Personal Accident insurance from Thai provider that includes MOTO accidents - not AXA Sabuyjai

Bravehart

This post does not involve insurance bought from home country.

There are a few threads about this. The outcome is usually that the AXA Sabuyjai My Exclusive Plans 1 or 2 DO cover moto related incidents. The outline of the policy suggests that, because it mentions motorcycle in section 1.2. But that is the reduction from 2 or 5 million for loss of life/limb or disability and NOT anything to do which medical expenses like broken bones.

The max. medical expense for any trip to the hospital is actually 200 or 500k (exclusive plan 1 or 2).

Some people buy insurance (from Thai banks - often incorporated into debit/credit cards) believing their hospital medical bills are covered for line 1.1 and the reality is they are only covered for 10 - 30k. 

image.png.5cd9ee3bca7bf07ce62b51c0d6e36044.png

For those who never drive or take a moto, this policy may be good value. Unfortunately, the medical expenses excludes motos. Refer to the policy document, section 3: this policy excludes:

image.png.41709285072acd1566318a75e35adfe5.png

This policy can not be bought online - make appointment with head office or broker. Don't get confused with the inferior Sabuyjai My Life policies that are available online.

Any info on how to extend the Sabuyjai My exclusive policy (6300 TH + ???), so that it DOES cover moto incidents would be useful, or 

the name of another company/policy that 100% covers moto accidents that can be bought online or at an office - ideally avoiding use of a broker ???? 

The Axa policy includes endorsement and so includes riding motorcycles. I agree it's ambiguous, I've discussed this with both AA brokers and Axa direct. Axa will email you to confirm if need be. Use a broker or go direct, i found AA annoying so I'd recommend going direct to the Axa office

Edited by scubascuba3

It's not an ad. I'm just looking for an answer. I called AXA and the staff checked with her manager - the answer was motorcycles are not included for medical expenses! I doubt the Thai staff would understand if I started probing about extended cover/endorsements. If the company can't produce a document in English that clearly states an exemption to 3.2.2, then that is concerning - I am not sure what an email from one staff member is worth who says, "don't worry, moto accidents are included". 

Some people mentioned Chubb - I called them and they said they do not do any such policy.

MSIG have two that specify motorbike. The first one I understand - covers to 150k medical expenses. Name is PA Health individual. 5600 THB for low risk (office type) workers. 

image.png.86fba4a28e13f6fce9f04654d325abb7.png

The other one is called PA Kit Tueng Jumbo (incl. daily hospital benefit). Their 'table of policy details' is a mess and misses out Medical expenses. But motorbikes gets more mention. Anyone know the med. expenses for this one?

Staff said these could be bought online but they didn't explain how and I couldn't find the part of the webpage. In the end, staff said maybe it cant be bought online - come to the office.

If people are more concerned with motobike accident medical expenses - can this be covered through "motorbike insurance policy"? Anyone know a company/policy name that offers high medical expenses - ideally 500k - for a bike more than 10 years old and also covers you as passenger on any bike.

19 minutes ago, Bravehart said:

It's not an ad. I'm just looking for an answer. I called AXA and the staff checked with her manager - the answer was motorcycles are not included for medical expenses! I doubt the Thai staff would understand if I started probing about extended cover/endorsements. If the company can't produce a document in English that clearly states an exemption to 3.2.2, then that is concerning - I am not sure what an email from one staff member is worth who says, "don't worry, moto accidents are included". 

Some people mentioned Chubb - I called them and they said they do not do any such policy.

MSIG have two that specify motorbike. The first one I understand - covers to 150k medical expenses. Name is PA Health individual. 5600 THB for low risk (office type) workers. 

image.png.86fba4a28e13f6fce9f04654d325abb7.png

The other one is called PA Kit Tueng Jumbo (incl. daily hospital benefit). Their 'table of policy details' is a mess and misses out Medical expenses. But motorbikes gets more mention. Anyone know the med. expenses for this one?

Staff said these could be bought online but they didn't explain how and I couldn't find the part of the webpage. In the end, staff said maybe it cant be bought online - come to the office.

If people are more concerned with motobike accident medical expenses - can this be covered through "motorbike insurance policy"? Anyone know a company/policy name that offers high medical expenses - ideally 500k - for a bike more than 10 years old and also covers you as passenger on any bike.

If you look at the PA Card it will have the MC box ticked, they say that means motorcycle cover for medical, both AA and Axa confirmed that. There is no decent alternative company or policy

When I get the bike taxed, I pay an extra 300 Baht for Road Accident Victims Protection Co Ltd.  I don't really know why I have to get it, but I think it is the minimum mandatory insurance. Other threads mention this includes some hospital cover - several people didn't know that - not just me!  The small print really is small - there is 500k for death (great/useless) but hospital medical expenses is not mentioned at all. That's why I'm trying to cover this issue properly. If I have an accident its highly likely to involve a motorcycle ????  Class 1 for a 10yr old small bike, scoopy ?

thanks replies. I will persevere getting email/document from AXA that motos are 100% included.  Call another day = another version of the policy.

"Residency in Thailand" is the next hurdle, not sure if some insurers are less stringent about what this means -- don't insist on looking at the passport when a claim goes in. Could be an issue if slip into TVs at some point during policy. Same goes for travel insurance (worldwide/SE Asia) which is next on the to do list due to frequent holidays 

22 minutes ago, Bravehart said:

thanks replies. I will persevere getting email/document from AXA that motos are 100% included.  Call another day = another version of the policy.

"Residency in Thailand" is the next hurdle, not sure if some insurers are less stringent about what this means -- don't insist on looking at the passport when a claim goes in. Could be an issue if slip into TVs at some point during policy. Same goes for travel insurance (worldwide/SE Asia) which is next on the to do list due to frequent holidays 

I don't think you can get the Axa insurance on a tourist visa, needs to be long stay, for me I'm down as retirement although i know someone who has the policy who has a dependency visa

Policy would begin during non-B extension to stay, but could change into TV at some point, before returning to extension to stay. Point was - anyone ever been asked to present passport at time of a claim. Presenting passport to insurance office (or give to broker, if used) when taking out policy, is fine.

AXA now say Sabuyjai My Exclusive product did include motorbike, but that policy is no longer available. It is now called AXA Sabuyjai My Exclusive MED and that excludes motorbikes. 

I was told their Sabuyjai My Life plans will cover motorbike, but it looks like only 10,000 medical expenses (plan 3). I think the 500,000 for riding or travelling on a motorcycle, refers to the limits on the 1,000,000 due to being on a bike... correct? Otherwise 3,500B pa is a steal.

If it is only 10,000B medical for motos, then it looks like MSIG might be the best bet.

Well done to those who got the original Sabuyjai - but it might be worthwhile to check the terms of any renewals.

image.png.32d40c1145d05bf96d53cca4ef39ae67.png

2 hours ago, Bravehart said:

Policy would begin during non-B extension to stay, but could change into TV at some point, before returning to extension to stay. Point was - anyone ever been asked to present passport at time of a claim. Presenting passport to insurance office (or give to broker, if used) when taking out policy, is fine.

AXA now say Sabuyjai My Exclusive product did include motorbike, but that policy is no longer available. It is now called AXA Sabuyjai My Exclusive MED and that excludes motorbikes. 

I was told their Sabuyjai My Life plans will cover motorbike, but it looks like only 10,000 medical expenses (plan 3). I think the 500,000 for riding or travelling on a motorcycle, refers to the limits on the 1,000,000 due to being on a bike... correct? Otherwise 3,500B pa is a steal.

If it is only 10,000B medical for motos, then it looks like MSIG might be the best bet.

Well done to those who got the original Sabuyjai - but it might be worthwhile to check the terms of any renewals.

image.png.32d40c1145d05bf96d53cca4ef39ae67.png

With medical expenses only 10k baht would not be worth it even if it included Motos.

18 hours ago, Bravehart said:

When I get the bike taxed, I pay an extra 300 Baht for Road Accident Victims Protection Co Ltd.  I don't really know why I have to get it, but I think it is the minimum mandatory insurance. Other threads mention this includes some hospital cover - several people didn't know that - not just me!  The small print really is small - there is 500k for death (great/useless) but hospital medical expenses is not mentioned at all. That's why I'm trying to cover this issue properly. If I have an accident its highly likely to involve a motorcycle ????  Class 1 for a 10yr old small bike, scoopy ?

If you do any damage to property You pay, crash into a Luxury car, will cost you a fortune. Num 2 private insurance should cover it. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Poor, 150k medical for 15k+ a year, Axa was 200k medical for 6.5k a year

I'm struggling with the same decisions myself.  I don't need the life insurance portion of these plans, just to know that my medical bills will be covered in the event of an accident.  The coverages are pathetic and over priced for the cost of the premiums.  

2 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

I'm struggling with the same decisions myself.  I don't need the life insurance portion of these plans, just to know that my medical bills will be covered in the event of an accident.  The coverages are pathetic and over priced for the cost of the premiums.  

Yep they are rubbish, if it's true that Axa has withdrawn their 200k motorbike PA cover then I'll probably go back to self insuring 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

AND the policies stop at a certain age

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Exactly what I mean. They drop you after 74.

Back in Canada they trundle you off to a MAID center and give you the needle at age 74, so I feel fortunate to be here.  A few more broken bones and scars add character if a man knows how to spin them into a colourful yarn.  

https://pp.worldnomads.com/

This policy might work for some. At least it has decent coverage for hospital expenses. 

Ppnomads 24.000 baht if Thailand is country of travel and UK is residence.  You can't put Thailand for both. Not sure if its breaking the law, but certainly will be voiding the insurance by saying you are in the UK when applying - if you are not. Even if you are in the UK at the time, there is usually a rule about having been in the UK for the past 6 months/spend 185 days a year in the UK. 

21 minutes ago, Bravehart said:

Ppnomads 24.000 baht if Thailand is country of travel and UK is residence.  You can't put Thailand for both. Not sure if its breaking the law, but certainly will be voiding the insurance by saying you are in the UK when applying - if you are not. Even if you are in the UK at the time, there is usually a rule about having been in the UK for the past 6 months/spend 185 days a year in the UK. 

Is this the one you called them about and they said no longer includes motorcycles? just strange it's still online

https://www.axa.co.th/en/AXA-PA-Sabuyjai-My-Exclusive

Yes, that's the defunct policy and the new one has the same name but ends in MED.

2 calls to the company with management checks resulted in "medical expenses exclude anything to do with motos". Would be interesting to see what happens if a Thai calls about that policy.

There is a misleading pdf poster on the web for the MED policy which goes something like,

line 1 - up to 5m THB for accidental death

line 2- covers accidents driving or passenger on moto

line 3 - covers medical expenses up to 500,000

As far as I am aware, line 2 is linked to line 1 (but there is a big drop in the pay-out for moto-related) and "medical expenses" simply does not cover moto accidents. It even states that in 3.2.2 of the policy (it is possible that policy doc hasn't changed since the original Sabuyjai product). And if you had emails from AXA saying 3.2.2 is an error for the old policy - you might want to check if you ever renew. 

Although AXA don't sell the old policy anymore - maybe they keep it open for those who had it and renew it.

Staff could not tell me what date the new policy replaced the old policy.

I thought buying insurance - with well written docs in English - would be less problematic than dealing with banks or immigration. Unfortunately not. It seems like a few agencies are also misinterpreting Death/Dismemberment/Disability (due to moto) vs Hospital medical expenses (due to moto). I was clear with companies that I was not interested in opd, death, cancer, chronic illnesses, etc but only accidents. They don't seem to get it, wasted time on the phone and in banks & insurance cos. In the end I might just take a risk! 

If the AXA product really is still available - or something similar - they should make a killing out of selling it to teachers, who never realize their card won't help them if they end up in Bangkok Hospital or Bunrumgrad after their win moto gets T boned. None of my language centres nor schools ever mentioned this.

For those who are only concerned about moto accidents ONLY or putting a new stripe down the side of a porche with your handle bar, then Roojai do a 4500B moto insurance policy with 200k medical (matching axa) and up to 600k for the damage to another vehicle. Its called Class2+ and is available for those who ride very old small bikes (meaning they will rightly only pay out 10k if my bike is damaged or written off). Btw I did the stripe thing 10 years ago and is cost me 8k ???? but I still don't bother with that kind of insurance.

17 minutes ago, Bravehart said:

Yes, that's the defunct policy and the new one has the same name but ends in MED.

2 calls to the company with management checks resulted in "medical expenses exclude anything to do with motos". Would be interesting to see what happens if a Thai calls about that policy.

There is a misleading pdf poster on the web for the MED policy which goes something like,

line 1 - up to 5m THB for accidental death

line 2- covers accidents driving or passenger on moto

line 3 - covers medical expenses up to 500,000

As far as I am aware, line 2 is linked to line 1 (but there is a big drop in the pay-out for moto-related) and "medical expenses" simply does not cover moto accidents. It even states that in 3.2.2 of the policy (it is possible that policy doc hasn't changed since the original Sabuyjai product). And if you had emails from AXA saying 3.2.2 is an error for the old policy - you might want to check if you ever renew. 

Although AXA don't sell the old policy anymore - maybe they keep it open for those who had it and renew it.

Staff could not tell me what date the new policy replaced the old policy.

I thought buying insurance - with well written docs in English - would be less problematic than dealing with banks or immigration. Unfortunately not. It seems like a few agencies are also misinterpreting Death/Dismemberment/Disability (due to moto) vs Hospital medical expenses (due to moto). I was clear with companies that I was not interested in opd, death, cancer, chronic illnesses, etc but only accidents. They don't seem to get it, wasted time on the phone and in banks & insurance cos. In the end I might just take a risk! 

If the AXA product really is still available - or something similar - they should make a killing out of selling it to teachers, who never realize their card won't help them if they end up in Bangkok Hospital or Bunrumgrad after their win moto gets T boned. None of my language centres nor schools ever mentioned this.

For those who are only concerned about moto accidents ONLY or putting a new stripe down the side of a porche with your handle bar, then Roojai do a 4500B moto insurance policy with 200k medical (matching axa) and up to 600k for the damage to another vehicle. Its called Class2+ and is available for those who ride very old small bikes (meaning they will rightly only pay out 10k if my bike is damaged or written off). Btw I did the stripe thing 10 years ago and is cost me 8k ???? but I still don't bother with that kind of insurance.

i just checked Roojai, not a bad 2nd option, for my Click it covers 200k medical for 5k. Not as good as Axa as that would cover cycling and any accident 

Screenshot_2023-10-11-14-45-21-883_com.android.chrome.jpg

are you sure it covers any accident - falling down stairs? I would have thought a moto policy only deals with moto matters. I have the full policy and can't see any non-moto accident coverage - not using a phone app quote. Anyway, the terms of the accident coverage may differ, if the bike in question is very old vs new - yours says Cat 1 and that isn't available for old bikes, I think.

I was even told a few years ago by a broker, that I was only eligible for Cat 3 ! So the info seems to be random.

Not sure what personal accident 50k means - if medical expenses are 200k (lose your eye and didn't end up going to a hospital?)

That's the problem with advice on insurances - like for like comparisons. Some people are talking about getting it in their home country, needing full comprehensive medical cover or have a motorbike focus.