'Where do we go?' - Nowhere safe in Gaza as Israeli strikes intensify

Social Media

image.png

"Where do we go? Is there a safe place left in this neighbourhood, which was so quiet and beautiful?" residents of an apartment block in Rimal asked me, with heavy sarcasm.

I had just spent the most difficult seven hours of my life inside there, as Israeli warplanes carried another wave of air strikes in retaliation for the Palestinian militant group's unprecedented assault on southern Israel from the Gaza Strip on Saturday.

The Israeli strikes also caused significant damage to dozens of residential buildings, the offices of telecommunications companies and faculty buildings of the Islamic University of Gaza.

Terrifying explosions shook the area throughout Monday night. Children were screaming and nobody had a moment's sleep.

It was a night that the residents of Rimal - Gaza City's wealthiest neighbourhood and usually its quietest - will not forget for a long time.

As dawn broke on Tuesday, the intensity of the strikes decreased and people discovered the extent of the destruction. The south-western neighbourhood's infrastructure was severely damaged and most roads leading to it were cut off.

As I drove around it felt as if there had been an earthquake. There was rubble, shattered glass and severed wiring everywhere. Such was the devastation that I did not recognise some of the buildings that I passed.

"I lost everything. My apartment, where my five children lived, was here in this building. My grocery shop below the building was destroyed," Mohammed Abu al-Kass told me while carrying his daughter Shahd in the street.

"Where do we go? We have become homeless. There is no shelter for us anymore or work."

"Are my house and my grocery shop a military target, Israel?" he added, accusing the Israeli military of lying when it says it does not target civilians.

The Palestinian health ministry said that about 300 people, two thirds of them civilians, were killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza on Monday. It was the deadliest day there for many years.

At least 15 people were killed in the densely-populated Jabalia refugee camp, north-east of Gaza City, in the afternoon. The Israeli military said it targeted the home of a Hamas commander. But many people at a nearby market or in neighbouring houses were killed.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

Just for fun I looked up population/area of Bangkok, Singapore and Gaza strip. Numbers roughly came to:

Bangkok    23k people per sq mile

Gaza Strip 16,400 per square mile

Singapore 22,254  "       "           "

hmmm San Francisco bit closer to Gaza 18,663

Yeah, so where ya gonna run to?

31 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Just for fun I looked up population/area of Bangkok, Singapore and Gaza strip. Numbers roughly came to:

Bangkok    23k people per sq mile

Gaza Strip 16,400 per square mile

Singapore 22,254  "       "           "

hmmm San Francisco bit closer to Gaza 18,663

Yeah, so where ya gonna run to?

Addressed on another topic, and many times on past ones.

Short version? Have a look at Google Maps, get the sat pic, zoom in.

Plenty of fields, open areas near beaches.

Also IDF spokesman broadcasted messages to the population (in Arabic) designating safe zones and routes to them. This was done in previous rounds of fighting as well.

Just heard on Al Jazeera that israel has dropped 6,000 bombs on Gaza.

No wonder the US has to resupply the brave pilots of the israeli bombers with more bombs to drop on a defenseless population.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip/card/israeli-air-force-says-it-has-dropped-6-000-bombs-on-gaza-QK1aSnupiGqytMVO86PU

Israeli Air Force Says It Has Dropped 6,000 Bombs on Gaza

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just heard on Al Jazeera that israel has dropped 6,000 bombs on Gaza.

No wonder the US has to resupply the brave pilots of the israeli bombers with more bombs to drop on a defenseless population.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip/card/israeli-air-force-says-it-has-dropped-6-000-bombs-on-gaza-QK1aSnupiGqytMVO86PU

Israeli Air Force Says It Has Dropped 6,000 Bombs on Gaza

Or maybe your Hamas friends could turn over the children unharmed that they have kidnapped and stop burning them alive. That simple logic is a bridge too far for your comprehension perhaps?

Edited by illisdean
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If certain posters wonder why I don't respond to their posts quoting me, it is because they are on ignore. My ignore list is growing quite fast since this conflict happened.

I find it funny you so desperately need people to know you ignore them.