Solid state ExTernal Hard drives

Robin

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Were the Blue or Green?

My WU Greens and Seagates from around that time have mostly failed already.

Just had a look at the 2 WU Blue I have in use, and they are from 2009

Pretty sure they were blues, because I don't remember ever seeing a green.  But I'll admit I'm not sure.  I just bought what was available because choices were slim after the flood.   Had 2 of them in each of 2 Dell servers and lost 3 of the 4 within a year or so.  Fortunately, the HDD's that came from Dell are still working 10+ years later.

If yours were from 2009, they were pre-flood.  

Edit:  I'd already had my run of bad luck with Seagates, so I am sure they were all WD's.  Still have them in storage on the outside chance I'll figure out there's some data there that I'm missing so badly that I'd pay to have them recovered.

Edited by impulse

I would be interested in links to articles on how safe long term storage is on SSD drives.  I just bought 2. A 1 tb and a 2tb samsung T7  they were 65$ and 125$ . I bought to take off some of our photos on our samsung phones.  These plug right into the phones and backup was super fast.   They are super small.   

Edited by Elkski
Bought on Amazon. Delivered in 1 day in USA

34 minutes ago, BenStark said:

https://solved.scality.com/solved/high-density-power-consumption-hdd-vs-qlc-flash/SSD-vs-HDD-power-consumption-table.png

https://www.quora.com/How-many-amps-is-a-USB-port

A USB-2 port can deliver 500 mA at 5V, half an amp. A USB-3 port can deliver 900 mA. If USB-PD is implemented, which it is on some but not all USB-C ports, they can negotiate up to 5A at 20V.

What you fail to mention or perhaps did not even notice is that the drives referenced in the article are DATA CENTRE drives ????

They aren’t ever going to be fitted to a standard USB caddy. A standard USB caddy might accept drives of up to perhaps 4TB. The drive in question has a capacity of 30.72TB. You are doing a GammaG…. Reading, quoting, but not really fully understanding…

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, NextG said:

What you fail to mention or perhaps did not even notice is that the drives referenced in the article are DATA CENTRE drives ????

They aren’t ever going to be fitted to a standard USB caddy. A standard USB caddy might accept drives of up to perhaps 4TB. The drive in question has a capacity of 30.72TB. You are doing a GammaG…. Reading, quoting, but not really fully understanding…

Well here it is from a few other sources, and PLEASE do not reply to me ever again, as I know this thread will transform in a <deleted> storm of arguments once you have entered.

Bye

https://digitalworld839.com/hdd-vs-ssd-power-consumption/

https://superuser.com/questions/1545690/why-do-2-5-ssds-use-more-power-than-2-5-hdds

https://www.windowscentral.com/hardware/ssd-vs-hdd-we-know-about-speed-but-what-about-power-consumption

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Were the Blue or Green?

My WU Greens and Seagates from around that time have mostly failed already.

Just had a look at the 2 WU Blue I have in use, and they are from 2009

Is WU the same as WD? In this case I can say that I junked all my WD drives, both NAS and PC, years ago. Same goes for Hitachi, used to be excellent HDD until WD bought up the company.

Seagate are the only drives I use now.

Just now, SpaceKadet said:

Is WU the same as WD? In this case I can say that I junked all my WD drives, both NAS and PC, years ago. Same goes for Hitachi, used to be excellent HDD until WD bought up the company.

Seagate are the only drives I use now.

Yeah my bad, don't know why I wrote WU (western union haha), should have been WD

On 9/27/2023 at 11:02 AM, KhunBENQ said:

As writte above: checked Advice online and they have a bunch of 500 GB to 1 TB external SSDs.

There was a lot of news about Sandisk (Extreme) having problems with their SSDs failing quickly.

I still stick to HDDs for external backup.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:47 AM, SpaceKadet said:

Me too.solid state drives fail, that's it. No recovery possible. That's not the case with HDD's. Just need a quality drive in a good case. I use WD Ultrastor as an internal backup.

Edited by ozimoron

Bottom line is; any storage medium whether it be SSD or HDD can fail at any time. Could be in the first month, could be 20 years, you just don't know.

That's why you must always have at least one backup for any data you don't want to lose.

PS - 2.5 inch SATA drives whether hard disk or SSD can be powered by USB (via a caddy / USB to SATA adapter), regardless of whatever was posted earlier...

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Well here it is from a few other sources, and PLEASE do not reply to me ever again, as I know this thread will transform in a <deleted> storm of arguments once you have entered.

Bye

https://digitalworld839.com/hdd-vs-ssd-power-consumption/

https://superuser.com/questions/1545690/why-do-2-5-ssds-use-more-power-than-2-5-hdds

https://www.windowscentral.com/hardware/ssd-vs-hdd-we-know-about-speed-but-what-about-power-consumption

Perhaps you should read your sources before you post them, as the first one states that SSD utilise LESS power and the third one is simply using the DATA CENTRE report as a reference, so nothing to do with consumer SSD. 

So we’ll reference the second one; the Superuser answers. One reader writes about his HDD drawing 0.044 Watts(idle) whilst his 2.5” SSD draws 0.045 Watts when idle. When running a large amount of writes, the HDD 1.9 Watts and the SSD 2.6 Watts…. Nothing like the 20 Watts you quoted in answer to KannikaP. 

BUT in addition, the HDD will likely be doing constant small writes in the background AND because it will take longer to complete the tasks, it will be using more power on average anyway. 

But back to the main point; KannikaP was right and you were wrong. Carry on. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Most SATA to USB caddies, or simple cables should work whatever SSD or PC you are using. If they don't, they are fake.

The exception, of course, is to do with the FORM of the SSD and not the power consumption as suggested by BenStark. A NVMe(M.2 form) won’t fit into a 2.5” caddy. 

8 hours ago, NextG said:

The exception, of course, is to do with the FORM of the SSD and not the power consumption as suggested by BenStark. A NVMe(M.2 form) won’t fit into a 2.5” caddy. 

Obviously. You can now buy caddies specifically for M2 drives.

8 hours ago, NextG said:

Perhaps you should read your sources before you post them, as the first one states that SSD utilise LESS power and the third one is simply using the DATA CENTRE report as a reference, so nothing to do with consumer SSD. 

So we’ll reference the second one; the Superuser answers. One reader writes about his HDD drawing 0.044 Watts(idle) whilst his 2.5” SSD draws 0.045 Watts when idle. When running a large amount of writes, the HDD 1.9 Watts and the SSD 2.6 Watts…. Nothing like the 20 Watts you quoted in answer to KannikaP. 

BUT in addition, the HDD will likely be doing constant small writes in the background AND because it will take longer to complete the tasks, it will be using more power on average anyway. 

But back to the main point; KannikaP was right and you were wrong. Carry on. 

Thank you Mister. 555

On 9/28/2023 at 10:50 PM, NextG said:

Yes. I had an intermediate SSD format (pre NVMe) in my Sony Vaio. By the time I replaced it, this format was no longer available in bigger capacity, so I had to downgrade to SATA which is slower. To use the old SSD as an external drive, I had to order an enclosure from Hong Kong.