Three favourite movies

georgegeorgia

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

RABBIT PROOF Fence was a Australian movie 

But not as good as  STORM BOY 

I used to love David Gulpilli Aboriginal actor 

Storm Boy was awesome too. As were Van Diemen's Land (2009), Muriel's Wedding (1994), and, of course, Mad Max (1979).

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

More than 3 (not in order of preference). Just pick the ones YOU like the best:

• Snatch

• Gran Torino

• 12 Monkeys

• My Neighbor Totoro (Tonari no totoro)

• Spirited away (Sen to Chihiro no kamakushi)

• Pulp Fiction

• Leon the professional (directors cut)

• Wild Things

• Mulholland Drive

• Lost Highway

• No country for old men

• Fargo

• The big Lebowski

• Cypher

• True Grit

Grand Torino wasn't the best for me 

No place for old men was great 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

They say Casablanca was the best movie of all time .

My late father was into   Westerns ,every Saturday he used to watch the midday western cowboy Indians  movie ,who were they John Wayne ,Gene Autrey,Roy ..,? Rogers??

Bonanza ?,I couldn't stand any western movies ,I don't think they make Westerns anymore ??? Surely no one here is into Western movies 

I wonder if they have been banned by the Woke crowd ??

westerns:

The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brynner version).

Silverado.

The Unforgiven

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Grand Torino wasn't the best for me 

No place for old men was great 

The English film titles are "Gran Torino" and "No Country for Old Men" as per my list above. Both are great.

My list contains many well known movies, but I suspect that not many might know "Cypher" (2002) which I regard as a insider tip.

Spirited away is a Ghibly Studio animated film which won the Oscar and is regarded by many as the best hand drawn Anime ever.

1. The English Patient (watched it 18 times in the cinema and again 18 times on DVD). Beautiful movie! Ralph Fiennes is a brilliant actor! Also liked him in Salmon Fishing In Yemen. 

2. The Lord Of The Rings 

3. A toss between The Quiet Man starring John Wayne and The Green Mile. Both are great movies, great cast and great plots. 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Hard to pick just 3.    To Kill a Mockingbird, Spartacus, The Great Escape, if just three, but,  The Shawshank Redemption, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, Braveheart, The Color Purple, Schindler's List, The Pianist, How the West Was Won, Raiders of the Lost Ark,The Ten Commandments, The Thin Red Line, Ben Hur, Saving Private Ryan, Unforgiven, The Green Mile, Godfather 2, Goodfellas, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Whiplash, Papillon, Forrest Gump, African Queen, Terminator 2, We Were Soldiers, Railway Man, The Birds, Psycho, Apocalypse Now, Leon the Professional, Alien, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, hard to not keep adding so many.

You left out Once Upon A Time In The West 

I had a think and I can't think of any that would qualify as favourite. I rarely watch a movie more than once, and the ones I do I'm not saying on here.

I'm much more into Anime and Korean series, and my most watched anime movie would be "I want to eat your pancreas". It's not actually about a cannibal though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, moogradod said:

The English film titles are "Gran Torino" and "No Country for Old Men" as per my list above. Both are great.

My list contains many well known movies, but I suspect that not many might know "Cypher" (2002) which I regard as a insider tip.

Spirited away is a Ghibly Studio animated film which won the Oscar and is regarded by many as the best hand drawn Anime ever.

Almost all the Ghibli movies are wonderful, and missed by most westerners as they are regarded as "comics" because not live action.

I first saw My neighbor Totoro, got hooked and have them all on DVD.

While I do like Spirited Away, my favourite would be From Up on Poppy Hill, followed by Porco Rosso. Only Yesterday is really good too.

Any Ghibli fan should watch the 25 year concert with a massed orchestra, a choir of hundreds and an audience of about 14,000. Conducted by Joe Hisaishi who composed the music for the movies. Awesome and wonderful.

7 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Some great Movies mentioned but not one mention for some of the greatest films of all time.

Number 1 - Scarface

2 - True Romance - What a great movie, the cast is incredible.

3 - Mystic River.

Sorry, only greatest in your opinion.

None qualify on my list of greatest films of all time.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, djayz said:

1. The English Patient (watched it 18 times in the cinema and again 18 times on DVD). Beautiful movie! Ralph Fiennes is a brilliant actor! Also liked him in Salmon Fishing In Yemen. 

2. The Lord Of The Rings 

3. A toss between The Quiet Man starring John Wayne and The Green Mile. Both are great movies, great cast and great plots. 

Will have to look this The English patient up ,you watched 18 times????????????

8 hours ago, novacova said:

You left out Once Upon A Time In The West 

I left out many, including that and The Magnificent Seven, Dances with Wolves, Defiance, Ronin, Open Range, Empire Of the Sun, along with many more, but he wanted three, and I couldn't stop. I have well over 1000 dvd's, most of the best rated movies and then some.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RayWright said:

Think you might mean Ewan McGregor?

???? I actually had to double check that. Yes, you're right. It has been so long since I watched that movie, I had forgotten who the main actor was! ???? my memory is not as good as it once was. 

Thank you. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, only greatest in your opinion.

None qualify on my list of greatest films of all time.

They are indeed among the greats. It's not just his opinion. A movie is great because of what it is, what it shows, how it makes people feel, how people can relate to it. Those three rate very high, meaning many people have voted it that way. Any movie that gets to 8.0 on IMDB is a great movie, and many that rate from 6.0 to 8.0 are very good also, with some being great. Some people think a Pee Wee Herman movie is great. Some people don't understand what makes a movie great, and to them a great movie might go over their heads.