Who needs to sign marriage certificate for Savannakhet?

I think you are both supposed to sign the copy of the marriage certificate. Maybe, your wife can email you a signed copy (you email her a copy, she signs it and sends it back). I think the consulate would accept that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The most annoying thing about the visa situation is the rules/no rules. There is what is written down on the consulate website or Immi website, but when you go there and speak directly, you get a slightly difference version. And come another day and get another slightly different version. That's been my experience. I've never brought my wife to Savannakhet and I've gotten 4 or 5 Non-O visas over the years. I just don't recall the signing thingy. Thanks Tod!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Also there are more than a few confirmed reports recently of people who were denied the year-long, multi-entry, non-o visa because their thai wife wasn't there.

Those people were sold only a 90-day single entry

People are getting around this by having their wife right a letter addressed to the Thai consulare asking that the visa be issue

was this for Savannakhet?

I went there last year alone with no problems but planning to go again next month..

Going also to Savannakhet soon and just to clarify this "signing" thing. Do I sign the same copy my wife has signed or will I sign my own copy.

Also does it matter what Thai address I will write the application form? Just asking because my wife is running her business in other city where I am living.

And lastly, planning to visit there on Wednesday or Thursday, which one is better?

On 10/6/2023 at 4:44 PM, lopburi3 said:

Believe a short note from wife asking that you be issued a visa to be with her may also be required?  The visa is based on visiting wife rather than being married AFAIK.

Not required for Savanakhet. I believe this was a requirement for the marriage visa from Royal Thai Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

On 10/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, Tod Daniels said:

Also there are more than a few confirmed reports recently of people who were denied the year-long, multi-entry, non-o visa because their thai wife wasn't there.

There has? Where? On this forum?

17 hours ago, kidneyw said:

Went there last month. Both the misses and I signed the copy of our marriage certificate.

No letter from the misses requesting visa.

The misses was not with me and no request to see her.

Thanks for a very recent and factual update.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LingonBerry said:

Going also to Savannakhet soon and just to clarify this "signing" thing. Do I sign the same copy my wife has signed or will I sign my own copy.

You BOTH sign the copy of any document that has BOTH your names are on it. Otherwise, you sign the copies that relate only to you and signs the copies that relate only to her..

39 minutes ago, LingonBerry said:

Also does it matter what Thai address I will write the application form? Just asking because my wife is running her business in other city where I am living.

It would best be the same address that is on the signed copy of your wife's Tibian Bahn (blue book). Otherwise it will appear that you don't live together, which has the potential to open a totally unnecessary can of worms.

42 minutes ago, LingonBerry said:

And lastly, planning to visit there on Wednesday or Thursday, which one is better?

Tuesday.

My wife's house book was Chiang Rai, her parents house. My address/our address is Chiang Mai. Never had an issue. As I understand it, unless a Thai person buys a house in his/her name, the house book will always be their parents house book. Which is the case with my wife. Hmm, I wonder what happens if one's family/parents never own a house but only rent. You wouldn't have a house book, I guess. And then what? It seems to be such an integral part of the mechanism in Thailand.

19 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

My wife's house book was Chiang Rai, her parents house. My address/our address is Chiang Mai. Never had an issue. As I understand it, unless a Thai person buys a house in his/her name, the house book will always be their parents house book. Which is the case with my wife. Hmm, I wonder what happens if one's family/parents never own a house but only rent. You wouldn't have a house book, I guess. And then what? It seems to be such an integral part of the mechanism in Thailand.

You should be on the rental house book - that many remain on parents is local culture (easy path).

14 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Just get another Thai to sign her name on all the documents.  They won't be checked and how would they know in any case?

They will check the signature on the documents against the original marriage certificate

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

They will check the signature on the documents against the original marriage certificate

How many Multi Entry Non O's have you applied for? About 6 in my case and done what I'm suggesting twice - never a problem. You don't need to be a master forger, just something close.

People's signatures can vary a lot - mine never looks that same twice.

Go pay for something using your Thai bank card using your PIN.  The receipt will be handed to you for signing, even though in most cases the writing on the receipt states 'No signature required, verified by PIN'.  Watch and see if they check that signature against the one on the back of your card - never!

This is Thailand where things are rarely as they seem and requirements aren't actually required on the day

Edited by MangoKorat

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

How many Multi Entry Non O's have you applied for? About 6 in my case and done what I'm suggesting twice - never a problem. You don't need to be a master forger, just something close.

Peoples signatures can vary a lot - mine never looks that same twice.

Go pay for something using your Thai bank card using your PIN.  The receipt will be handed to you for signing, even though in most cases the writing on the receipt states 'No signature required, verified by PIN'.  Watch and see if they check that signature against the one on the back of your card - never!

This is Thailand where things are rarely as they seem and requirements aren't actually required on the day

I would suggest that when your paperwork gets to the back office there is a more attention paid to checking stuff, though picking on a signature is probably low on the scrutiny list.

I have seen folk with a problem a few times on passport collection...

7 minutes ago, transam said:

I would suggest that when your paperwork gets to the back office there is a more attention paid to checking stuff, though picking on a signature is probably low on the scrutiny list.

I have seen folk with a problem a few times on passport collection...

A problem concerning signatures? I doubt it.

Obviously the OP would be better getting his wife's signature but he states that is not possible.  Something close will pass.  The Kor Ror 2 states that the marriage is still in place - that will be enough those officials that Do follow some of the rules. By 'follow the rules' I mean check that the required documents are in place, not their authenticity. And of course that massively important item in Thailand - the correct colour of ink.

3 hours ago, bamboozled said:

You wouldn't have a house book, I guess. And then what? It seems to be such an integral part of the mechanism in Thailand.

As far as I know, the owner's name is registered on the main page but those actually living in the house are also listed on the relevant pages.

Those living there would also include offspring until they buy their own house.  Many seem to never change their registered address.

Edited by MangoKorat

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

A problem concerning signatures? I doubt it.

Obviously the OP would be better getting his wife's signature but he states that is not possible.  Something close will pass.  The Kor Ror 2 states that the marriage is still in place - that will be enough those officials that Do follow some of the rules. By 'follow the rules' I mean check that the required documents are in place, not their authenticity. And of course that massively important item in Thailand - the correct colour of ink.

The best thing is not to guess what is thought to be "alright", plus the consulate is not in Thailand....????

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

People's signatures can vary a lot - mine never looks that same twice.

You do realize Savannakhet is in Laos not Thailand so your comment about this is Thailand is pointless and incorrect

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

You do realize Savannakhet is in Laos not Thailand so your comment about this is Thailand is pointless and incorrect

Firstly, of course I know where Savannakhet is. Exactly the same applies at any Thai embassy or consulate - they are unlikely to closely scrutinise any signatures provided the documents are as required. Why are my comments incorrect - may I ask?

3 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Firstly, of course I know where Savannakhet is. Exactly the same applies at any Thai embassy or consulate - they are unlikely to closely scrutinise any signatures provided the documents are as required. Why are my comments incorrect - may I ask?

Your making an assumption based on that you have forged signatures twice and your forged signatures went unnoticed should anyone else try it can their defense be well MangoKorat on the aseannow forum told me it will work