What makes people follow made-up morality, obey silly, foolish or simply unenforceable laws.

BritManToo

14 minutes ago, mikebike said:

If the creators of the entertainment or sport don't reap the benefits of their labour, then the owner-class will just take it all. Whom do you believe deserves more of the pie, capital or labour? 

Labor, because without them, there is no artist promoting. Getting mega rich from songs is ridiculous, and always has been. There are many artists that are mediocre musicians yet are millionaires because people will buy anything, and pay for it. And there are artists that are much better musicians than some and are living like the rest of us.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."
“Love is the law, love under will.”
--Alister Crowley, The Book Of Law

That's a tough question BMToo.  For me morality in many senses means "do no harm."  However, many people believe that you must do and act as they say or else they'll feel 'harmed."
However - I can't feel responsibly for the feelings of anyone else as their feelings and world-view may be totally irrational to me.  Overall I strive to be a 'good', compassionate person who cares for others.  But I'm no saint, nor am I evil.  I'm just a regular sorta guy.

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Each person has its own moral code. I’d never purposely hurt someone , I use kindle because I don’t have to carry multiple books around in my baggage, but I don’t litter or fly tip.  I honor my family , I am loyal to them , my friends and partners also unless they do something to hurt me badly then I can cut them out of my life forever, so that is not forgiving, so probably immoral ? I pay all my taxes etc, but that may not be a question of morality. Each to his own. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

They set speed limits for a reason. They have figured out the safe speed one can travel on a certain road in dry conditions. In wet conditions of course you need to reduce speed. It's not a follower mentality if you are driving safely, both for you and your passengers, and the others on the road. I speed, a little over the limit, mostly when others aren't close to me. Pretty much I'm keeping up with the other drivers on the road, as many here speed also, but I'm not going much over the set limit, and I won't when it's raining, both for my own maneuvering, and the fact I know many others here aren't good drivers. And those tickets you are throwing away might come back to you, as they are in the system and when you go to register the care, they can come up where you have to pay the fines first.

Nope. Wrong. We have renewed the registration and the drivers licenses, both without any issues. And I have tossed over 20 speeding tickets in the bin so far. With glee! 

I drive safely. But, some 4 lane divided highways where they have the speed set at 90kph, are made for the speed limit to be broken. And I happily do it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Why would I care if you kill yourself driving too fast, I don’t, I care about who else your stupidity might kill.

So far I have not killed anyone doing 110kph, on a good highway, with great weather and light traffic. And I will continue my very, very safe driving. You are welcome to hang out behind the trucks doing 55kph. Fun fun. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nope. Wrong. We have renewed the registration and the drivers licenses, both without any issues. And I have tossed over 20 speeding tickets in the bin so far. With glee! 

I drive safely. But, some 4 lane divided highways where they have the speed set at 90kph, are made for the speed limit to be broken. And I happily do it. 

No speed limits are meant to be broken. If you are going over a posted speed limit, you are not driving safely. And those tickets might catch up to you eventually, as they passed a law last year enforcing them, and who do you think they will make pay?

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So far I have not killed anyone doing 110kph, on a good highway, with great weather and light traffic. And I will continue my very, very safe driving. You are welcome to hang out behind the trucks doing 55kph. Fun fun. 

It must be wonderful knowing everything 

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2023 at 5:52 PM, spidermike007 said:

Ok, so the result based on that, makes you drive 120 kph or more on that highway, which will be harder to control and the risk for accidents increase. Apparently, you are one of those guys, that need something to happen before understanding. You just need to harm someone before the baht falls down. Also means that the stupidity you are ignoring, is owned by yourself. 

On 9/19/2023 at 5:52 PM, spidermike007 said:

Are you claiming that 120kph, in a four land divided highway, in good weather, in a nearly new car is not safe? Really? And you drive slower than that, on the open highway? And I am now a stupid man for that? If that is the case, my guess is that you have labeled half or more of the folks on this forum as such.

yeah what gives, I don't even own a car..

also, why make domestic cars that can go 200KPH, not saying we shouldn't, just asking.

“Take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. and yet... and yet you act as if there is some ideal order in the world, as if there is some... some rightness in the universe by which it may be judged.”
― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

It's all us, crazy half apes running around being obsessive about what parts of our body to cover, man nipples good, woman nipples bad, side boob under boob good, side penis not good... it goes on and on in the same vein. Endless repetition because we live for an eye blink in the scheme of things, and can't recall last Tuesday let alone what the last bunch did a century ago. I suspect rules give some a sense of improving civilisation, a feeling of permanence in an endlessly changing universe. Whatever I don't know, it's a forum.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 6:27 AM, spidermike007 said:

A follower mentality. Like adhering to a 90kph speed limit, on a 4 lane divided highway. I do not care how many of those inane mailbox tickets they send. I will continue throwing them away for the rest of my life. Silly laws are meant to be ignored, ridiculed and dismissed. As long as I do not harm myself or others, I have no issues with ignoring stupidity.

another stupid new  rule the retards  have come up with is the 3  lane speed limits minimum 100 max  120 in the outer ONLY LANE, most of them have no idea what a minimum speed  limit sign is or  loooks  like.

So i was doing 120kph in the outer  lane and johnny stupid thai winker is right up my arse as usual with his peanut sized brain and c*ck no doubt so I  pulled over to let the tw*t pass and then I get a speeding ticket in the post for doing 120 in the middle  lane, so my advice is dont pull over just sit there all day and if you do  pull over into the   middle lane you MUST be doing not  more than 100kph when you enter it. Dumb.

20 minutes ago, Acharn said:

As to why people buy books, it's partly because Amazon can't flip a switch and take it away from you. Some people find reading an electronic book less pleasant than reading a book made from dead trees.

If you don't buy your books from Amazon, Amazon can't take them away.

8 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

another stupid new  rule the retards  have come up with is the 3  lane speed limits minimum 100 max  120 in the outer ONLY LANE, most of them have no idea what a minimum speed  limit sign is or  loooks  like.

So i was doing 120kph in the outer  lane and johnny stupid thai winker is right up my arse as usual with his peanut sized brain and c*ck no doubt so I  pulled over to let the tw*t pass and then I get a speeding ticket in the post for doing 120 in the middle  lane, so my advice is dont pull over just sit there all day and if you do  pull over into the   middle lane you MUST be doing not  more than 100kph when you enter it. Dumb.

If I'm doing the speed limit, or slightly above, in the outer lane, and someone comes up on my arse, without flashing their lights, I stay right there. They have a lane to the left to go around you, you aren't going too slow in the outer lane, and arrogance doesn't fly with me anyway. If they are in a hurry, flash your lights, and I'll gladly let you pass, even though again, they could just go around me. Same thing back home in Texas. If there is traffic, and they want to go faster, and I can pull to the left, I will. But getting up on my arse isn't going to help their cause.

Just now, fredwiggy said:

If I'm doing the speed limit, or slightly above, in the outer lane, and someone comes up on my arse, without flashing their lights, I stay right there. They have a lane to the left to go around you, you aren't going too slow in the outer lane, and arrogance doesn't fly with me anyway. If they are in a hurry, flash your lights, and I'll gladly let you pass, even though again, they could just go around me. Same thing back home in Texas. If there is traffic, and they want to go faster, and I can pull to the left, I will. But getting up on my arse isn't going to help their cause.

and if  u have to stop quickly and they crush you to death in your car, or  pull in front and start brake testing you? then finally if you dont do what they want  pull out a gun or machete.............Ive been there and had that happen heres the guy with the machete a  few  years  ago when he wasnt happy that I wouldnt move out of  his way.............reported to police with footage, they did NOTHING image.thumb.jpeg.60ed02dd6c0f15f4a99f7b4af62112e2.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

and if  u have to stop quickly and they crush you to death in your car, or  pull in front and start brake testing you? then finally if you dont do what they want  pull out a gun or machete.............Ive been there and had that happen heres the guy with the machete a  few  years  ago when he wasnt happy that I wouldnt move out of  his way.............reported to police with footage, they did NOTHING image.thumb.jpeg.60ed02dd6c0f15f4a99f7b4af62112e2.jpeg

They come at you with a machete or gun you defend yourself with whatever force necessary. That is attempted murder, and the price is harsh, at least to an American. If they are in such a hurry, they wouldn't brake test you .If they do, that's arrogance, thinking they own the road. They don't.

20 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I have never voted Labour in my life. In my adult lifetime up until now, how often in that time has a Labour government been in power?

"Great" Britain has a working class of maybe around 80%. 

So I ask again, how come the Tories have been in power for so much of that time compared to Labour if the Labour Party is really the party of the working class?

Even today the Labour Party is ruled by a "Sir". Party of the working class my AAAAASSSSSSSS!!!!

I'm sorry Mr Jones, but I was asked a specific question and I gave an answer to that question. While I'm sure you enjoyed your little rant, it doesn't even reference, or even counter the argument I made.

However you have made me realise that there was a slight over-simplification in my reply to @BritManToo, so I will reword it:

You should vote for whichever non-Tory candidate has the best chance of winning in your constituency, in order to aid Labour forming the next government.

Because of the two genuine options, Labour is the only one that may eventually lead to proportional representation being implemented. Once PR is in place, you would then be able to vote for a candidate who better aligns with your views.

Change takes time. You probably won't be around to see what you want happen (assuming those are serious desires) being implemented. But if you genuinely want those things to happen for future generations, then vote Labour. To get society to the left, first you need to bring them back through the centre.

(Edit: bold text has nothing to do with me)

Edited by JayClay

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

They come at you with a machete or gun you defend yourself with whatever force necessary. That is attempted murder, and the price is harsh, at least to an American. If they are in such a hurry, they wouldn't brake test you .If they do, that's arrogance, thinking they own the road. They don't.

thats no good  when you are  dead, you seem to be relying on the law, it DOESNT exist here, whatever you do you LOSE, defend yourself and  kill him then you go to jail, he  kills you he goes to jail but I know for a fact they dont stay in jail long maybe 2-3  years then they get let  out again to repeat. They are arrogant, you on ly have to look at Kamanan guy, there are MANY like him.

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

I'm sorry Mr Jones, but I was asked a specific question and I gave an answer to that question. While I'm sure you enjoyed your little rant, it doesn't even reference, or even counter the argument I made.

However you have made me realise that there was a slight over-simplification in my reply to @BritManToo, so I will reword it:

You should vote for whichever non-Tory candidate has the best chance of winning in your constituency, in order to aid Labour forming the next government.

Because of the two genuine options, Labour is the only one that may eventually lead to proportional representation being implemented. Once PR is in place, you would then be able to vote for a candidate who better aligns with your views.

Change takes time. You probably won't be around to see what you want happen (assuming those are serious desires) being implemented. But if you genuinely want those things to happen for future generations, then vote Labour. To get society to the left, first you need to bring them back through the centre.

(Edit: bold text has nothing to do with me)

Sorry about that, my fault for going a bit off topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

thats no good  when you are  dead, you seem to be relying on the law, it DOESNT exist here, whatever you do you LOSE, defend yourself and  kill him then you go to jail, he  kills you he goes to jail but I know for a fact they dont stay in jail long maybe 2-3  years then they get let  out again to repeat. They are arrogant, you on ly have to look at Kamanan guy, there are MANY like him.

We don't rely on the law back home in the US. Nor anyone else we are at . We know the law won't be around when you really need them. Here, they could be present and it could go bad because I'm a foreigner. You have to live by the  I will take matters into my own hands to protect myself or what's mine, and they will be the ones who lose. Been there, done it. If someone threatens my or my family's life, they will lose. It isn't arrogance but what is real. Defending yourself against someone who has a gun or machete in their hands, and they come after you, it's self defense anywhere. Thai law............

Section 67 Any person shall not be punished for committing any offence on account of necessity:

1. When such person is under compulsion or under the influence of a force such that such person cannot avoid or resist; or
  2. When such person acts in order to make himself or another person to escape from an imminent danger which could not be avoided by any other means, and which such person did not cause to exist through his own fault. Provided that no more is done than is reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Section 68 Any person is to commit any act for defending his own right or other person's right in order to except from a danger arising out of violence tortuous to the law and such danger to be imminent, if reasonably having committed under the circumstance, such act is a lawful defense, and such person shall not have a quilt.

Section 69 In the cases as provided in Sections 67 and 68, if the act committed is in excess of what is reasonable under the circumstances or in excess of what is necessary, or in excess of what is necessary for the defense, the Court may inflict less punishment to any extent than that provided by the law for such offence. But, if such act occurs out of excitement, fright or fear, the Court may not inflict any punishment at all.

Edited by fredwiggy

40 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

We don't rely on the law back home in the US. Nor anyone else we are at . We know the law won't be around when you really need them. Here, they could be present and it could go bad because I'm a foreigner. You have to live by the  I will take matters into my own hands to protect myself or what's mine, and they will be the ones who lose. Been there, done it. If someone threatens my or my family's life, they will lose. It isn't arrogance but what is real. Defending yourself against someone who has a gun or machete in their hands, and they come after you, it's self defense anywhere. Thai law............

Section 67 Any person shall not be punished for committing any offence on account of necessity:

1. When such person is under compulsion or under the influence of a force such that such person cannot avoid or resist; or
  2. When such person acts in order to make himself or another person to escape from an imminent danger which could not be avoided by any other means, and which such person did not cause to exist through his own fault. Provided that no more is done than is reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Section 68 Any person is to commit any act for defending his own right or other person's right in order to except from a danger arising out of violence tortuous to the law and such danger to be imminent, if reasonably having committed under the circumstance, such act is a lawful defense, and such person shall not have a quilt.

Section 69 In the cases as provided in Sections 67 and 68, if the act committed is in excess of what is reasonable under the circumstances or in excess of what is necessary, or in excess of what is necessary for the defense, the Court may inflict less punishment to any extent than that provided by the law for such offence. But, if such act occurs out of excitement, fright or fear, the Court may not inflict any punishment at all.

The law is not  followed in Thailand and Thai laws are vague, the family would push for jailtime or money/both if i killed him even in self defence. Yes mr machete would go to jail but he would be  released very early, see it  all the time here with serious crimes  obviouly not as serious as the laughable Les majeste laws, that really IS serious, (sarcasm off) Thailand is  full of ex murderers  wandering about, anytime theres a report of child molestation /murder youll find they were incarcerated before often numerous times.

5 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

The law is not  followed in Thailand and Thai laws are vague, the family would push for jailtime or money/both if i killed him even in self defence. Yes mr machete would go to jail but he would be  released very early, see it  all the time here with serious crimes  obviouly not as serious as the laughable Les majeste laws, that really IS serious, (sarcasm off) Thailand is  full of ex murderers  wandering about, anytime theres a report of child molestation /murder youll find they were incarcerated before often numerous times.

Laws are followed but like anywhere there is poverty, money talks, and people get off easier. One major reason this country will continue to falter is the lack of enforcement. people are getting more and more pi**ed about what's been going on here, and the protests are going to continue until things change, which can still take years. When others are made more aware of the ways of western courts, and how people are punished more severely for murder, rape and trafficking, they will more likely protest more. Sheep never get things done, and complaining is the only way to rid society of those that don't belong in charge.