Thailand braces for heavy rain and strong winds, warns Department of Meteorology

webfact

image.jpeg

The Department of Meteorology issued its 13th announcement, revealing that numerous provinces are set to be impacted by heavy rainfall on 28-29 September. Strong winds, flash floods, and forest run-offs are expected in many areas. High waves are anticipated in the sea on 28 September.

The announcement focused on the low-pressure area covering the western part of the northern region of Thailand, while a trough of monsoon is passing over the upper part of the country.

This situation will result in heavy rain in the northern, northeastern, and central, including Bangkok and its vicinity, eastern and southern regions. There will be very heavy rain in some areas during 28-29 September.

The Meteorology Department warned Thai citizens to be cautious of dangers from very heavy rain and strong winds in some areas, which could result in flash floods and forest run-offs, particularly in areas on hill slopes, near waterways, and in basins. Motorists are also advised to be cautious while driving through rainstorms and avoid staying in open areas, under large trees, and weak advertising signs.

The provinces expected to have heavy to very heavy rain in some areas include the following:

On 28 September, the northern region includes Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Phrae, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phitsanulok, and Phetchabun provinces.

by Nattapong Westwood

Image by Bilanol

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The true wet season has arrived. Very late this year. Warnings like this have been running for months and basically did not come to pass. Now it's pretty much a given. I wonder how long the wet season will run for? Into November? December? Have to wait and see but it has come late this year. Just outside of BKK and had the 1st real wet season storm Tuesday night. Lasted a good couple of hours.

12 hours non-stop here yesterday near Phitsanulok. My lawn loved it!

Someone riding their motor bike home did not. 555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Same same report every day.

I pay no attention to these reports, not sure if it is the reporting or the source but they are often way off the mark and usually way too broad to be any use. 

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

This situation will result in heavy rain in the northern, northeastern, and central, including Bangkok and its vicinity, eastern and southern regions. There will be very heavy rain in some areas during 28-29 September.

I mean, come on ! ????

Best to use them as an advisory to go and check a proper weather information source.

• Like 1

Wet season in Udon Thani was a bit slow to start with between May and July, but plenty enough for rice. Last 2 months exceptionally wet - possibly most in the last 4 years. Roads in and out of the village have been flooded numerous times this last month. Should end soon, hopefully, then i can get the veggies growing.

• Thumbs Up 1