Danish danger on Thai island: Illegal firearms arrest on Koh Samui

webfact

On 10/11/2023 at 9:58 AM, webfact said:

The Danish man may face imprisonment for up to 10 years, a fine of up to 20,000 baht, or both for possessing a gun without permission according to Section 7 of the Act on Firearms, Ammunition, Explosive, Fireworks, and Imitation Firearm.

Indeed this is so. My wife's father, reported anonymously, had an unregistered revolver, very old, and a few bullets bought " down the pub". He showed it to me saying it was to protect the family from nutters. Well after being reported he was arrested in a dawn raid by 2 local plod and the  weapon and bullets confiscated. Much panic as the penalties were read to him. A case file was started and I believe he attended court a couple of times. But then nothing more so I assume he got a rap across the knuckles and a small fine. Quite a few years ago.. Of course he had no idea guns have to be registered in Thailand which from my research at the time seemed quite straightforward to do with only a small fee.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 12:38 PM, paul1804 said:

He should be punished but I wonder if the same punishment will apply to the thousands of Thais who illegally own firearms! 

We know in theory that the same penalties apply for all but we also know Thailand and its biased ways when it comes to foreigners!

On 10/11/2023 at 2:39 PM, BKKBike09 said:

Many of his online posts also seemed to threaten other foreigners. Mr. Adam has fitness businesses and has stayed in Thailand for a long time.”

yep, just your ordinary, peace-loving, amiable farang expat "businessman" in Thailand!  :cheesy:

Now, "fitness businesses" aside, I wonder what his REAL business is here in LOS?

On 10/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, Taboo2 said:

Just wondering why all these tough Swedes are not home taking care of business in their Swedish cities that are overrun with Migrant Gangs?  Seriously, go back home and fight for your country.

Huh? He should go home and shoot foreigners?

Peace pilgrim.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 11:18 AM, BTB1977 said:

8 guns and 200 rounds. Not really gangster. Amateur at best. 

It is the "amateur" aspect that is so disturbing....basically if you want a firearm  in Thailand it is not only incredibly easy, the authorities have accepted this as the norm for decades.

There are "gun clubs" all over the country run with only the most casual monitoring  by the authorities. 

If you "need" a gun just ask around your mates.

If you are a foreign ex serviceman, it is just too easy to befriend other gun users as they see you as having a mindset in common...even the police in Thailand are basically a military organisation and they have to buy their own handguns.

It's just a matter of "joining the club" and buying a few beers for the right people.

Edited by kwilco

On 10/11/2023 at 8:39 AM, BKKBike09 said:

From one of the linked articles:

The Surat Thani Immigration Chief Colonel Suppakorn Pankosol stated to the Thai press, “We found that these guns and bullets were ordered online from the northeast of Thailand. Mr. Adam used these guns to practice shooting at a shooting range on Samui Island. He also posted on social media that he likes to collect guns. Many of his online posts also seemed to threaten other foreigners. Mr. Adam has fitness businesses and has stayed in Thailand for a long time.”

I suspect 'Mr Adam' may be in for an extended stay in Thailand, but perhaps in less enjoyable surroundings. <deleted>.

I've said some time ago that on Samui, the authorities need to look at the activities of the gyms and their owners.

Mostly ex servicemen, they come from a lifestyle of fitness and firearms and continue this on Samui through gyms and dubiously obtained visas and work permits.

• Confused 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 8:38 AM, kwilco said:

I've said some time ago that on Samui, the authorities need to look at the activities of the gyms and their owners.

Mostly ex servicemen, they come from a lifestyle of fitness and firearms and continue this on Samui through gyms and dubiously obtained visas and work permits.

Interestingly there are 2 "confused" emoticons - this would suggest they don't agree with my hypothesis but are possibly examples of what I'm referring too and reluctant to comment as it might be giving themselves away.