Open a 2 nd bank account, as exisiting customer, but different province?

Kasikorn will tell you a second account with them is not possible, if you have a WP or are retired, you can open as many as you like - non-O, not possible.

I got one after many attempts, I got one helpline manager to see sense. I had 2M in one account, the same account I was using for Lazada and using the atm with a queue of people behind me, I just wasn't happy. She spoke to the branch on my behalf and they organized a second account for me.

They even said the same to my wife, who is Thai, she has a small business. I wanted her to keep our monthly expenditures in a different account to her business income. They insisted it was not possible - I tried to ask what provisions they had for small businesses or whatever, let my wife speak to them and we can try and discuss what they could do for her and ways to comply to get a second account. In the end they relented and gave her two accounts.

Maybe easier to find a different bank in that province that will allow you to open an account.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Kasikorn will tell you a second account with them is not possible, if you have a WP or are retired, you can open as many as you like - non-O, not possible.

I got one after many attempts, I got one helpline manager to see sense. I had 2M in one account, the same account I was using for Lazada and using the atm with a queue of people behind me, I just wasn't happy. She spoke to the branch on my behalf and they organized a second account for me.

They even said the same to my wife, who is Thai, she has a small business. I wanted her to keep our monthly expenditures in a different account to her business income. They insisted it was not possible - I tried to ask what provisions they had for small businesses or whatever, let my wife speak to them and we can try and discuss what they could do for her and ways to comply to get a second account. In the end they relented and gave her two accounts.

Maybe easier to find a different bank in that province that will allow you to open an account.

Great info, thanks! 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I have 2 K Bank accounts in one province, one with a card, one without. Both on the K Plus app.

I am spending more time by the coast so I wanted to open a new account -  with a card, and linked to the app/internet banking. No problem for the first 2 parts but I was told they couldn't link to the existing internet banking.

Subsequently, I called the (excellent) call centre who informed me that the new account could be linked. I went back to Jomtien K Bank and gently pointed out that it could be done.

Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Opening a second Bank Account anywhere should not be a problem at all IF you meet the criteria for opening an account.

i.e. Regardless of whether or not you hold an account with the same Bank, you will still need to meet the requirements (which obviously vary depending in location, branch and the person you are dealing with but usually its a Work Permit or Yellow House Book etc).

My Example: 

I held an account with a reasonable sum of money in it with SCB.

To protect this account I wanted to open a 'user account' which had less money in it which I could use on a regular basis and top up from my 'main account'.

Even though I held an account with them with plenty of money in it, SCB would not let me open an second account with them unless I showed them a Work Permit - at that point it was a no-goer.

Months later I'd secured a Yellow House Book and used that.

All very silly to be told, yes we know you have an account with us but you don't meet the requirements to open an account !!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 12:42 PM, recom273 said:

I'm not sure if you're saying the bank refused to open for your wife a 2nd business account or a personal account. I have a chequing and savings accounts for my business (limited company), the same for personal use (although I haven't written a personal cheque in years so I don't even know if it still exists), I have another personal account in another branch same province, and 2 more accounts in same branch on a different province. All at kbank. All accounts are linked to the bank's app.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wake Up said:

You can have two or more bank accounts at Bangkok Bank in different provinces. But the bank requires a residence certificate to open each account from the province you are opening the accounts. 

Wrong. If you go with somebody who knows someone at the bank, they won't ask for anything else then your passport etc. Absolutely no hassles. That's why it is all so absurd as they invent rules that are plainly brushed aside on the next moment.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I have SCB account in Udon Thani and in Chiang Mai but I live in Lampang, though I was in the appropriate areas when I opened them.

I have 2 in Chiang Mai, at different branches, opened the second one last month.

Edited by roo860

On 9/26/2023 at 12:46 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Their initial reluctance was probably due to the relatively insignificant amount in your account that you seem to be bragging about!

Bragging about Bht 2M. If I had that much I would be jumping for joy.

I just opened a 2nd Bkk Bank account with Bht 55000

• Haha 1

I have never done, nor can I imagine why one would want to. It sounds as though it could be used for criminal purposes, not that the OP would ever think of that. But I don't understand his reasoning. What would be the purpose of transferring funds between accounts in the same institution both of which you own.

I have one Kasikorn account in Chiang Rai, another in Chiang Mai.

The OP will probably find, as I did, there are fees for transferring funds between accounts. Although I don't know if the same applies when transferring via the internet.

I will probably close the CM account the next time I am there.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

I'm not sure if you're saying the bank refused to open for your wife a 2nd business account or a personal account. I have a chequing and savings accounts for my business (limited company), the same for personal use (although I haven't written a personal cheque in years so I don't even know if it still exists), I have another personal account in another branch same province, and 2 more accounts in same branch on a different province. All at kbank. All accounts are linked to the bank's app.

For many years they refused to open a second savings account on a non-O based upon marriage, I tried multiple branches, over many years, always one of the same answer from the manager, not company policy, Bank of Thailand rules (lol), "if you had a retirement or WP then multiple accounts are OK" - I finally got one as I mentioned above.

My wife always had multiple accounts with Kasikorn, never an issue. 

Then we moved provinces, and we went with all our accounts, and I streamlined everything, we both had required two accounts, again, was not possible, I showed them my two account books and asked for them to be transferred and the older accounts closed down. They did so without any further questioning.

The wife asked for two accounts, and to close down 4 other random accounts - they said it was only possible for Thai people to have one account. She has a little casual market stall, I have been trying to keep business separate from personal banking. I asked what about businesses, how can we have a separate account for her business, surely they must offer business banking, I don't know, her turnover is OK, but doesnt make a lot, they didnt really seem to want to suggest anything, in the end they gave her two personal accounts.

Yes, my accounts are all linked with the banking app.

I think you are correct, you have a business and presumably a WP and non-B, have as many as you like, but with my marriage extension, I was always told "not possible" - others experience may vary. Just looking @richard_smith237 has a similar story to mine.

Edited by recom273

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I have never done, nor can I imagine why one would want to. It sounds as though it could be used for criminal purposes, not that the OP would ever think of that. But I don't understand his reasoning. What would be the purpose of transferring funds between accounts in the same institution both of which you own.

One account for savings and maintaining necessary funds to satisfy immigration requirements, and the other account for spending 

• Thanks 2

On 9/26/2023 at 12:42 PM, recom273 said:

I had the same experience with Bangkok Bank - they would not let me open a second account so I went elsewhere. Immigration told me I couldn't use a certificate of residence to open a bank account so I told them it was for a driving licence. I paid my 500 baht (the certificates are supposed to be free) and used it to open a bank account with Kasikorn.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Wrong. If you go with somebody who knows someone at the bank, they won't ask for anything else then your passport etc. Absolutely no hassles. That's why it is all so absurd as they invent rules that are plainly brushed aside on the next moment.

I don’t know anyone at the bank so I do what they tell me I have to do. Arguing gets me no where in Thailand with a Thai bank person or immigration or anyone else that wears a uniform. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

One with ATM/Debit Card and limited balance to reduce exposure to fraud, second to hold the balance of your money to be transferred when required, could also be a higher interest account and used for Immigration or even a Foreign Currency account.

Exactly the reason. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 1:31 PM, retarius said:

Obvious reasons... 

Who wants wants to carry around a card and make frequent online payments etc from an account with a lot of money in it ?

Account A) - Plenty of money in it (cards & book kept in the safe, never used for online transactions)

Account b) - Limited money, periodically topped up from Account A, card in wallet, used daily, used for online transactions etc

• Thanks 2

I did that with Bangkok bank.

My original account is in Phuket but I was in Bangkok often and deposit regurlary cash to my account. As I was depositing the cash from a Bangkok Bank branch for my Phuket branch, I was charged for the deposit. The branch in Bangkok advised me to open an account with them to deposit the cash and use the app to transfer to my Phuket account as the transaction is free. They didn't ask me any supported documents except my passport and my Thai driving license. My registered address is in Phuket. I was on Non O 1 year ME that time.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jphasia said:

I did that with Bangkok bank.

My original account is in Phuket but I was in Bangkok often and deposit regurlary cash to my account. As I was depositing the cash from a Bangkok Bank branch for my Phuket branch, I was charged for the deposit. The branch in Bangkok advised me to open an account with them to deposit the cash and use the app to transfer to my Phuket account as the transaction is free. They didn't ask me any supported documents except my passport and my Thai driving license. My registered address is in Phuket. I was on Non O 1 year ME that time.

I did the same with Bangkok Bank. Original account in Pattaya, opened another in Khon Kaen. Only had passport as at that time. They took copies of my Mrs's blue house book and ID card.

• Thanks 1