What makes people follow made-up morality, obey silly, foolish or simply unenforceable laws.

BritManToo

8 minutes ago, pomchop said:

How about driving without a seat belt, helmet, insurance, tax, driving license, after a few drinks,

Pick and choose?  Nothing to do with morality....some people have brains and would prefer to live a bit longer so they try to use their brain and make some decisions to protect them from at least a few of the more obvious threats.

So you're OK with driving when too old, or driving at 35mph in a 30mph zone?

Sounds like pick and choose to me!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

As long as I do not harm myself or others,

Im all for taking liberites, but the "i dont harm others" argument is <deleted> --  its all good that you dont want to hurt others or harm yourself until you do.

the argument is great as long as your crystal ball keeps working.  

Be honest. in some instances you just dont care. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

in many cases its a generational thing.  I reckon gen x has a far more adaptable morality than boomers, who certainly had a more lax sense of mores than the gerenations that preceeded them. 

I also think its cyclical. unfortunately the pendulum seems to swinging back to  a community (vocal majority) enforced rather than individual  morality.  

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

How do you think the makers of books and movies get paid?

You missed out music!

Shakira made $70M from her last love tour.

As for movies, none of the actors appear to be hurting.

And I don't really care if big greedy corporations fail.

Copyright is an odd sort of thing, charge the same for a paperback as an ebook, yet one costs nothing to make and the author still only gets 25c/sale and I have to endure ads if I buy the ebook.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

To download them illegally, the same as with TV shows, music and movies is stealing and is therefore morally indefensible.

I pay 35bht/month for HBOgo, that's movies and TV shows taken care of.

Music from YouTube and Spotify, paid for by advertising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

That puts an unnecessary load on the health service.

2 points,

1.Heath service is not free, it's something people pay for, no customers = no profits.

2. Are you suggesting fat people are better than people not wearing seat belts?

I choose not to wear a seat belt, but I also choose not to overeat, and to exercise.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Im all for taking liberites, but the "i dont harm others" argument is <deleted> --  its all good that you dont want to hurt others or harm yourself until you do.

the argument is great as long as your crystal ball keeps working.  

Be honest. in some instances you just dont care. 

Absolutely correct. In some instances I am light years beyond caring. Just depends on the circumstance.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Heath service is not free, it's something people pay for, no customers = no profits.

I used it as an example, so consider that example only for territories that cover most medical issues out of a shared pot. The UK for example. If not, ignore that example and think of another.

Are you suggesting fat people are better than people not wearing seat belts?

I wasn't, but now that I come to think about it... putting on a seatbelt is typically a much faster, simpler, single task than curing an eating disorder or a lifetime of unhealthy living. I'd also say that using the excuse of "it's OK that I don't do this because other people don't do that" is a pretty poor argument.

I choose not to wear a seat belt, but I also choose not to overeat, and to exercise.

Out of interest, why do you choose not to wear a seatbelt? The benefits of it for the vast majority are unquestionable and we're living in a country with a far higher than norm accident rate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, so the result based on that, makes you drive 120 kph or more on that highway, which will be harder to control and the risk for accidents increase. Apparently, you are one of those guys, that need something to happen before understanding. You just need to harm someone before the baht falls down. Also means that the stupidity you are ignoring, is owned by yourself. 

Are you claiming that 120kph, in a four land divided highway, in good weather, in a nearly new car is not safe? Really? And you drive slower than that, on the open highway? And I am now a stupid man for that? If that is the case, my guess is that you have labeled half or more of the folks on this forum as such.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Sure you obey the laws you hypocrite.

I can give you 50 examples that you obey laws in Thailand much more so than you would back in Britain. Yes, you seem to be proud to bang anything that you can pay or download illegally in this corrupt country, but you obey visa laws, you obey the monarchy and obey anything that can prolong your mongering in Thailand. You have to thus making you even more law obeying sheep that the people you describe 

Nothing personal tho.