Thailand remains neutral on Israeli-Palestine conflict

snoop1130

On 10/14/2023 at 7:47 PM, KhaoNiaw said:

Thailand, or rather Siam as it was then, was officially noted as 'Absent' from the vote (the only country 'absent'). According to Wikipedia, "The credentials of the Siamese delegations were cancelled after Siam voted against partition in committee on 25 November."   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Partition_Plan_for_Palestine (with the final vote being made on the 29th as it didn't receive enough votes to pass on the 25th. This gave time for pressure to be applied to ensure its subsequent success).

I've managed to dig up a little more information on the historical points. It's interesting to find out that Prince Subha Svasti Svastivat from Siam was actually elected the Vice-Chairman of the Ad-Hoc Committee on the Palestinian Question. In the committee vote on 25 November 1947, Siam voted against the partition proposals alongside Afghanistan, Cuba, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, the Lebanon, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey and Yemen. The resolution was adopted by the committee with 25 votes for, 13 against, and 17 abstentions. But the majority was short of what would be needed in the full vote and so pressure was applied to various countries over the next few days.
Unfortunately I can't find any more information about the credentials of the Siamese delegation being cancelled. I'm guessing this would have been done by the Siamese government? Though I'd still be interested to know why this was done and why the Thai delegation weren't just persuaded to reverse their vote.