Governments in Europe bolster security amid rise in antisemitism online

Social Media

image.png

The Italian military police stationed outside Turin's synagogue on Sunday. Italy’s interior ministry said it had ordered surveillance to be increased across the country. Photograph: Matteo Secci/AP

Governments across Europe said they had bolstered security as Jewish groups warned that the surprise attacks by Hamas had led to a rise in antisemitic rhetoric online.

In France, the interior minister, Gérald Darmanin, called on regional officials across the country to urgently put in place heightened security at synagogues and Jewish schools.

“At a time when terrorist attacks from Gaza are hitting Israel, I ask you to immediately step up vigilance, security and protection of Jewish community sites in France,” he wrote in a message seen by AFP.

Darmanin also called for the soldiers from France’s Opération Sentinelle, a special force that patrols streets and protects key sites, to be deployed in order to create a “visible and systematic” security presence.

The surprise attacks had left many in France’s Jewish community reeling, said Samuel Lejoyeux of the Union of Jewish Students of France. “We woke up with a sense of dread,” he told Le Figaro newspaper. “We were reminded of a fragility we had forgotten. It’s a feeling similar to what we felt at the time of 11 September or the Bataclan [attacks].”

His concerns were echoed by the Council of French Jewish Institutions. “We were very shocked and worried by this outburst of violence,” Pierre Haas of the council told AFP.

The council, he added, was also wary about the “possibility of the conflict being imported to France”.

In Germany, the police in Berlin said on social media they had filed complaints after being alerted to “people celebrating the attacks on Israel by handing out baked goods” along a main avenue.

Soon after, the country’s chancellor, Olaf Scholz, said in a statement that the government would “not accept it when the heinous attacks against Israel are celebrated here on our streets”.

The Central Council of Jews in Germany said they were in close contact with authorities and that police measures were being increased at Jewish institutions across the country.

In London, the Metropolitan police said they had increased patrols across parts of the city amid a “number of incidents, including those that have been shared on social media, in relation to the ongoing conflict in Israel and [at] the border with Gaza”.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I guess this is one of the (many) drawbacks of multi-culturalism. You end up importing the world's conflicts onto your own front door step.

Simlar things happening in London.

Still, keep repeating the mantra "Diversity is our strength" and this will all disappear under the carpet in no time...

You seem to have lost that free speech card you’ve been waving about until very recently.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You seem to have lost that free speech card you’ve been waving about until very recently.

Where did I say they shouldn't have free speech?

Oh that's right, I didn't. ????

#strawman

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh it wasn’t you who posted a ripped video of a protest and then moaned world conflicts and ‘similar things happening in London’

Peaceful protest is a cornerstone of democracy and free speech.

Away with you and your false equivalence and intolerance of peaceful protest.

As long as it stays peaceful I have no issue with protests. But you already knew that.

Of course, recent history suggests it might not stay within the law for too long.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/london-cops-arrest-4-over-f-the-jews-rape-their-daughters-video/

image.png.dd5f077bfe24e3c79a7b6c1e3d0bb784.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There you go with utter hyperbole.

The protests in London were peaceful,  people breaching hate speech laws were arrested and are being dealt with.

Hate filled marches through Jewish neighborhoods in London are nothing new, are not imported or anything to do with ‘multiculturalism’, they have a long and disgraceful history.

The police and courts know how to deal with this.

As long as it's within the law, that's fine. Some of it was, some of it wasn't. Let's see how it pans out over the next few days. 

So remind me again what I said against free speech? ????

#strawmanexposed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

As long as it's within the law, that's fine. Some of it was, some of it wasn't. Let's see how it pans out over the next few days. 

So remind me again what I said against free speech? ????

#strawmanexposed

‘Importing world conflicts’ juxtaposed with ‘peaceful protests in London’ adding ‘similar things happening in London’.

No Jonny, peaceful protests are not similar to world conflicts’.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If it was peaceful, why were arrests made for violence?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12611763/Hundreds-protesters-gather-outside-Israeli-embassy-London-light-flairs-chant-Free-free-Palestine.html

image.png.392c11f1ee0ca11288deb4399b0d5083.png

Or when you say peaceful, do you mean "largely peaceful" like the BLM riots?

Oh look you triggered your totally off topic BLM thing.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh look you triggered your totally off topic BLM thing.

Nice diversion. Well, a half decent attempt I suppose. Not bad, for you...  ????

Back on topic, these protests weren't peaceful, were they?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12611763/Hundreds-protesters-gather-outside-Israeli-embassy-London-light-flairs-chant-Free-free-Palestine.html

image.png.e7e52f8aa2632ba194d9d5487b0cabb7.png

image.png.4bf0d02c259fdc1ad0d0e9191c186c73.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Nice diversion. Well, a half decent attempt I suppose. Not bad, for you...  ????

Back on topic, these protests weren't peaceful, were they?

image.png.e7e52f8aa2632ba194d9d5487b0cabb7.png

image.png.4bf0d02c259fdc1ad0d0e9191c186c73.png

In comparison to those world conflicts you assert are being imported, very peaceful.

Even the Daily Mail can’t claim anything beyond scuffles, melee and a young man setting off a firework.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So you now accept it's not peaceful. We have progress.:clap2:

But because it's not as bad in London as it is in Gaza, it's all good?

I guess antisemitism in London is fine, as long as it's not as bad as it is in Palestine? I guess it's not surprising you would hold such a view given your adoration of the UK Labour Party.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-antisemitic-incidents-soar-after-start-conflict-israel-2023-10-10/

image.png.24dd28563603b7873e5e1ea5a6a564d0.png

"Nothing to see here. Move along please. Count yourself lucky, it's worse in Gaza." 

Great point Chomper ????.

It’s peaceful, a bit noisy but not violent.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I may be wrong but didn't the UK Government designate Hamas as terrorists?

If so it is illegal to support terrorism?

"It is a criminal offence to belong to or invite support for a proscribed organisation or wear clothing which could be seen to support the group"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59346441

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Using a football analogy, we're still in the warmups.

Actually we've had a couple of bad tackles and 2 red cards. The crowd is hostile and starting to riot, but the stewards have it under control - for now.

Unfortunately, we're still in the first 10 minutes. 

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Three arrests at what The Independent describes as a ‘massive protest’.

My goodness, it sounds like a dangerous riot ….. not.

• Haha 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Three arrests at what The Independent describes as a ‘massive protest’.

My goodness, it sounds like a dangerous riot ….. not.

So you've moved from "It's loud but not violent" to "A little bit of violence is OK". ????

You're certainly good value today Chomper.:clap2:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So you've moved from "It's loud but not violent" to "A little bit of violence is OK". ????

You're certainly good value today Chomper.:clap2:

Three arrests Jonny, at a ‘massive protest’.

Go on tell us how this equates to ‘importing the world’s conflicts’.

Remind me, the death toll in Israel and Gaza this week is?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1