What Makes Your Prefer Pattaya Over Phuket?

BKKDUDE

For me it's Phuket, Similar thread in phuket forum, Feel free to jump in there and back up ur second home. Please add what's what i missed

Air and climate:

Phuket

Nature and scenary:

Phuket

Beaches:

Phuket

Diving and snorkling:

Phuket

Fight Sports and Gyms:

Pattaya

Golf:

Phuket ( again i'm not sure)

shopping:

pattaya

Rent:

Pattaya

Business:

Depands

Food:

Depands (i guess pattaya)

Nightlife:

Pattaya

Girls beauty:

Phuket

proximity to bkk and elsewhere:

Pattaya

Farangs friendliness:

Phuket

Thais friendliness:

Pattaya

less Crime:

Phuket

Generation Old:

phuket

Generation Young:

Equal

Very close Phuket 9 pattaya 6. so vote goes to phuket

Both places have their strong points. Phuket is more of a daytime, family oriented location. Pattaya is night time party central.

You correctly identified Pattaya as being the cheaper alternative and this, together with the fact that I have witnessed Pattaya develop over many years, makes Pattaya my first choice.

I especially love Pattayas' vast selection of restaurants offering various cuisines.

I first visited Phuket in the early 80's and loved it. There was only bungalows to stay at in those days. We had the beach all to ourselves.

I next visited Phuket late 90's and hated it. The once pristine, bushland location has been built out by high rise hotels. I lasted there only three nights before rushing back to Pattaya.

I have just come back from a weeks holiday in Phuket. What I hated the most was the constant rain (thread here about that) and as an outdoors person this is no good for me. There is rarely a day that I can't get out in Pattaya because of the weather. Pattaya is also far far cheaper than Phuket, for example I am renting a 64 sq mt condo for 7,000 baht a month. Hotels are also much cheaper here in Patters, ones with pools for between 500 and 600 baht a night. The biggest plus in Pattaya is it's entertainment, hundreds of bars, Go Go Clubs, night clubs and live music venues. I am out most nights of the week and enjoy this so much. When comparing restaurants and beer prices, Phuket was nearly double to Pattaya.

Phuket on the other hand is very beautiful, the beaches and lookouts are second to none. As a motorcyclist I prefer riding around Phuket much more than Pattaya.

Had a great holiday but in the end I was glad to come back to good ol Pattaya where I can find ice cold beers cheaply, friendly local people and the best entertainment venue in the world.

Phuket is far more expensive than Pattaya for pretty much everything. This keeps away a 'certain' type of tourist which in my opinion is good. Too many dodgy types in Pattaya, we have them here in Phuket too, but far less of them than can be found in Pattaya.

There's a number of points here that I could take issue with - especially if you take into account the 'greater Pattaya area' which would include the much cleaner air, East of Pattaya, and some nice beaches both North, and especially South of Pattaya - but there's not much point. It's 'horses for courses' and really depends on personal taste, your personal circumstances (including your budget) and what you really want out of the resort.

However, I am intrigued by the OP's judgement that the women in Phuket are more beautiful. Are you saying that ladies from the South of Thailand are more beautiful than ladies from the eastern seaboard, and more notably, Issan?

Of course there are beautiful ladies from every part of Thailand, but this particular generalisation seems a bit suspect to me... :o

Cinema availability. Much better in Pattaya, and many more screens coming soon.

The budget style farang food restaurants are also quite a Pattaya treasure even drawing budget stressed Bangkokians. It is hard to get South Thailand style food in Pattaya.

I think Phuket is a very lovely island, but one of the main hobbies of the expats there seems to be dissing Pattaya. "We are great because we are not Pattaya and we don't have the same scum people as Pattaya." Give me a break. You don't hear the reverse in Pattaya, so I consider that a spiritually superior point of view. Yes, I know, Pattaya spiritually superior? Very cheeky of me to suggest it.

Edited by Jingthing

Well i live in phuket , this is not a personal choice but a buisiness one.

We have recently opened in Pattaya so i'm spending quite alot of time there at the moment and given the choice Patters wins hands down, cheaper , more choice , Thais seem more freindly , access to just about everything is easier , oh yeah and we dont have crazy dave over here either :o

If you want to compare the two you have to look at similar areas, Pattaya central and Patong for example. Phuket is a largish island, with many areas, Pattaya is usually considered the thin strip along the coast bounded by Suk, Nakeua and Jomtien, sometimes including those 2. There is more to Pattaya if you want to include a strip of land tat is 30km by 20km centred around the city, which is a large chunk of Chonburi provence. Phuket is a little larger than 30x20Km.

Phuket, minimum for for a motocy, 50B, Pattaya10-20B,

Minimum fare on a minbus or similar (they think they are taxis) Phuket 150B, Pattaya from 20B Your milage may vary, but limited out of the tourist areas.

Phuket does have a "propper" bus system to get around, which is something Pattaya needs to look at.

Shopping centres / destinations

Big C Pattaya 2 Phuket 1?

Carfore Pattaya 1 Puket 1

Tesco Pattaya 2 Phuket ?

Makro Pattaya 0 Phuket 1

The people who make the decisions to put this type of infrastructure look at the overall ability to support their investment.

Industries

Phuket, some agriculture, but mainly tourism.

Pattaya/Chonburi provence, Ports, Agriculture, Manufacturing and tourism.

Then there are the rents, Phuket is almost double the price of Pattaya for commercial and residential rents, based on my research in May whilst looking at similar types of places.

This is not a complete comparison, just a sample.

Phuket - Island

Patta's - Resort (fun)

As said above depends what you are looking for? are you living or just visiting? are you with a family or single? blah blah blah

Personally as a visitior I prefer Phuket though it is more expensive and transport is the biggest rip-off!

Having just moved to Phuket I am still trying to make the comparison as to which is better but I suspect strongly that the answer will be Phuket. But a couple of points from other posts on this subject:

1) There are a couple of world class shopping malls here, the Central Mall and the new Jungceylon in Patong both of which easily outclass those in Pattaya.

2) The cost of living here, excluding rent is, as far as we can determine, the same as anywhere else in Thailand. We've just moved from Chiang Mai and prices here for just about everything are very similar to Chiang Mai. We live in Patong but shop in Kathu where the locals shop and at Carrefour and Tesco - surprisingly some things here are even cheaper than in Chiang Mai. Sure, if you shop in Patong and drink and eat there it can get very expensive so the answer is, don't. If you think about it it only makes sense that is the case since the big supermarkets have to cater to the majority which is always going to be working class Thai's and that group earns about the same amount of money all over Thailand.

There's a number of points here that I could take issue with - especially if you take into account the 'greater Pattaya area' which would include the much cleaner air, East of Pattaya, and some nice beaches both North, and especially South of Pattaya - but there's not much point. It's 'horses for courses' and really depends on personal taste, your personal circumstances (including your budget) and what you really want out of the resort.

However, I am intrigued by the OP's judgement that the women in Phuket are more beautiful. Are you saying that ladies from the South of Thailand are more beautiful than ladies from the eastern seaboard, and more notably, Issan?

Of course there are beautiful ladies from every part of Thailand, but this particular generalisation seems a bit suspect to me... :o

The women in the South tend to have real noses rather than the squashed tomato or trunk usually seen on many Issan women and that tends to make them look more attractive.

Having just moved to Phuket I am still trying to make the comparison as to which is better but I suspect strongly that the answer will be Phuket. But a couple of points from other posts on this subject:

1) There are a couple of world class shopping malls here, the Central Mall and the new Jungceylon in Patong both of which easily outclass those in Pattaya.

Just for the record - Central are currently building a large store on Beach road, which will be undoubtedly be more handy for tourists than the one which is out of town in Phuket. Additionally, Robinson are building on second road.

Lack of major Dept stores has always been one of my negatives with regards to Pattaya, but by early 2008, this problem will be solved.

BTW - I do like the Central complex in Phuket - very good and I was quite envious.

Of course there are beautiful ladies from every part of Thailand, but this particular generalisation seems a bit suspect to me... :D

The women in the South tend to have real noses rather than the squashed tomato or trunk usually seen on many Issan women and that tends to make them look more attractive.

So Phuket is a better place because the ladies don't have squashed noses? :D

Some of the Issan ladies are quite breath-taking in their beauty - noses an'all. :o

I really don't see how anyone can seriously make claims that the ladies from one part of Thailand are more beautiful than those from another part. There is beauty everywhere, as there is ugliness everywhere.

When I first came to Thailand 35 odd years ago, everyone went on about how beautiful the Chiang Mai ladies were - but that was before the Issan ladies started to stray from their home villages. These days you hardly hear about the beauties of Chiang Mai.

At the end of the day "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - squashed noses not withstanding" - and while all the other aspects of this debate are arguable one way or another, I cannot agree that any discussion over southern beauties vs eastern beauties vs north eastern beauties.......is a legitimate aspect of the argument.

When i was i pattaya last time, i saw lots of busty BG, because they can be cheaper companion. Beautiful girls go to bangkok or

phuket where they get compensated better. I took part in phuket town nightlife where you raraly see farangs and i felt most girls are even much better looking than patong and meantine not needy and thai man is their first choice, but not the only choice.

Let's not forget, we have plenty more beautiful E-sarn girls in phuket than i remember 2.5 years ago, and i felt girls are

little more pushy than before because of competition.

For me it's Phuket, Similar thread in phuket forum, Feel free to jump in there and back up ur second home. Please add what's what i missed

Girls beauty:

Phuket

Errrr - you've been comparing Andaman Queen with (where)?

Most of the girls I know in both places are Isaan girls - some have left Pattaya for Phuket, some have left Phuket for Pattaya. Really no different - but maybe less juiced-up on pills in Phuket.

Girls beauty:

Phuket

Errrr - you've been comparing Andaman Queen with (where)?

Most of the girls I know in both places are Isaan girls - some have left Pattaya for Phuket, some have left Phuket for Pattaya. Really no different - but maybe less juiced-up on pills in Phuket.

Believe you me I'm certainly no expert these days, but I strongly suspect that generally speaking, the beauty or otherwise of the women in any given establishment is directly proportional to the size of the pockets of the punters who patronise those establishments.

Thus, you will find some pretty stunning looking ladies in some of the more up market establishments in Soi 33 BKK , and - shall we say - more 'homely' looking specimens at many of the 'cheap Charlie' Beer bars that pervade the Pattaya environs. But if you venture into some of the better class establishments in Pattaya - that mainly cater to the better off tourists, you will certainly find a better class of lady. That isn't to say you won't find the odd gorgeous lass almost anywhere, if you look hard enough. That's one of the great things about this country. You don't have to touch - just feast your eyes on the beauty that really is everywhere.

I remain to be convinced that Phuket has more stunning ladies than Pattaya - or anywhere else for that matter.

You just have to know where to find them. :o

I love them both. I've lived in Phuket a long time though and I feel "at home" there, with friends, contacts etc. On the other hand, every time I return from a stint offshore, I go to Pattaya first to let it all hang out before going home to Phuket. I did once consider keeping an apartment in both places but decided eventually that I should continue to live in Phuket and keep Pattaya as a place to go for my holidays.

Edited by dogblower

I've never beent to Phuket but obviously love Pattaya (what's not to love?). I'm heading down to Phuket in a week or so though and wanted to ask for recommendations for cheap hotels. I'm willing to stay in Phuket Town and would like 600 or under. Also any place in Phuket Town for cheap scooter rental? Say 100-150/day?

I love them both. I've lived in Phuket a long time though and I feel "at home" there, with friends, contacts etc. On the other hand, every time I return from a stint offshore, I go to Pattaya first to let it all hang out before going home to Phuket. I did once consider keeping an apartment in both places but decided eventually that I should continue to live in Phuket and keep Pattaya as a place to go for my holidays.

And when your 'offshore' life is done and you have money in the bank and the rest of your life to spend it, where will you be?

A month or so in Phuket is plenty, as far as I am concerned - and that used to include one or two five-day diving trips. OK, you can also chill in Koh Phi Phi, spend time in Krabi and Ao PhangNga, so on, so on - but this gives about eight weeks total before you've done it all twice over.

No, Party City is the place for me.