Exit 12 month house rental early due to a family member who's terminally ill, there's no terms in the contract for early termination and the contract is very basic and informal but does have key details

On 9/27/2023 at 11:55 AM, richielg said:

I understand the meaning and function of a lease thanks. I'm not "trying to use my personal issue". My dads going to die in 4 months. It's not unreasonable to consider whether the imminent death of an immediate family member in a foreign country is extenuating circumstances. In fact one part of Thai law states you can get out of a fixed term contract for health reasons which is not a million miles away so I was hoping maybe someone on here might have some deeper insights other than to explain to me what a <deleted> contract is while trivialising the situation of dads imminent death and my predicament as me simply me using my person issue against the landlord.

It sounds like you're trying to do the right thing so let me toss this out; ask your landlord to use the time you're in the UK to do his renovations with the understanding that when you return (if that's your plan) it's still your house until the end of the current lease.

The 2 of you can reach a new agreement after that - you move or pay the same or slightly increased rent for the next year since he won't suffer any loss while renovating.