I don't want to rent a hotel and just sleep in my tent on a beach. Should I be afraid of police?

DizzyProtos

7 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I've met quite a few people, many of them Germans, who stayed for months camping on the south islands national parks campsites. Many are coming almost every year.

Campsites and beach bumming are not the same thing at all. Where's he going to pee and take a dump? Wash in 7/11? Eat in 7/11? So for 12 days he's really just checked in to 7/11. So, like I said before, why bother coming here at all?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2023 at 8:11 PM, Toolong said:

To be honest, DizzyProtos, it might be best to forget that idea. (To put it gently!)

I actually admire you for being 'different'. I once had that spirit in me myself.

But while it would not necessarily end that badly......it would definitely not last that long. One night max'.

There's no such thing as 'stealth camping' on beaches like those you had in mind. Secluded, forested areas......maybe.....but beaches? Too much hassle. 

But if you go for it anyway.....good for you. ????????

(Interesting how you'd do a TM30!)

tm30 needed for 12 day stay?

On 10/12/2023 at 7:53 PM, DizzyProtos said:

I come from Romania and have a lot of experience camping in the forest. I'll be in Thailand for 12 nights.
Thinking setting up a tent on Ao Yon or Panwa beach, washing at sea and eating at 7/11 or street food.

Will I get booted by a policeman or would locals likely shoo me off?

I hope they do.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2023 at 2:31 AM, huahinjoe said:

You could also rent an old minivan and make it as a temporary home, travel far as you want and explore local lifestyle on your own and stay low on radar. You can get showers at any gyms as well, life is an adventure, just sayin'...

Greetings from Hungary

A 12-day, old minivan rental in Thailand?

Let me Google that and get back with you, OK?

53 minutes ago, pomchop said:

tm30 needed for 12 day stay?

Sorry, pomchop....don't actually know the answer to that, as I have longer-stay extensions and am not familiar with all the TM30 requirements & rules regarding other visa types, ie tourist. (Tbh....don't even fully know the requirements & rules re my own visa/extension type....it's all very confusing - to me anyway!)

• Confused 1

On 10/13/2023 at 1:31 AM, huahinjoe said:

You could also rent an old minivan and make it as a temporary home, travel far as you want and explore local lifestyle on your own and stay low on radar. You can get showers at any gyms as well, life is an adventure, just sayin'...

Greetings from Hungary

rent an old minivan..........In Thailand?

On 10/12/2023 at 6:53 AM, DizzyProtos said:

I come from Romania and have a lot of experience camping in the forest. I'll be in Thailand for 12 nights.
Thinking setting up a tent on Ao Yon or Panwa beach, washing at sea and eating at 7/11 or street food.

Will I get booted by a policeman or would locals likely shoo me off?

Don’t be all surprised by interruptions in the dark. Things go bump in the night. 

2 hours ago, retarius said:

You should always be afraid of the police in Thailand. Especially if you have money or a bank card in your possession.

Why should you be afraid of the police in Thailand? The first time I get asked for any money from any policeman when I know I have done nothing wrong ie just walking down the street, riding my motorbike in a sensible manner, I have a good tongue in my head and will not be afraid to use it.

As far as I am aware falangs anyone who pitch a tent along any foreshore or on a public beach won't be be there enjoying the 'glamping' bliss for long as plod will appear to either shoo them away, shoo and fine, or fine and arrest them. 

In other words its illegal. Thais run by a whole different set of rules than us falangs on this.

If you can find a private beach owner and get permission then that's a whole different matter.

Edited by Tropposurfer

19 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

As far as I am aware falangs anyone who pitch a tent along any foreshore or on a public beach won't be be there enjoying the 'glamping' bliss for long as plod will appear to either shoo them away, shoo and fine, or fine and arrest them. 

In other words its illegal. Thais run by a whole different set of rules than us falangs on this.

If you can find a private beach owner and get permission then that's a whole different matter.

There is no such thing as a private beach in Thailand. All beaches belong to the king and are essentially public property. Only the land behind the beach can be private, but you can still access the beach with a boat or kayak.

On 10/14/2023 at 1:07 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

On the beach it's ILLEGAL 

Read the post, he wants to sleep on the beach 

Sirinat National Park at the top end of Layan Beach is as "on the beach: as you will probably get. Seen loads of people camping there (mostly Thais but some Farangs) over the two years I was up there cleaning the beach early mornings.

Edited by MarkT63
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Why should you be afraid of the police in Thailand? The first time I get asked for any money from any policeman when I know I have done nothing wrong ie just walking down the street, riding my motorbike in a sensible manner, I have a good tongue in my head and will not be afraid to use it.

Your choice.

• Thanks 1

the op is clearly a troll feeding on people's sentiments about central europeans. i wish mods would close this thread as all it generates is hate. in my previous post i commented on this guy. please be clear it has nothing to do with his nationality but rather how guys like this taint all foreigner reputations. kinda like backpack beggars