Being a loner in retirement

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was really getting into following a 65yo guy on YouTube who had recently retired to a small rented bungalow in Turtle Beach which is on a beach highway north of  Phuket 

He lived by himself in this secluded area vlogging on the beach opposite and doing his daily art .

He would vlog saying he was happy by himself blah blah , didn't need company not even a dog blah blah,and went into Phuket once a month etc.

Well I was proud of him and subscribed only to hear him in his latest vlog say that he paid a "cleaner " 200 baht a day to come in 3 times a week to clean up and chat to him for 4 hours  , I was disappointed,I thought he was sitting independently type 

Nope seems he needs to pay for a chat 

He then went into say that absolutely no body ...no one can be by themselves constantly

Is that true with you

Who here lives by themselves 

Do you mean that blabber mouth Steve Rosse the American who never stops talking about himself? Can't imagine the cleaner getting a word in edgeways with him! ????

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Who here lives by themselves 

You just started a thread on an internet forum.

But I don't think you or most people even appreciate what it is.

In many ways, communicating via the internet is better than meeting people in real life.

Youtube videos are far more interesting than meeting up in a bar. 

And online, if you're not interested in what someone has to say, just ignore it. 

You have access to way more people online than you ever could in the real world.

Arguably, apart from playing sports or if you're the Beatles creating the white album, or female company for sex, with all the access to differente bloggers and forums online, there isn't that much need to meet up in bars with your 6 frienemies anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I've never had a problem being a 'loner' and actually prefer it.  

Even when in a relationship, I really don't socialize much with others.

Men seem to want to talk about their sexual conquest, drinking, cars/MCs, sports, all of which I have no interest in.

Women much more interesting, though prefer 1 on 1 conversations, and usually avoid social gathering.

You're interested in talking to unattractive women? Old women?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's not healthy to be by yourself day in day out, people need social interaction (on here doesn't count), sooner people realise that the better

That's basically me, so this forum is my social interaction. I am not too stressed by that as I can see friends occasionally, though I miss dancing, which I loved.

As more interactions in the business environment are eliminated by AI it will become a problem though eg bank tellers are gone replaced by a machine, supermarket checkout operators are being replaced by machines, parking building money collectors have been replaced by machines, etc.

It's now possible to go to town and park the car, go to the movies, go to the bank, buy groceries etc without speaking to another human being.

That can't be good for society, can it?

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

In many ways, communicating via the internet is better than meeting people in real life.

And online, if you're not interested in what someone has to say, just ignore it. 

You have access to way more people online than you ever could in the real world.

Arguably, apart from playing sports or if you're the Beatles creating the white album, or female company for sex, with all the access to differente bloggers and forums online, there isn't that much need to meet up in bars with your 6 frienemies anymore. 

On line is no substitute for real people, and how do I know you are a human and not an AI?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

On line is no substitute for real people, and how do I know you are a human and not an AI?

human beings have repeatedly let me down. 

online is a substitute because you can keep people at a healthy distance, where most people belong. 

the Tesla humanoid bot Optimus may sell for as little at 10K dollars.

i'm saving up for one. and Optimus may be my best buddy. 

Just now, save the frogs said:

online is a substitute because you can keep people at a healthy distance, where most people belong. 

I've probably been let down by more people than most, but I still want some human contact.

If I see friends now and then for a bit of a chat that's enough. If I was allowed, I'd get a comfort dog, but my accommodation rules do not allow.

A Real Doll with a robot interior sounds like a great idea, but I'll be dead before androids are a reality, sadly.

• Love It 1

Its all OK being on one's own and living the good life. No arguments or few worries, come and go as you please. I did it myself.

But get sick, or have an accident that might immobilise you for months, and then you find that having someone there to take care of you, someone that genuinely cares for you, is a godsend. Of course, that goes both ways in a relationship. Helping one another.

• Thumbs Up 1

My cop brother once came upon a suicide victim in a motel bath tub.

The guy had left a note -and $200 in cash to replace the bathtub. We say that nice guy attitude is what put the gun in his mouth more than his personal tragedy.

If they find my body, well, that's someone else's problem. I paid enough tax and did enough good deeds in my life for someone -who gets paid to do it- to drag me to the crematorium. 

That guy worrying about the maid finding him dead should just use google translate and tip her out now.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Years ago I met a farang from the UK in a cafe bookshop in Pattaya who told me he paid extra to live in a "serviced apartments" so if he died they would find his body .

I had no idea what a serviced apartments was I think they clean your room daily or something 

A loner would not want their body found. They would rather be left alone.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Years ago I met a farang from the UK in a cafe bookshop in Pattaya who told me he paid extra to live in a "serviced apartments" so if he died they would find his body .

I had no idea what a serviced apartments was I think they clean your room daily or something 

Yes a serviced apartment gets cleaned for you.

If I died in my room, the only way they'd know would be from the smell. My rent is direct debit, so management doesn't have to see me ever.

• Sad 1

In Thailand and other asian countries the dynamics are different.  A book cold be written on this but here are the headlines.

1/ If you let them live in then your options for other girls are limited (Providing you have a decent place to entertain like swim in the nude helps.  Not a <deleted>ty smelly apartment.)

2/ If you dont have a live in then its a lot of work cleaning a place thats larger, and to clean up ready for a new guest its a lot of work with the hairs they find..  A larger place can be good as you state many friends stay over and other people, but that does not explain your bedroom/bed/ensuite with different hairs in it.

3/ Do you really want a life partner?  Or want to try?  many spend years married or with such an idea to just loose decades off their lifespan.. fine if you have a great time but usually its a struggle with goals together (and a Thais family needs)  

4/ Having lady friends seems to be the best balance of the manly doggy needs and light relationships. Find out what day they have off before asking their names... 

Not that its my thing but I see the "pay for them to leave"  is the easiest...  and some of the pay up front types can be similar to regular girls here (as opposed to the hardcore pros in the west) so there is another road...

All women are a pain in the but, admit it...  they want the well off nice sweet guy that they get bored with shaggin every day (month) and wonder what it would be like with Naughty Nik ...  actually I read recently that women lust for another shag  quicker than men do.. wow, go figure...  but of course a womens priority is financial latch on..

it is such a huge topic.. probebly just under "why are we here"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What a great question! I thoroughly enjoy my own company but would definately struggle being totally alone. 

A dog would ease the loneliness as they are usually better friends than most humans anyway. But even then human interaction would be required even at a rudimetary level.........like a cleaner 2-3 times/week. I'm not much of a beer drinker so the pub scene wouldn't hold much sway for me. 

I find just sitting in a busy park and watching the world go by can be immensely satisfying too. People do stop and smile and nod and sometimes sit down and say Hello. 

Isolation is used as a punishment in jails and for good reason........as a species we need interaction or we begin to lose our grasp of reality.

Edited by Jackbenimble
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, FlorC said:

Same here , since 2007.

I only want to be alone.

I don't know what loneliness is .

As long as you have come to terms with dying alone, (worse, almost dying alone - and then dying BECAUSE you were alone) that is fine.

Some people worry about that.

13 hours ago, save the frogs said:

nonsense. we have been around long before technology, it's the nature of our species to interact.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's basically me, so this forum is my social interaction. I am not too stressed by that as I can see friends occasionally, though I miss dancing, which I loved.

As more interactions in the business environment are eliminated by AI it will become a problem though eg bank tellers are gone replaced by a machine, supermarket checkout operators are being replaced by machines, parking building money collectors have been replaced by machines, etc.

It's now possible to go to town and park the car, go to the movies, go to the bank, buy groceries etc without speaking to another human being.

That can't be good for society, can it?

everything you metion are utility functions, not social interactions.

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

we all have difficult issues in our lives, some more than others. We can choose to shut down and that is up to you.

18 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

As long as you have come to terms with dying alone, (worse, almost dying alone - and then dying BECAUSE you were alone) that is fine.

Some people worry about that.

There is the old saying .."we all die alone". I suppose that is true but on our deathbed does it really matter?