Tourism fee fund to be fast-tracked after payouts to families in the Siam Paragon mass shooting

webfact

2 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Need to get back the money they paid to families of dead. Lets hush this up quick. 

Yes, but how much did they actually pay out?

I read somewhere THB 1Million for each person killed. Add to that possible medical costs, and Tourist Assistance Fund or not, the government's bill couldn't have been very large.

Tourism fee for Emergency medical insurance and "other benefits".  Other benefits for who? 

Edited by phetphet
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

providing emergency medical health insurance cover and other benefits for 30 days from the point of entry.

If that's the case then I have no problem with it, perhaps other countries can follow suite, as last I heard it cost my home country $80 million per year pre Covid to treat tourists who then upped and left with the tax payers footing their bills.

I believe a lot of guys on this forum missed the point, it's a slush fund to payout for situations like this, PLUS it provides tourists with emergency medical insurance cover and other benefits for 30 days from the point of entry, suffice to say, ask yourself, how many tourists come here without insurance and then end up on forums with GoFundMe asking for help.

Usually I don't agree with a lot of the things the Thai authorities come up with, but on this, reading between the lines, I give them my support, as I don't believe that they should have to put their hands in their pockets to payout families of victims of fatally shot innocent people, or treat people for emergencies in hospitals for free if they don't have insurance, so a slush fund is a win/win for all concerned, especially tourists who in an "emergency" requiring treatment without insurance, that of course happens more so than tourists being killed here, so like I said, it's a win/win for farangs.

To sum up, I would have thought the insurance company of the mall under public liability would have had to pay out to the victims families, but I don't know the laws here when it comes to Thai Insurance companies.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes, it's a Foreign Tourist Levy, nota general levy for anyone who travels!

New taxes on tourists have become common in many countries:

Barcelona taxes foreigners staying in tourist accommodation

Portugal charges foreign tourists 1 Euro per night

Austria adds 3.02% to foreign tourists bills

Belgium add about 7 Euro's per night to room bills

Bhutan charges foreigners a whopping USD 250 per day!

Bulgaria adds 1.50 Euro per night to bills?

Caribbean islands, Croatia, Czech republic, 

France, Germany, Greece, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Malaysia

etc etc etc, all charge foreign tourists more.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/09/11/tourist-taxes-all-of-the-countries-you-will-have-to-pay-to-enter-in-2022

Does it apply to all foreigners or just foreign tourists? Most of the taxes in your linked article are for accommodation or hotel bills? So if you have house or condo you would not pay it?

Edited by Smokey and the Bandit
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Does it apply to all foreigners or just foreign tourists? Most of the taxes in your linked article are for accommodation or hotel bills? So if you have house or condo you would not pay it?

It is for all non-Thai citizens, regardless of whether they own property or not.

There use to be a tax when you left the airport about 20 years ago, guessing that wasn't just scrapped it was just probably passed on to the airlines and then the passengers when they bought the tickets.  Can the not just do something similar with this tax instead of hitting people with an extra charge as they arrive in the country.  I suppose it does help prepare people to be charged extra for being non Thai during the rest of their stay though .....

So you have just arrived after a 24 hour flight(s), you don't have  ฿, you wait in immigration for a half hour and then your half dead brain has to figure out what this kiosk thing is all about in 50 languages. Great

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

It is for all non-Thai citizens, regardless of whether they own property or not.

"Yes, it's a Foreign Tourist Levy, nota general levy for anyone who travels!

New taxes on tourists have become common in many countries:"

So its not a Foreign Tourist Levy, its a Foreigner Levy?

• Thumbs Up 1