HbA1C Tests for Diabetes

connda

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

If you want to reverse diabetes & other preventable diseases you should cut out all added sugars, carbs, alcohol, fast & junk foods, processed foods, processed meats.

Watch the following Drs on Youtube who don't follow the herd of other Drs out there & big pharma, but actually did their own research.

Dr. Pradip Jamnadas (Indian Cardiologist based in the US)

https://www.youtube.com/@pradipjamnadasmd and also https://www.youtube.com/@thegalenfoundation/videos

Dr. Sten Ekberg

https://www.youtube.com/@drekberg/videos

Dr. Jason Fung

https://www.youtube.com/@drjasonfung/videos

Dr. Robert H. Lustig

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dr.+Robert+H.+Lustig

A good post except that carbs that are whole food plant-based are fine in reasonable amounts. Type 1 normally can't be reversed. and Type 2 that a person has had for many years normally can't be reversed.

Jamnadas and Lustig are interesting. Jamnadas is very interesting.

Ekberg is not a real doctor and has lots of inaccurate advice but he seems like a very nice person.

Fung has some good things to say but is very arrogant and is not always correct.

Dr Roy Taylor is currently the top Diabetes researcher in the world:

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Have you noticed how John McDougall and family are all slim? no toxin buildup that all those low carb keto types get eventually not to mention the high cortisol

In general, McDougall gives good advice based on years of experience.

I am not sure if he advises moderation which is important when you are quite sick with diabetes...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Have you noticed how John McDougall and family are all slim?

Anyone can get slim on any supposed diet. Our resident MuscleMag used to reference the Twinkie diet, which he understood only superficially. And if you have a huge financial stake in restricting your calories enough for the necessary appearance? Hmm.

Besides, you're still hung up on the misconception that slim confers immunity from diabetes. You've been informed that isn't the case, but you need to believe it, I guess.

no toxin buildup

Yes, in the brain. Early dementia.

low carb keto types get eventually not to mention the high cortisol

Oh, you don't know anything about low carb keto types.

F4cSgYmXEAElZr6.thumb.jpg.94804d39332449583fc55ecff5d0ad21.jpg

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

In general, McDougall gives good advice based on years of experience.

I am not sure if he advises moderation which is important when you are quite sick with diabetes...

He seems to advise his diet of starches and low fat for almost every condition. Basically high carb low fat, works for me plus others going by various videos I've watched. High carbs means potatoes, rice, vegetables, fruit, not pizza, burgers, pastries, chocolate, ice cream etc

16 hours ago, jas007 said:

You should take a look at some of the functional medicine and diabetes doctors on YouTube. Look into how sugar, glucose, and carbohydrates are metabolized. What you’ll find is that a “fatty” diet isn’t the problem at all.  The problem is sugar, highly refined grains, carbohydrates , and processed food. They have everyone brainwashed , though, into thinking animal fat and meats are the problem.  The FDA even has a “food pyramid” that I’m sure most people in America have seen.  Everyone is supposed to eat lots of carbs, but eat meat and dairy products sparingly. Nothing could be further from the truth.  They have it backwards, and many doctors are now realizing that fact. 

So people did what they were told, ate lots of carbs and sugary foods, and America is now a country filled with obese people.

You are certainly making a good point about bad foods.

The latest medical research see Dr Roy Taylor in the UK clearly shows it is fat that causes the main problem of insulin resistance which then becomes diabetes.

Sugar junk food etc make the problem worse. and lots of junk food has fat which causes the problem.

Really high amounts of carbs can turn into triglycerides which also create a problem.

Eat a balanced whole plant-based diet with moderate levels of calories and you will be doing well.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 6:40 AM, TravelerEastWest said:

The latest medical research see Dr Roy Taylor in the UK clearly shows it is fat that causes the main problem of insulin resistance which then becomes diabetes.

He's talking about visceral fat--specifically fatty liver and pancreas--not a diet high in fat. One needn't be insulin resistant for it to start.

Sugar junk food etc make the problem worse.

Yup.

lots of junk food has fat which causes the problem.

Has fat, but the fat in junk food doesn't specifically cause the problem. You're all confused.

Really high amounts of carbs can turn into triglycerides which also create a problem.

High triglycerides are a symptom of metabolic disorder. It can have multiple causes. Insulin resistance and its effects are at the heart of most metabolic disorders. Carbs are the worst for encouraging insulin to store its calories as fat, including--in the liver and pancreas. 

Eat a balanced whole plant-based diet with moderate levels of calories and you will be doing well.

If that slippery principle works for you, as verified by healthy numbers from a lab. "Balanced" is fundamentally determined by the interests of the food industry, which has deemed that useless (high glycemic, low nutrition) carbs must be part of the definition. "Whole" foods needn't be plant-based. And people have very different definitions of moderation. “A Little Bite Won’t Hurt”: The Failure of Moderation. Finally, the body responds quite differently to different sources of calories, so in that sense calories aren't all "equal."

Perhaps there are other ways to do well.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Has fat, but the fat in junk food doesn't specifically cause the problem. You're all confused.

High triglycerides are a symptom of metabolic disorder. It can have multiple causes. Insulin resistance and its effects are at the heart of most metabolic disorders. Carbs are the worst for encouraging insulin to store its calories as fat, including--in the liver and pancreas. 

If that slippery principle works for you, as verified by healthy numbers from a lab. "Balanced" is fundamentally determined by the interests of the food industry, which has deemed that useless (high glycemic, low nutrition) carbs must be part of the definition. "Whole" foods needn't be plant-based. And people have very different definitions of moderation. “A Little Bite Won’t Hurt”: The Failure of Moderation. Finally, the body responds quite differently to different sources of calories, so in that sense calories aren't all "equal."

Perhaps there are other ways to do well.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree on some points. I have had diabetes for 30 years and  whole food plant based diet has worked wonders for me (yes lab numbers have improved)- along with exercise also very good and stress reduction

Balanced is determined by good science and common sense for me not the food industry.

Whole foods need to be plant based for the best results eating meat raises all causes of mortality so those who eat lots of meat can lower their weight and have great short term results.

I understand some omnivores disagree - and I won't try to change them. I wish them well...

I have had diabetes for 30 years and  whole food plant based diet has worked wonders for me (yes lab numbers have improved)- along with exercise also very good and stress reduction

And as I noted, if it works for you, good. Others, such as the patients treated by the docs of Low Carb Down Under, don't follow your recommendations but also enjoy great success. Your guru, Dr. Roy Taylor, is pretty much diet-agnostic.  My dad had severe diabetes for at least 40 years, so I'm quite familiar with the disease.

Balanced is determined by good science and common sense for me not the food industry.

But the food industry determines a lot of the science, paying for favorable research through various channels, often secretly, including the government. Scientific studies are rife with conflicts of interest. You can get an overview in Denise Minger's Death by Foo\d Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health. The game continues right up to today.

95% of the members on the expert committee for the 2020 U.S. Dietary Guidelines had conflicts of interest with the food or pharmaceutical industries. Details on these ties, with individual company names and links for each committee member, are now available.

--New Conflicts of Interest Data on US Dietary Guidelines Committee

We had one of the best examples in history recently with all the corruption surrounding the COVID disaster--which needn't have been a disaster at all. 

Common sense SHOULD tell you, as a diabetic, to leave out the "balanced" high glycemic whole foods.

image.png.e6c520df3357e225d30a47f8691e1f06.png

And it should tell you to substitute high nutritional foods, including veggie carbs, for the low nutritional foods you think you need for "balance":

image.png.eb56af1545cc9f5a8609b4d260992de8.png

But it doesn't. :)

Whole foods need to be plant based for the best results eating meat raises all causes of mortality

No, and no.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree on some points. I have had diabetes for 30 years and  whole food plant based diet has worked wonders for me (yes lab numbers have improved)- along with exercise also very good and stress reduction

I'd say if your diet has not reversed diabetes (assuming type 2) after 30 years, then it's hardly a great diet!

A ketogenic, carnivore or even merely a reduced cab diet will reverse diabetes type 2.

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

And as I noted, if it works for you, good. Others, such as the patients treated by the docs of Low Carb Down Under, don't follow your recommendations but also enjoy great success. Your guru, Dr. Roy Taylor, is pretty much diet-agnostic.  My dad had severe diabetes for at least 40 years, so I'm quite familiar with the disease.

And it should tell you to substitute high nutritional foods, including veggie carbs, for the low nutritional foods you think you need for "balance":

But it doesn't. :)

No, and no.

I appreciate your point of view but we will have to agree to disagree - the science that i have seen tells a different story - but as I mentioned I will not try to change your mind only present an alternative point of view - as you have done thank you! Also if you have not had diabetes personally and tested your theory on yourself I would suggest that they may or may not work for you. I am there with diabetes daily - I have strong options based on what really works for me now and hopefully in the future...

Professor Roy Taylor not only is not interested in a whole food plant based diet he is also not very concerned with exercise for practical reasons not theoretical reasons. Meaning exercise simply won't do a good enough job at first and the focus should be on diet that causes fat loss fast. Not sure if I would call him a Guru taht may be a term taht you use? I would call him a top researcher in the field who is helping many people.

As for the low carb folks taht you mention seems like they are happy with good short term results - so great! But there is not much in the way of long term studies of a good size on the Keto diet that I have heard of - have you read some?

As for good quality food taht is balanced I have an organic farm and eat fresh vegetables and beans every day moderate amounts of fresh fruit and grains and I take allow dose multi vitamin to be sure to get my B-12. No bread or pasta or candy etc Does that not sound good to you?

Edited by TravelerEastWest
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

I'd say if your diet has not reversed diabetes (assuming type 2) after 30 years, then it's hardly a great diet!

A ketogenic, carnivore or even merely a reduced cab diet will reverse diabetes type 2.

First apologies if I was not clear my diet was not the same many years ago when I first got diabetes.

Next no diet on the planet normally will reverse diabetes after you have had type 2 for 10 years as your beta cells are badly damaged.

Now if diagnosed early yes it is possible to reverse diabetes and perhaps any diet that causes you to lose fat will work?

But which diet is best for long term health? The studies that I have seen clearly show that a plant based whole food diet low fat diet is best for long term mortality key point long term mortality  I am aware that some carnivores on a ketogenic diet are happy slim and full of energy - for now.... and maybe a keto diet could be useful as a short term tool if you enjoy eating meat?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pretty much any diet that enables weight loss can reverse type 2, drugs work too

Maybe i don't know...

I only speak on my experience a dramatic drop in my Hba1c after I changed my lifestyle to a whole food plant based diet - lets see how I am doing in 20 years from now...

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree low fat whole food diets are the best if you want to eat small amounts of healthy meat it should not be too bad 

The article seems to clearly say that eating fat promotes insulin resistance but I am not trained in the sciences or a doctor so I may be missing your point?

But there is not much in the way of long term studies of a good size on the Keto diet that I have heard of - have you read some?

People often confuse low carb and keto because they don't really know anything about them. Very different. Keto makes a good target, so we enjoy targeting it here. I don't know of any posters here who've ever tried it. I haven't. I know about it of course but have not much interest in it.

I do suggest that anyone who's failed on other diets give low carb a try. Despite the information blackout about low carb (industry-packed Committee for the 2020 U.S. Dietary Guidelines refused to seat any low carb expert), and all the noise generated by low carb haters, it's well-established, pretty popular, and far more people than you might think report success with it. It's worked well for me. Long term.

no bread or pasta or candy etc Does that not sound good to you?

That part does. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Important to you, but irrelevant. 21-year-old "study" by some hack nutritionist, Jennifer C. Lovejoy, employed at the Women's Nutrition Research Program, Louisiana State University. I can imagine the funding of that program. Repeats debunked party line about saturated fats. And you haven't read the entire article, just googled up a headline and abstract. LOL. Blind leading the blind.

Anyway, as I've noted earlier, it makes sense that if you eat more fats along with your carbs, then that means more calories your insulin has to deal with after the carb glucose spike. To oversimplify, after the carbs have been used or deposited in your fat cells, the fat and protein will be next. And most people eating excessive amounts of carbs will also eat more fats. Eventually the overload will lead to insulin resistance and all the rest. Yawn.

Edited by BigStar

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pretty much any diet that enables weight loss can reverse type 2, drugs work too

Not necessarily. Dr. Roy Taylor, who has high cred here and elsewhere, says

Primary care nurses or dietitians worked with patients in the intervention group, and 36% (53/149) achieved remission for two years.

. . .

A two year prospective study of a low calorie diet and advice to walk daily in a young South Asian population with recent onset type 2 diabetes found 75% remission at three months and 69% at two years.

--https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n1449

And the problem for the carb-addicted with diabetes, or overweight, is to find a diet they can maintain. Carbs to the carb addicted is like whiskey to alcoholics. We have a resident diabetic here in that situation. Can't lay off the carbs, so chooses to stay overweight and medicate. Now he's expressed worry about paying for the meds later on. :) Posts pics of desserts here, but without his meds beside them.

Low carb offers a way out of carb addiction by helping control insulin levels and therefore hunger. Hunger drives people off their diets . . . .

As Dr Elie Jarrouge tweeted recently,

Edited by BigStar

People often confuse low carb and keto because they don't really know anything about them. Very different. Keto makes a good target, so we enjoy targeting it here. I don't know of any posters here who've ever tried it. I haven't. I know about it of course but have not much interest in it.

I do suggest that anyone who's failed on other diets give low carb a try. Despite the information blackout about low carb (industry-packed Committee for the 2020 U.S. Dietary Guidelines refused to seat any low carb expert), and all the noise generated by low carb haters, it's well-established, pretty popular, and far more people than you might think report success with it. It's worked well for me. Long term.

I have read of people with low carb or Keto diets (both) who maintain perfect glucose levels which is a very good thing in general and great for diabetics. But and this is a big but as soon as they start to eat carbs at a party their glucose levels spike.

Compare and contrast with a whole plant based low fat diet where glucose levels are also low because the fat that clogs insulin receptors are gone - they cane at a healthy (no junk or proccesed food) high carb diet and do this. Then they eat carbs and they don't have a glucose spike. Sound good?

True some people hate a whole food plant based diet so for those folks your low carb option may work very well...

Not sure but I thought Keto diets are low carb, and a low carb diet can be not so extreme and have few carbs but more than a Keto diet - sound right?

I have not heard bad things about a low carb diet that I remember at the moment lots of doctors traditionally suggested it for diabetics.

37 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Compare and contrast with a whole plant based low fat diet where glucose levels are also low because the fat that clogs insulin receptors are gone - they cane at a healthy (no junk or proccesed food) high carb diet and do this. Then they eat carbs and they don't have a glucose spike. Sound good?

Low carb leads to the same result, according to the Roy Taylor model, as weight similarly lost. The danger of regaining the fat may be eliminated as glucose levels are more assured of remaining even. A plant-based diet can encompass higher glycemic carbs and those can in fact cause glucose spikes. My favorite vegan:

image.png.d6be8b493e2ba4c2ea6ff56352964331.png

Edited by BigStar

Not sure but I thought Keto diets are low carb, and a low carb diet can be not so extreme and have few carbs but more than a Keto diet - sound right?reddit/r/lowcarb

If you're really interested in researching that, GIYF. You can find some good info in the wiki/FAQ sections of https://old.reddit.com/r/lowcarb and https://old.reddit.com/r/keto/. You can also read testimonials there.

I have not heard bad things about a low carb diet that I remember at the moment lots of doctors traditionally suggested it for diabetics.

Low carb has won a great deal of reluctant acceptance esp. w/ regard to treatment of diabetes. However, it was bitterly attacked from the beginning of its popularity in the early 70s owing to Dr. Atkins' diet book. It threatened the established financial interests, academic reputations, and conventional medicine. And it still does.

The latest attack vector is from the "whole foods" promotion. "Whole foods" has been around for less than a decade. Ironically, low carb promoted whole foods long before whole foods did, except "whole foods" tends to define itself, arbitrarily, as plant based.

It's hard to make money off something so simple as low carb. If people adopted it, the obesity epidemic would be over. Then what about the food, medical, pharmaceutical, and fitness industries? Most of our posters here wish to ensure these industries are viable and doctors enjoy a very good living. Our resident MuscleMag would get rabid at the mention of Dr. Jason Fung. Evidently he was terrified that Fung was going to snatch his bowl of morning muesli from him--between bites.

So nowadays health, diet, and fitness sites on the 'net mostly dislike low carb and lack credibility. The rise of rabid veganism, PETA, climate fascism, and man buns certainly helped.

Edited by BigStar

9 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Not sure but I thought Keto diets are low carb, and a low carb diet can be not so extreme and have few carbs but more than a Keto diet - sound right?

The thing i see time and time again about keto is toxins start building up, 7 years seems a milestone, then of course high cortisol due to lack of carbs which explains why they can be so grumpy 

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

She's a high fat vegan, see above posts about fat causing insulin resistance, vegan diets may or may not be healthy, depending what they stuff down

High carb vegan, though fat included of course. Your post about insulin resistance according to Jennifer C. Lovejoy has already been laughed at. Try to remember.

18 hours ago, BigStar said:

Low carb leads to the same result, according to the Roy Taylor model, as weight similarly lost. The danger of regaining the fat may be eliminated as glucose levels are more assured of remaining even. A plant-based diet can encompass higher glycemic carbs and those can in fact cause glucose spikes. My favorite vegan:

Things like dried fruits can cause spikes and large amounts of almost anything so commonsense is important.

But large amounts of green vegetables will not normally cause spikes. Large bowls of rice can cause spikes.

Who is the woman in the photo? Interesting as I dont think I have ever met a fat vegan who eats a healthy diet as in no junk food...

Note being a vegan and eating junk food is clearly not a good thing.

Edited by TravelerEastWest

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

If you're really interested in researching that, GIYF. You can find some good info in the wiki/FAQ sections of https://old.reddit.com/r/lowcarb and https://old.reddit.com/r/keto/. You can also read testimonials there.

Low carb has won a great deal of reluctant acceptance esp. w/ regard to treatment of diabetes. However, it was bitterly attacked from the beginning of its popularity in the early 70s owing to Dr. Atkins' diet book. It threatened the established financial interests, academic reputations, and conventional medicine. And it still does.

The latest attack vector is from the "whole foods" promotion. "Whole foods" has been around for less than a decade. Ironically, low carb promoted whole foods long before whole foods did, except "whole foods" tends to define itself, arbitrarily, as plant based.

It's hard to make money off something so simple as low carb. If people adopted it, the obesity epidemic would be over. Then what about the food, medical, pharmaceutical, and fitness industries? Most of our posters here wish to ensure these industries are viable and doctors enjoy a very good living. Our resident MuscleMag would get rabid at the mention of Dr. Jason Fung. Evidently he was terrified that Fung was going to snatch his bowl of morning muesli from him--between bites.

So nowadays health, diet, and fitness sites on the 'net mostly dislike low carb and lack credibility. The rise of rabid veganism, PETA, climate fascism, and man buns certainly helped.

Low carb has been suggested by doctors for a very long time not just recently for diabetics not sure how it threatens anything I disagree with you...

Whole foods has been around for thousands of years not just recently...

If you eat low carb but high fat you will get fat.

Muesli in small amounts is fine.

Dr Fung makes some good points but is quite arrogant and rude so I don't pay much attention to him also he is wrong about some things but right about lots of things.

Veganism does not have anything against low carbs not any of the vegans that I know and I am a vegan.

7 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Things like dried fruits can cause spikes and large amounts of almost anything so commonsense is important.

Any diabetic should know the fruits don't necessarily have to be dried. Here's a list for you of frutis to avoid:

Some examples of high-GI fruits (and their GI scores) include:

Mango (60)

Banana, ripe (62)

Dried cranberries (64)

Pineapple (66)

Raisins (66)

Watermelon (76)

--https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/diabetes/best-and-worst-fruit-for-diabetics

You're welcome.

9 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

But large amounts of green vegetables will not normally cause spikes. Large bowls of rice can cause spikes.

Yep, green veggies have always been included in low carb. Here's a chart for you to increase your awareness of what "whole foods" are more likely to cause spikes. One advantage of low carb is that you start eating less, because you aren't hungry from insulin drops. Large bowls of rice and all the other starches are no longer desired, or sweet fruits.

image.png.21d8e83a7b13025ac570d07c69c9d899.png