Thai universities shine in Times Higher Education World Rankings 2024

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

ranking within the 601-800 world range, showing improvement from their previous 801-1,000 range. 

Thanks for that.............?  But would it have been too much trouble for a reporter to report the reported change?

According to the article, this university could possibly have jumped from a 1000 ranking to a number 601 ranking.

Or could have barely managed to squeak from number 801 to number 800.

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, freeworld said:

Seriously, Thailand could be just one of the best countries on earth.

I think most living or visiting here could agree.

Sorry no appropriate emoji for this. Not sure if you're being sarcastic or believe this. I hope it's the former.

• Haha 1

I didn't read the article, but I do follow the qs rankings somewhat.

The only University that's making any real move forward in ranking are King Mongkut universities. In particular, Thonburi .

Most of the top universities are treading water and even slipping a slot or two last time I really looked closely at the issue

Most Thai universities are on the list bc of all the PhDs nothing more. We all know what education is worth here be it a HS diploma or a PhD

Edited by Jelli
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

Hilarious. Let's celebrate. 

Left in the dust by the University of Islamabad. 

Pretty putrid considering that the university mentioned charges a minimum of 1 million baht for their "programs". 

And there are mugs who actually pay for this.

My boy goes to Mahidol and it's like B17K a semester. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jelli said:

I didn't read the article, but I do follow the qs rankings somewhat.

The only University that's making any real move forward in ranking are King Mongkut universities. In particular, Thonburi .

Most of the top universities are treading water and even slipping a slot or two last time I really looked closely at the issue

Most Thai universities are on the list bc of all the PhDs nothing more. We all know what education is worth here be it a HS diploma or a PhD

"We all" don't know that. My boy had a far better education when he graduated high school here than he would have gotten from most schools in the US. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

"We all" don't know that. My boy had a far better education when he graduated high school here than he would have gotten from most schools in the US. 

Hopefully his English might have 'gotten' a bit better here in Thailand .????

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
gotten

The past participle of the irregular verb “get” can be either “gotten” or “got,” depending on whether you're using UK or US English. In US English, “gotten” is standard, but “got” is considered acceptable. In UK English, “got” is correct.

I absolute loathe this word. I use got rarely but gotten is pretty pleb. The word is have - use it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Thanks for that.............?  But would it have been too much trouble for a reporter to report the reported change?

According to the article, this university could possibly have jumped from a 1000 ranking to a number 601 ranking.

Or could have barely managed to squeak from number 801 to number 800.

This is the only information available to the reporter or anyone else. Only the first 200 get individual ranks. The next 200 get ranked in a block of 50, the next 200 in a block of 100 and so on. 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Celsius said:

What program is this that costs 17k baht per semester? I know tuition for Thais is lower, but not that much lower.

You are thinking of their international college not the Thai Government university.  MUIC, Mahidol university international college.

18 minutes ago, Jelli said:

In public school???

Yes

Even the top five Thai publics (pub/private) can't boast that.

Boast what? Do you have any idea how bad education has gotten in the US? It was bad in the '70s when I went to HS, and it's gotten nothing but worse. 

Oh, that's right, you paid 450k a term not 45k a year for real Thai public education. ????

Oh, you're making stuff up again. He went to a great government high school in Bangkok, he had to test to get in, and I think it was around B5-6K a term. 

Maybe move to a better neighborhood in states??

Did you mean to say States? I no longer live in the US.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes

Boast what? Do you have any idea how bad education has gotten in the US? It was bad in the '70s when I went to HS, and it's gotten nothing but worse. 

Oh, you're making stuff up again. He went to a great government high school in Bangkok, he had to test to get in, and I think it was around B5-6K a term. 

Did you mean to say States? I no longer live in the US.

So, I'm curious...

Surely you can name the school??

Yeah, I don't disagree about Education in USA but a better zip code solves that issue .

12 minutes ago, marin said:

You are thinking of their international college not the Thai Government university.  MUIC, Mahidol university international college.

MUIC is not highly prestigious nor especially competitive. Chula for Intl programs.

Only had one student and thousands that was interested in going there and it was because they offered a remedial program

Edited by Jelli
  • Like 1

Just now, Jelli said:

So, I'm curious...

Surely you can name the school??

I went to:

John Dolland Elementary K-4

Ramona Elementary 5-6 (due to integration) 

John Glenn HS

Cerritos Collage AA

Cal Poly Pomona, BS

You? 

Just now, Jelli said:

Yeah, I don't disagree about Education in USA but a better zip code solves that issue .

Yes, rich people in the US generally have better schools than the poor, even those have suffered dramatically. 

• Love It 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

I went to:

John Dolland Elementary K-4

Ramona Elementary 5-6 (due to integration) 

John Glenn HS

Cerritos Collage AA

Cal Poly Pomona, BS

You? 

Yes, rich people in the US generally have better schools than the poor, even those have suffered dramatically. 

I meant your son lol.

I don't want to post my personal history.

Grew up in the same area. Cerritos is okay community college and Cal Poly Pomona is a very solid regional university although not necessarily nationally prestigious polytechnic.

I had two close friends go there. One CS degree, the other electrical engineering.

Good for yew

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That's what I thought, thanks! 

Is it really?

I mean it was never about you lol. I was curious about your son's school in Thailand.

I'll message if it will make you feel better.

Edited by Jelli
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jelli said:

Is it really?

Yes

I mean it was never about you lol.

I know it wasn't lol

I was curious about your son's school in Thailand.

I doubt you give much of a rat's about that. 

I'll message if it will make you feel better.

Sure, you tell me more about yourself and where you come from.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1