Neighbor stealing my water?

Chris Daley

Doesn't speak a word of english? yet he asked you "what was wrong with it" and suggested that" if it didn't work you should buy a new one"  he also managed to tell you he was "returning to the office" his english would appear to be better than your Thai.

Anyway he's not stealing your water, he is stealing your electricity, so simply start by switching off the pump when you are not there or not using it for any length of time. Or as others have suggested re plumb the piping from the pump  to your house effectively cutting him off, 

Rightly or wrongly you should expect some unpleasantness somewhere during the proceedings

3 hours ago, PR3 said:

Sometimes there's a one way valve fitted between the house pressurised pipework and the mains. They sometimes start to fail (water back pasees);and the pump switches on occasionally just to repressurise the house circuit.

Why you would consider someone to be dodgy because he smokes tobacco and takes his shirt off if he's hot is quite amusing. 

Don't be so judgemental it's the tropics it's hot and many males smoke here.

looks dodgy to me. I don’t care how hot it is or if many people smoke here.

4 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

We have just moved into a new house and noticed the pump runs even when no one is using it.  One time we both went out and when we returned it was running.  As soon as we walked to the back of the house it stopped.

So we called the village technician.  Turns out the neighbor is the village technician.  He is a dodgy man.  Shirtless and smoking a lot.  And something is terribly wrong with him as he doesn't speak a word of English.

So he went to the back of the house and stared at it.  He looked at me and said 'what's wrong with it'?  He then said that it doesn't work and we should buy a new one.  I then said to him no it works too much.  It is on and off all day.

He said he will go back to the office and we haven't seen him since.

I looked at the back and it looks like the pipe goes into the neighbor wall and is hidden under some bricks.

Still not sure if he is stealing it but he looks shifty.

You better move back to your home country:

Can't sort out your visa.

Something is terribly wrong because a Thai in Thailand doesn't speak English. 

It is on and off all day (what is this supposed to mean).

• Love It 1

Similar arguments have arised in some housing developpments. House owners usually farangs, often not in Thailand, get abnormal electricity or water bills to pay each month directly to the developpment managers. Such cases highlited issues of overrating due r to faulty meters or reckless settings of the automated garden or plant watering systems. Sometimes just to clean the space in front of the house the developpment staff would connect their water house in a tap inside a private unoccupied home. Always keep an eye on your property especially if you are not always in it.

The problem might be cracked pipes.

My sister in law had this problem at her near-new house. The pump could be heard outside even when no-one was using any water inside the house.

It turns out there was a problem with the pipes below ground which had a crack and water was leaking all the time, which caused the pump to continuously pump water up in to the water tank. She got a guy out who diagnosed the problem. A few of his crew come out and after a lot of digging, removal of the cracked pipes, laying new pipes and 2 days / 10,000 baht later, it was fixed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ravip said:

Sometimes it's very difficult to fathom what's happening. Especially if the plumbing is underground. 

Further,  everyone is not technically oriented. 

Your comment is very unreasonable. IMHO.

Correct, when I bought my house in Pattaya the pump would cycle several times day/night even when not in use.A lot of the blue pipes were buried and some digging and investigating showed some dodgy plumbing which I bypassed and eliminated . Off/on cycling stopped immediately.

The pump shouldn't be running unless water is leaking out or as someone mentioned faulty non return valve.

Working with the local blue plastic tubing is simple, You Tube is your friend.

Get your hands dirty and have a good look.