fairly equally. I suspect it is all just a precursor to introducing weight-related charges later.

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Maybe they also start measuring our leg length and issue better seats to those who are tall?

That's fine too as long as you pay for it! Not my fault if you're 10 foot tall. :tongue:

If I get charged extra for having one more kilogram in my luggage, while the guy behind me three times my weight doesn't gets off scot free, then something is broke.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

You do know muscle weighs way more than fat so I will have a problem ????. This is about distribution of weight on the aircraft not whether sweaty Burt gets two seats.

You point is well taken, but..

How much muscle weighs more than fat?

Which weighs more, a pound of lead or a pound of feathers?

You are groping for the concept of density.

Middle school general science.

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

They would be better off starting with a less controversial approach, weigh all luggage, carry-on and checked during the boarding process. Then maybe we can stop the nitwits who bring 3 huge bags onboard, yet have no checked luggage. Because I still can't figure out how they are getting on with massive amounts of oversized baggage.

I know with air Asia it costs more for a 20kg bag sometimes than for an actual flight ticket, I suppose if luggage pricing was more reasonable people wouldn't try to sneak so much stuff on board. There's also people that seem to buy up everything thats for sale in duty free which also adds to the onboard luggage 

4 hours ago, Tequila makes me happy said:

Bullsh*t. I weigh 245lb, lift heavy weights 4 times a week and have just finished my thrice weekly morning 10km run. 

My heart is beating away happily and consistently and through exercise intend to keep it that way.

And the strain you are putting on your heart will take it's toll some at some point. It's not healthy.

Well, that is nothing new. I remember back in the 80s flying to Mae Hong Son from Chiang Mai on a Short 330-200. Every passenger had to get on a scale and was seated accordingly - was it for trimming the plane reasons or anything else, I never found out. 

Whilst doing this they should take the opportunity to enforce seat fairness for adjacent passengers, all passenger over 120kg or otherwise visibly obese are required to purchased an extra seat or a paid upgrade to business. Call it fat shaming but until you've had to surrender 3 inches of your already crushingly narrow seat on 13 hour flight you have zero insight. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tequila makes me happy said:

Bullsh*t. I weigh 245lb, lift heavy weights 4 times a week and have just finished my thrice weekly morning 10km run. 

My heart is beating away happily and consistently and through exercise intend to keep it that way.

A prime candidate for business class...................????

If they going to Weigh the passengers up to what weight can one sit in a Now Normal seat, And are the going to put bigger seats and give more Leg room for the taller and Bigger people. If not then it's BS and they will just charge for the tickets if one is Tall or Bigger then a certain size set by the Airline. 

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

If they going to Weigh the passengers up to what weight can one sit in a Now Normal seat, And are the going to put bigger seats and give more Leg room for the taller and Bigger people. If not then it's BS and they will just charge for the tickets if one is Tall or Bigger then a certain size set by the Airline. 

I would think cattle class seats are designed and priced for Mr. or Mrs. average.

Fatty's or tall folk are catered for in business class, just for you...????

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Where in the article did it mention charging more for talls and fatties ?