Buoyant EV market raising skill gap concerns

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Do please share a link to where you have complained about massive trucks destroying the roads. 

I can wait 

Don't be silly. It's about comparing like with like. An electric truck would weigh much more than the ICE versions you showed.

We can all compare apples to oranges to attempt to prove a point. How about we compare an ICE Suzuki Celerio to a Tesla Model X? 820 kg vs 2771 kg. Fair?

Fact is, when comparing apples to apples, electric vehicles are a lot heavier and therefore have increased tyre wear and damage roads more. Not exactly green, but then neither is mining lithium and cobalt. 

They can also do more damage in a collision. But hey, if it makes you feel like you're saving the world who cares about little Timmy getting mowed down by 3 tonnes of batteries?

image.png.69699b3c822e4f1020c841d19b8cc04f.png

image.png.443f9978655a92b4b3376dfdbc86dccc.png

Edited by JonnyF

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Don't be silly. It's about comparing like with like. An electric truck would weigh much more than the ICE versions you showed.

We can all compare apples to oranges to attempt to prove a point. How about we compare an ICE Suzuki Celerio to a Tesla Model X? 820 kg vs 2771 kg. Fair?

Fact is, when comparing apples to apples, electric vehicles are a lot heavier and therefore have increased tyre wear and damage roads more. Not exactly green, but then neither is mining lithium and cobalt. 

They can also do more damage in a collision. But hey, if it makes you feel like you're saving the world who cares about little Timmy getting mowed down by 3 tonnes of batteries?

image.png.69699b3c822e4f1020c841d19b8cc04f.png

image.png.443f9978655a92b4b3376dfdbc86dccc.png

Just wanted to know if you are genuinely concerned about heavy vehicles damaging the roads or just wanted to engage in some EV bashing - thanks for confirming my suspicions.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Just wanted to know if you are genuinely concerned about heavy vehicles damaging the roads or just wanted to engage in some EV bashing - thanks for confirming my suspicions.

It's a genuine concern. People need to be aware of the damage they are doing, even if like you they couldn't care less.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Bandersnatch has the right idea with Solar-system charging. :wai:

The problem I have is blatant promotion of EV's "saving the planet" instead of promoting Solar and alternate means of reducing emissions from ICE vehicles.  As usual, Governments overlooked the huge deficit in grid capacity and supply infrastructure.

Using Grid power may not save on CO2 as the break-even 8-year term for EV -v- ICE emissions could see a new battery pack required within 10 years.

47 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's a genuine concern. People need to be aware of the damage they are doing, even if like you they couldn't care less.

If you had a genuine concern you would have posted about it before - you haven’t - I rest my case.

The EV saloon I am buying weighs less than the average pickup for sale in Thailand, so yes I don’t care about its weight. 

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

If you had a genuine concern you would have posted about it before - you haven’t - I rest my case.

I've posted many times on the folly of EV's. If people want to waste their money and inconvenience themselves that's up to them but when they start bursting into flames in the car park and/or destroying the roads then it starts to affect me so of course it is a genuine concern. 

5 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The EV saloon I am buying weighs less than the average pickup for sale in Thailand, so yes I don’t care about its weight. 

You should be caring about how much it weighs compared to an ICE saloon. Comparing apples to oranges is silly, I explained that to you already and I would have expected you to understand it. 

If/when electric pickup trucks are released, we'll have a whole new level of weight to be concerned about. 

If you really cared about the planet you'd keep your existing vehicle for another 10 years. I'm sure you are aware of the environmental impact of manufacturing these things. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Oh really?

https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/06/27/evs-cause-twice-the-road-damage-of-petrol-vehicles-study-reveals/

image.png.c2ebfaa854cb0108ab6a11b72004c65c.png

It would appear I am not the one who needs to inform myself.

it seems that the UK having a lot of problems that other (eg. european) countries don't have!

poor UK, EV's worsening the "pothole cricis"  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Says the guy who has never owned an EV and clearly by his posts knows nothing about them apart from the fake news he reads online 

If your not doing any serious driving then EVs will work ok, except if you try and re-sell your EV.....I bet if you get 25% back you will be lucky...I bet with a 7-8 year old EV your looking at 10%...

For anyone who drives a lot Forget it.....EVs are a terrible idea.... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Says the guy who has never owned an EV and clearly by his posts knows nothing about them apart from the fake news he reads online 

I own an electric mountain bike and drive a Camry Hybrid.

Next...

10 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

If your not doing any serious driving then EVs will work ok, except if you try and re-sell your EV.....I bet if you get 25% back you will be lucky...I bet with a 7-8 year old EV your looking at 10%...

many electric vehicle (EV) owners drive their vehicles extensively.

but you think it is a terrible idea, did you ask one of this owner?

who informed you that EVs are only worth 10% after 8 years?

perhaps you are one of those people who claim that the battery needs

to be replaced after 8 years, are you?

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

Your Hybrid has a 1kWh battery, your mountain bike 500W 

Doesn’t qualify you as an expert on proper EVs

My EV has 86kWh

So you are saying that anyone who has purchased a "proper" EV is an expert, and anyone who hasn't purchased one knows nothing about them? That's some logic right there, I'm starting to see why you like them so much  ????

I don't own a "proper" EV because I have researched the environmental impact of building them and decided that it is not only damaging to the environment, but expensive and inconvenient to use. I rarely use my electric mountain bike because it's so much easier to use one of my ICE bikes. Plus I don't want to end up stranded staring at a bonfire if the roads flood while riding it.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I frankly find it pretty pathetic that grown men that have no firsthand knowledge or experience of a subject are so passionate in trying to teach the rest of us all about it. 

It's never too late to learn.

I know it can be tough to admit you've been suckered in and bought a dud but I'm told buyers remorse fades over time. The first step is to admit the mistake. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Dont think so, I just sold a 3 year old MG ZS EV for 630K baht, while a new one, that is much better, is 949K Baht NEW!

And I sold the fast way, got cash in 2 hours from that company called CarSome.  Had I not needed to sell fast, could have fetched 700K easy. 

The depreciation is high now, because the tech is new and people are ignorant about it. 
EV batteries are really better now and very soon we will start seeing those batteries being retrofitted for solar systems.

Let me give an imaginary example: BYD Atto 3 with a 61kWh LFP battery

The battery might degrade 10-20% after 10 years or 200,000 KM.  (because it's LFP, an NMC battery might degrade 20-30%)

let's assume 20%, that leaves still 48kWh of usable storage, still pretty good!

10 years from now, the car still runs fine but just a 20% less range, from today 420Km range, down to 340Km. 

Source :https://www.nationthailand.com/pr-news/special-edition/40013711

The NEW MG ZS EV is available in the D and X model with the retail prices as follows:

•      NEW MG ZS EV (D)

Normal price: 1,189,000 baht with additional state's subsidy of 240,000 baht

Net price: 949,000 baht*

•      NEW MG ZS EV (X)

Normal price: 1,269,000 baht with additional state's subsidy of 246,000 baht 

Net price: 1,023,000 baht*

Edited by brfsa2