Moment Range Rover explodes before £20m multi-storey structure collapses - sparking travel chaos for up to 50,000 passengers

Social Media

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Advanced stuff! I was restricted to triangles. 

Thanks for putting the fires out.

5555, was a long time ago i got dirt putting a fire out, officers just tell others what to do. Fatal fire investigations always took more time and effort than the fire itself.

It was a enjoyable career, hard work at times, would never make you rich but allows a comfortable retirement.

Sometimes i think if i could do it again, next time I would just stay sat on a fire engine, forget promotion, as that just means far less stress and responsibility.

Thank god it was not one of those trendy EV cars, The explosion would have been far more devastating as usually with electric vehicles. A nightmare for firemen all over the world who pray to be off-duty when it happens. And it does.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Georgealbert said:

You obviously do not know any firefighters then.

All fire services have operational procedures, incident command and safety equipment to deal with incidents.

EV fires offer some difficulties, not are nothing compared to the risks posed by many other hazards,

You obviously have not travelled around the world.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Georgealbert said:

5555, was a long time ago i got dirt putting a fire out, officers just tell others what to do. Fatal fire investigations always took more time and effort than the fire itself.

It was a enjoyable career, hard work at times, would never make you rich but allows a comfortable retirement.

Sometimes i think if i could do it again, next time I would just stay sat on a fire engine, forget promotion, as that just means far less stress and responsibility.

Here's one for you, then?

Most news sources are saying that the Luton Airport carpark fire started from a single parked Range Rover diesel (only) vehicle that ignited somehow - there is still some VDO footage of the car parked, not that close to other vehicles, and with its nose in to the nearest wall.

In the VDO I saw, the fire had started, with bright yellow/orange flame coming from what looks to be the front end of the vehicle but with only thin, light density/light colored smoke emitting at the time. 

I have experienced a few fires, mostly at sea, with the main fuel type being diesel. Ignited diesel typically chucks out heavy black smoke. I know that the diesel used is UK autos is cleaner than marine fuel but not that clean. I find it hard to see this initial event in the car park as a diesel-fueled fire. What do you think? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Here's one for you, then?

Most news sources are saying that the Luton Airport carpark fire started from a single parked Range Rover diesel (only) vehicle that ignited somehow - there is still some VDO footage of the car parked, not that close to other vehicles, and with its nose in to the nearest wall.

In the VDO I saw, the fire had started, with bright yellow/orange flame coming from what looks to be the front end of the vehicle but with only thin, light density/light colored smoke emitting at the time. 

I have experienced a few fires, mostly at sea, with the main fuel type being diesel. Ignited diesel typically chucks out heavy black smoke. I know that the diesel used is UK autos is cleaner than marine fuel but not that clean. I find it hard to see this initial event in the car park as a diesel-fueled fire. What do you think? 

Very good question. 

The images and videos I have been able to find online, shows a fairly standard under the bonnet fire. There are a number of reasons that could cause such as fire, electrical, combustibles left under the bonnet, brake fluid leak. I do not believe it was ignition of the diesel that started the fire. Range Rover also has a history of vehicle recalls, as many manufacturers do.

i would hope the investigators have access to better, clearer CCTV of the car entering the car park to the fire development. They will also have witness statements from the car owners and people in the area at the time. Also observations from the first attending fire crews.

Yes diesel will produce a lot of black smoke, which is because of incomplete combustion. EV thermal runaway would often display a jet of flame.

So without the full information, I would never attempt to make what would be a guess as to why this fire developed this way. But details from the Liverpool car park fire, I posted earlier, seems to offer many similarities.

Like most major fires and accidents, it is a series of events that lead to the final outcome. Such as, what caused the car fire, the space it parked in, proximity of other cars, weather and wind condition, car park construction and fire resistance, height of car park, lack of sprinklers, english building regulations requirements, time to first fire intervention, availability of fire extinguishers, did anyone attempt to use an extinguisher or just video it, time of attendance of first fire crew, access to the car on fire, did the airport fire crew attend, Bedfordshire Fire Service operational procedures.

So without full information it would be unprofessional to offer a guess of what went wrong, i will reserve final judgement to the full fire report is issued.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Very good question. 

The images and videos I have been able to find online, shows a fairly standard under the bonnet fire. There are a number of reasons that could cause such as fire, electrical, combustibles left under the bonnet, brake fluid leak. I do not believe it was ignition of the diesel that started the fire. Range Rover also has a history of vehicle recalls, as many manufacturers do.

i would hope the investigators have access to better, clearer CCTV of the car entering the car park to the fire development. They will also have witness statements from the car owners and people in the area at the time. Also observations from the first attending fire crews.

Yes diesel will produce a lot of black smoke, which is because of incomplete combustion. EV thermal runaway would often display a jet of flame.

So without the full information, I would never attempt to make what would be a guess as to why this fire developed this way. But details from the Liverpool car park fire, I posted earlier, seems to offer many similarities.

Like most major fires and accidents, it is a series of events that lead to the final outcome. Such as, what caused the car fire, the space it parked in, proximity of other cars, weather and wind condition, car park construction and fire resistance, height of car park, lack of sprinklers, english building regulations requirements, time to first fire intervention, availability of fire extinguishers, did anyone attempt to use an extinguisher or just video it, time of attendance of first fire crew, access to the car on fire, did the airport fire crew attend, Bedfordshire Fire Service operational procedures.

So without full information it would be unprofessional to offer a guess of what went wrong, i will reserve final judgement to the full fire report is issued.

Fair enough, thanks.

6 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

It is good to have a sensible, open debate, with someone who can express serious views. Just a shame we all have to suffer some of the others posters.

I have had some bad experiences with fires - all were potential (fatal) catastrophes and close calls. I've only done short-course fire prevention and containment training (theory+practical - several repeats). I've worked with devices that use Li batteries for decades but these were not vehicles and were not cause of the fires, thanks be. That said, personally, I will try and stay away from EV's and lithium for as long as possible.

As I see that you were a full time professional, then I respect that. A worthwhile career leading to a well-deserved pension. Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I have had some bad experiences with fires - all were potential (fatal) catastrophes and close calls. I've only done short-course fire prevention and containment training (theory+practical - several repeats). I've worked with devices that use Li batteries for decades but these were not vehicles and were not cause of the fires, thanks be. That said, personally, I will try and stay away from EV's and lithium for as long as possible.

As I see that you were a full time professional, then I respect that. A worthwhile career leading to a well-deserved pension. Good luck.

Thanks.

Lithium batteries have posed some new risks, same as when LPG/NGV vehicles first appeared. Firefighting techniques have also developed and been adapted.

The Luton car park fire final report, I am sure, will find many factors that lead to the reason why this fire grew and did such damage 

That report will be based on real facts, not on any preconceived agenda. Hopefully any lessons learnt will be acted on, but I doubt it. Safety requires extra costs, and profit is normally the first priority.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You have no way to prove that you have any qualifications. If I post negatively, it's in response to insults.

I had 3 successful careers in my life, but as I can't verify my qualifications I stick to opinions. I see you are assuming I did not have any qualifications, which is in itself an insult.

The recommended action when encountering a poster one does not like, is to use the ignore function. My ignore list runs to more than one page and expands frequently.

Have a nice day.

Pages of blocked users.

The online version of talking to one’s self.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Car already identified as Range Rover Hybrid .............

The government are trying to hide the danger from EVs from the general population.

But the UK insurance companies have already been raising prices/not renewing EV insurance.

Guess this will be the end of EVs in the UK as no insurance co. wants a 20M bill for a fire in a car park.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue press release.

https://www.bedsfire.gov.uk/news/london-luton-airport-car-park-fire

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Exactly. Anyone with a basic knowledge of fire (excluding our self proclaimed expert with a brand new username on this thread) can see that is not diesel burning. Diesel emits large plumes of thick black smoke. Anyone who has driven behind an old diesel truck knows that. 

The Range Rover hybrid has its batteries on the left hand side under the passenger seat.

The bright orange glow with a tinge of blue smoke is typical of lithium. This was an EV fire. Expect many more. 

What could be better for the environment than using children to mine lithium and cobalt, then charging the battery with coal generated electricity and burning 1500 cars in a multi storey car park? 

#juststopoil

Been at the YouTube again Jonny?

27 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Been at the YouTube again Jonny?

I’m not sure what your issue is with YouTube but do try to stay on topic dear. The trolling is becoming tiresome.

edit for typo.

Edited by JonnyF
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I’m not sure what your issue is with YouTube but do try to stay on topic dear. The trolling is becoming tiresome.

edit for typo.

Deary me Jonny:

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Exactly. Anyone with a basic knowledge of fire (excluding our self proclaimed expert with a brand new username on this thread) can see that is not diesel burning.

The investigation into the cause of the fire continues, but it has been determined that the vehicle that first caught fire was a diesel car.

Refer link from our new member, who does know what he’s talking about, below:

12 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue press release.

Your ‘basic knowledge of fire’ seems to have failed you Jonny, perhaps you need to watch a few more YouTube videos, 

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Deary me Jonny:

The investigation into the cause of the fire continues, but it has been determined that the vehicle that first caught fire was a diesel car.

Refer link from our new member, who does know what he’s talking about, below:

Your ‘basic knowledge of fire’ seems to have failed you Jonny, perhaps you need to watch a few more YouTube videos, 

You do realize that diesels can be hybrids? And that this model in question is a hybrid diesel that has its battery under the passenger seat?

How many diesel car fires glow bright orange with small amounts of blue smoke before taking out an entire building?

I will put your obsession with the platform YouTube down to your increasing eccentricity. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You do realize that diesels can be hybrids? And that this model in question is a hybrid diesel that has its battery under the passenger seat?

How many diesel car fires glow bright orange with small amounts of blue smoke before taking out an entire building?

I will put your obsession with the platform YouTube down to your increasing eccentricity. 

Deary me Johnny, 

Why didn’t I think of that…… No scratch that..I’ve not been on YouTube.

Why did the Bedfordsire Fire Brigade state ‘Diesel’ rather than ‘Hybrid Diesel’… or even ‘Diesel Hybrid’.

Perhaps

A. They haven’t been at the YouTube short cut to being an expert on everything.

B. It’s a conspiracy to hide the truth ( as you know it).

C. They know what they are talking about and the vehicle was a bog standard Diesel.

Pick the one that helps you avoid accepting you ran your mouth.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Exactly. Anyone with a basic knowledge of fire (excluding our self proclaimed expert with a brand new username on this thread) can see that is not diesel burning. Diesel emits large plumes of thick black smoke. Anyone who has driven behind an old diesel truck knows that. 

The Range Rover hybrid has its batteries on the left hand side under the passenger seat.

The bright orange glow with a tinge of blue smoke is typical of lithium. This was an EV fire. Expect many more. 

What could be better for the environment than using children to mine lithium and cobalt, then charging the battery with coal generated electricity and burning 1500 cars in a multi storey car park? 

#juststopoil

Excellent post, especially the first paragraph.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Excellent post, especially the first paragraph.

Sorry, you both fail to understand, it is not the diesel burning at the start of the fire started under the bonnet.

if you have attended any car fires you would understand that many times the fuel tank remain unaffected.

English car fire statistics, facts, not made up from youtube.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1173188/fire-statistics-data-tables-fire0302-270723.xlsx

You show your lack of knowledge when posting.

Both reported for posting false information.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Andrew Hopkinson, chief fire officer for Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said. “It’s believed to be diesel-powered, at this stage all subject to verification.”

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/10/12/heres-the-car-that-sparked-a-massive-1500-vehicle-fire-at-london-airport-car-park/

Believed to be! Sounds like half-truth waffle to me.

With CCTV likely to be at least at the CP entry, then the car number should be logged and the owner and vehicle type easily identified. With the VDO evidence so far, there is a high probability that it's a hybrid-diesel SDV6 IMO. No charging but looks like a big battery for a small gain by the Range Rover specs. 

Sorry, here is the press release from Bedfordshire fire service.

There is no big conspiracy going on.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

By whom ??.. any solid link to confirm this ??

Not criticising your info... just looking for facts that I cant find...  everything I'm reading states diesel. 

I just think some people can never believe facts.

• Thumbs Up 1