what you do with your house when you are away in thailand?

parafareno

I am afraid to leave my house unattendet when I go to thailand for 6 month during winter....it gets snow and cold I am afraid the inside will get moldy. anybody have any experience with that? Because it will not get heated during winter and I am afraid that when i will come back the mold will be everywhere inside

2 minutes ago, parafareno said:

I am afraid to leave my house unattendet when I go to thailand for 6 month during winter....it gets snow and cold I am afraid the inside will get moldy. anybody have any experience with that? Because it will not get heated during winter and I am afraid that when i will come back the mold will be everywhere inside

Don't you have family or friends who can look after it?

3 minutes ago, parafareno said:

not really....mom is getting old so she will not be able to take care of it

Well, I am old myself I am 76 now but fortunately we don't have frost here where I live but get the neighbours to collect my mail, I am just going on a trip again to southeast Asia next month

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

With no family or friend to help and unable to leave a window open, there isn't much you can do is there? and you can't leave any electrical equipment working to ventilate the place for the electricity bill...so if you find a solution i think many people would like to know about...

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Olav Seglem said:

I have house in norway

Never temperature inside below 15.

Close water main crane. (Get insurance problem if not and go away 30 days plus.

Have cameras/house security to copany.

Not free, but "upside" is bigger ????

i can barely understand what you wrote?  below 15 celcius, you mean you leave the heating inside?

Insurance problem? wtf? upside is bigger? 

can you rewrite entire reply?

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Olav Seglem said:

I have house in norway

Never temperature inside below 15.

Close water main crane. (Get insurance problem if not and go away 30 days plus.

Have cameras/house security to copany.

Not free, but "upside" is bigger ????

What about the snow that accumulates on the roof?

• Confused 2

In USA I had a lovely cottage that closed down easily, but I learned that if nobody lived there for 3 months it was considered abandoned and insurance was not valid. 

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Prior to coming to Thailand i used to rent-a-room to someone,

I tried letting the wife of the Senior Circuit judge in the county live there for free - and she let her son and GF move in when she was away - they pretty much stole 50% of my stuff... 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Why won't it get heated?  Just set the thermostat at preferred temp.   Depending on heating energy source, you may have to make arrangement with vendors:

... oil, schedule regular deliveries

... nat gas or electric, no prob

Only thing, depending where live and local ordinance, would be snow removal from walkways, if having/needing done.  

Just hire one of the local teens to do, within 24 hrs of snowfall (most USA rules anyway), and Bob's Your Uncle.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

tried letting the wife of the Senior Circuit judge in the county live there for free - and she let her son and GF move in when she was away - they pretty much stole 50% of my stuff... 

Nice

I had a nice french girl, Lithuanian girl, Scottish girl stay there separate times, worked well, bills paid and looked after the place plus heating on over the winter

I use WIFI to control central heating (Google Nest linked to a combi boiler) set to the insurance requirement of 15C. Camera on door for security BUT it is always a worry and the journey each year to and from at 80 is getting more and more daunting so I am probably going to sell up - then no worries about that but of course plenty of worries about other things linked to commiting to spend the rest of my life in Thailand.

In my opinion governments (all) just want to restrict our freedoms more and more.

Edited by Negita43
grammar
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, parafareno said:

afraid to leave my house unattendet when I go to thailand for 6 month during winter....it gets snow and cold I am afraid the inside will get moldy

Your roof is leaking.  There's no way you should have mold inside a vacant house with a good roof.

Leg me guess, it's too expensive to fix your roof because you spend all your money on coming to Thailand every year? ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I'm heating my flat in the winter and checking the temperature inside the main living room from time to time with a web camera.

Closing always the main water switch of course.

The letterbox is cleared by a friendly neighbour I trust, who sending me photos of bills etc. He has also a key fir the flat if needed.

Edited by xn47140
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Of course you leave the heating on. 

If he leaves the water main on, goes away for more than 30 days and there is a flood (burst pipe) then his insurance won't pay out.  That wasn't hard to understand. 

Don't be absurd.

Of course you don't leave the heat on all winter when you're gone.

That's insane.

You drain the water pipes before you leave.

Can't break water pipes if they're empty (or almost empty).

I leave my cabin in the mountains with no heat every winter.  Gets down to -20F sometimes.  The water pipes are drained, so no problem.

Anyone that keeps the heat on all winter is a moron. ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, marin said:

Did you read the OP? His house is in Europe and he is worried about leaving it in the winter..

I did. House is in Canada. Keeping heat going is a given. So, turn off water and that’s it. Neighbours have a look what’s going on. Main concern is break ins. If OP’s house is in a housing estate I wouldn’t be worried about break ins than if it’s in a regular street.