Beer

KannikaP

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Next time weigh the beer.  As water and beer are so close in weight, as are different beers that the difference would be miniscule.  Nothing near 3%, or even 1%.  So round down the difference, and that's what they're cheating you, and you're probably being very generous.

A 5% beer has a density of 0.9895 g/mL, so it's a 1% difference.

Beer is the worst possible choice in terms of carbohydrate load, which is why the term beer gut evolved. The OP would be better off drinking Sangsom, less expensive for alcohol content as well.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

A 5% beer has a density of 0.9895, so it's a 1% difference.

Beer is the worst possible choice in terms of carbohydrate load, which is why the term beer gut evolved. The OP would be better off drinking Sangsom, less expensive for alcohol content as well.

Your joking...............????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Because they can and they know it will upset you. Ignore them and they will disappear.

I know who they are, and have put them on ignore. Hey, I don't really care about tossers.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A 5% beer has a density of 0.9895 g/mL, so it's a 1% difference.

But I drink beer because it is refreshing and I like the taste of most of them. 

OK, I drink Sangsom or Kulov voddy when I want/need to get pi55ed.

In other situations, a nice big J is fine!

Edited by KannikaP

Just now, transam said:

Your joking...............????

Do the math. A 5% beer at 620 mL contains 31 mL of ethanol. Cost 60 baht.

A 700 mL bottle of Sangsom at 40% ethanol contains 280 mL of ethanol. Cost 286 baht.

One is paying approximately 2 baht/mL of ethanol if they imbibe beer, and 1 baht/mL with Sangsom.

• Sad 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

Do the math. A 5% beer at 620 mL contains 31 mL of ethanol. Cost 60 baht.

A 700 mL bottle of Sangsom at 40% ethanol contains 280 mL of ethanol. Cost 286 baht.

One is paying approximately 2 baht/mL of ethanol if they imbibe beer, and 1 baht/mL with Sangsom.

No, I mean it is 'orrible, plus having a beer looks a lot better than folk coming round, and you're on the heavy gear at lunch......????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I think you are comparable to the others you referenced and need a hobby (or life).

It must be boring where you live.

Why did you reply to such a thread then. Nothing better to do?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Really? 

Yes Mr Troll, and you wonder why you collect confused and sad emoji's?

https://phys.org/news/2009-07-cools-explanation.html

Most of us, when we take our first science classes, learn that when things cool down, they shrink. (When they heat up, we learn, they usually expand.) However, water seems to be the exception to the rule. Instead of shrinking as it cools, this common liquid actually expands.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why did you reply to such a thread then. Nothing better to do?

Just winding down from dinner and waiting for the better half to finish so I thought I would check out the newer posts and saw this crap......couldn't resist trying to tweak your feelers. It must have worked.....  <wink wink>

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Yes Mr Troll, and you wonder why you collect confused and sad emoji's?

https://phys.org/news/2009-07-cools-explanation.html

Most of us, when we take our first science classes, learn that when things cool down, they shrink. (When they heat up, we learn, they usually expand.) However, water seems to be the exception to the rule. Instead of shrinking as it cools, this common liquid actually expands.

Only when it becomes a solid.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, dingdongrb said:

Just winding down from dinner and waiting for the better half to finish so I thought I would check out the newer posts and saw this crap......couldn't resist trying to tweak your feelers. It must have worked.....  <wink wink>

Oh, riiiight........So, trolling.........?  :ermm:

Try telling your other half she is getting fat, then you will probably have more time together instead of wasting peoples time here.....????

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, transam said:

No, I mean it is 'orrible, plus having a beer looks a lot better than folk coming round, and you're on the heavy gear at lunch......????

I've been off alcohol for the past seven months, so my post is solely out of academic interest.

Prior to that, I preferred Sangsom over beer for dietary and taste reasons. Here, the only drinkable brand of beer seems to be Lao Dark.

Many years ago, when I audited the laboratory of a large brewery in Australia, the chief chemist told me beer has a shelf life of six months at most, less in hotter climates. It's probably why beer here is variable in taste.

I don't worry at all about what people think of my eating and drinking preferences.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

When liquid water is cooled, it contracts like one would expect until a temperature of approximately 4 degrees Celsius is reached. After that, it expands slightly until it reaches the freezing point

http://www.iapws.org/faq1/freeze.html

Correct. I was making the point water shrinks until then.

ri

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've been off alcohol for the past seven months, so my post is solely out of academic interest.

Prior to that, I preferred Sangsom over beer for dietary and taste reasons. Here, the only drinkable brand of beer seems to be Lao Dark.

Many years ago, when I audited the laboratory of a large brewery in Australia, the chief chemist told me beer has a shelf life of six months at most, less in hotter climates. It's probably why beer here is variable in taste.

I don't worry at all about what people think of my eating and drinking preferences.

Agree with you on all points there.

If i drink beer for a few days, I will easily gain weight, which I don't if I drink spirits, although I surely consumed more alcohol.

I also like Sangsom, it is a good tipple at an affordable price, and the only 2 beers I buy are Cheers riceberry and Laos dark.

The latter is rarer than hens teeth though. Been searching everywhere for weeks, and the most recent I can find is February 2023. The 3 Makro's within 20 km radius are November 2022,. No thanks

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, riiiight........So, trolling.........?  :ermm:

Try telling your other half she is getting fat, then you will probably have more time together instead of wasting peoples time here.....????

Trolling...... You should know as I think you are one of the resident experts.

Fat? Hardly, but to make you feel better I will say yes, those huge knockers on her lean 50kg frame do make her look fat.

Besides a fatty is much better than what you're accustomed to, 'Left Hand Rosey Palm'.

Glad to see your post, Kannika. Thought I was the only one wise to this stuff. By stuff I mean this kind of low-down, sneaky 'kee-gong' scamming going on to squeeze every satang of profit they can. ('They' being the big brewery monopoly boys in TH.)

First got a whiff of their games when (about 10 years ago) it suddenly went from 330ml to 320ml & 640ml to 620ml & 500ml to 490ml..............just like that. Overnight. Excuse? Brewers don't wanna raise prices, so keep the price stable but reduce capacity. Nonsense.....prices went up anyway......and profits went higher still. 

So, being a bitter & twisted saddo.....but also a man of principle, I switched to foreign brews, like Asahi or Budweiser (it ain't bad!!). Put my intake back at proper levels, ie, 330ml or 500ml per can. A bit pricier but then....I figured I was worth it! ????

Will end this with a helpful (I hope) tip, KannikaP...... and anyone else out there who drinks their beers from.....bottles. Tip is this: try cans. Taste is measureably better imo. (It IS different anyway, definitely, but 'better' is for you to judge of course.....and yes, I know.....if you're drinking outside somewhere, it's all bottled, so it's for those folks like me who drink at home a lot. )

Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, Toolong said:

First got a whiff of their games when (about 10 years ago) it suddenly went from 330ml to 320ml & 640ml to 620ml & 500ml to 490ml..............just like that. Overnight. Excuse? Brewers don't wanna raise prices, so keep the price stable but reduce capacity. Nonsense.....prices went up anyway......and profits went higher still. 

I take it that prices of alcohol never increase in your home country

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Just opened my big Singha bottle, which  says 620 ml. Filled the bottle up with water and here is the result.

20 ml less, which is 3.33% they are cheating you out of.

image.jpeg

Doing the lord's, work see.

righting wrongs, innit.