Three favourite movies

georgegeorgia

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When my parents came to visit i downloaded this from piratebay and luckily my mum had gone to bed
I went out the room for a while and when i came back in my dad looked at me like wtf have you put on . Just when he was in Chinatown hitting her from behind

Edited by kwak250
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kwak250 said:

When my parents came to visit i downloaded this from piratebay and luckily my mum had gone to bed
I went out the room for a while and when i came back in my dad looked at me like wtf have you put on . Just when he was in Chinatown hitting her from behind

Probably he replayed that scene a couple of time just to be sure. ???? 

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:53 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I could never ever ever be into Science fiction movies ,hated it all since I was a kid 

Star wars , even films like Spiderman , etc were rubbish to me ,even this Harry Potter,guys my age going berserk over this film 

So not a real moviegoer then? Guessing you’re like really ancient ????. If you can’t appreciate/understand Interstellar or Alien or Terminator etc , then I don’t want to see your list. 

These topics are as common as the ‘what d’you dislike most about Thailand’, ‘how much do you live on’ etc, and a top 3 always turns into top 10, but I’ll indulge…

Heat

Interstellar

Somewhere in Time

Almost Famous, Shawshank, Glengarry Glen Ross, Training Day, Hangover, Edge of Tomorrow, Enter the Dragon, In Bruges, Goodfellas, Empire Strikes Back, LOTR Trilogy, Predator, Terminator, TRON Legacy, Star Trek 2009, The Keep, London, Heartbreak Ridge, McVicar, and Once Were Warriors also up there. 

Edited by daveAustin

On 10/10/2023 at 7:08 PM, freeworld said:

As Good as it Gets

Good Will Hunting

American History X

and also:

Moonrise Kingdom

Stand by Me

Dead Poets Society

Dances with Wolves

Chariots of Fire

Thelma and Louise

Goodfellas

American Beauty

Apocalypto

LA Confidential

No Country for Old Men

Eastern Promises

Traffic

Pulp Fiction

Sicario

Reservoir Dogs

Se7en

etc...

Forgot about Good Will Hunting (Matt Damon’s best IMO) and American History X. Also liked Norton in 25th Hour… Barry Pepper and Seymour Hoffman also great in it. 

18 hours ago, Dexxter said:

I love Studio Ghibli animes.

I have so many movies that I rarely have time to watch any of them more than once. Exceptions are Blade Runner (original) and The Matrix (first one only). There are a few others I would watch again if I had the time.

I also have too many DVDs to watch before I pass ( only $1 or $2 at op shops ) and had to make the decision whether to watch my favourite animes again and again and again, or watch an unseen DVD movie, So far the anime's are winning.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

If you can’t appreciate/understand Interstellar or Alien or Terminator etc , then I don’t want to see your list. 

I loved the first Alien movie. Watched all the rest, but they were never as good after Weaver became too pervasive. The last one Weaver in was IMO <deleted>.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

So not a real moviegoer then? Guessing you’re like really ancient ????. If you can’t appreciate/understand Interstellar or Alien or Terminator etc , then I don’t want to see your list. 

These topics are as common as the ‘what d’you dislike most about Thailand’, ‘how much do you live on’ etc, and a top 3 always turns into top 10, but I’ll indulge…

Heat

Interstellar

Somewhere in Time

Almost Famous, Shawshank, Glengarry Glen Ross, Training Day, Hangover, Edge of Tomorrow, Enter the Dragon, In Bruges, Goodfellas, Empire Strikes Back, LOTR Trilogy, Predator, Terminator, TRON Legacy, Star Trek 2009, The Keep, London, Heartbreak Ridge, McVicar, and Once Were Warriors also up there. 

Glengarry was another good one. Lot of cursing but realistic. Seeing Lemmon that way and remembering him in the Odd Couple as a completely different actor is eye opening, with Grumpy Old Men being sorta in the middle.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:21 PM, BritManToo said:

Number 3 would be Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman).

You surprise me, with a name like Britman.  The scene where Hackman opens a can a whoopazz on Richard Harris (English Bob) I think is why they gave Clint the Oscar.  At least he didn't get to sing that damned song about a cake in a park in the rain.

46 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Seeing Lemmon that way and remembering him in the Odd Couple

Summer of 1968, I was working as an usher in a theatre.  The Odd Couple played for 14 weeks straight (it would have run longer but they had already agreed to open another movie).  If I never see or hear him again . . .

A few years later he won an Oscar, but I just couldn't take him seriously as an actor.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:45 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Out of interest are you and Bignok working as a relay team?

Who cares, I like both threads. Now I am planning another 30 hours torrent of great entertainment.

Edited by Ben Zioner

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Summer of 1968, I was working as an usher in a theatre.  The Odd Couple played for 14 weeks straight (it would have run longer but they had already agreed to open another movie).  If I never see or hear him again . . .

A few years later he won an Oscar, but I just couldn't take him seriously as an actor.

Lemmon was actually one of the best actors of his time. I don't put anyone on a pedestal, including actors and sports figures. They are good at what they do, period. He was a good actor. You'd have to see him in more than the Odd Couple to understand what he was.

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Interstellar

I watched the movie after I heard the soundtrack.

I love the soundtrack.

The movie is ok, but I think all in all it doesn't make much sense (even if we would assume the technology is accurate).

Edited by OneMoreFarang

19 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

Crikey , I thought everyone here was a fogy? Where are the classics, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca etc..

At 73, I am most assuredly a “fogy”.  This does not preclude discovery and appreciation of newer material. Waters, Tarantino etc, are all part of my collection.

Far too many great movies to keep to the limit of three but some near the top of my list are:-

French Connection

Highlander

Live and Let Die

Midnight Run

This is Spinal Tap