I don't want to rent a hotel and just sleep in my tent on a beach. Should I be afraid of police?

DizzyProtos

3 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Sirinat National Park at the top end of Layan Beach is as "on the beach: as you will probably get. Seen loads of people camping there

I've seen loads of people riding their motorbikes in Thailand not wearing a shirt. 

It's illegal, so is sleeping on the the beach in a tent. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Try Googling 'Beach Camping in Thailand' or 'Beach Camp Sites in Thailand'.

I did find this beach camping article which maybe be of interest: https://iamkohchang.com/activities/camping-wai-chaek-beach.html

I live in Hua Hin and I know that there are several beach camp sites in Cha Am and Pranburi which are located in the west coast of the Gulf of Thailand. They be probably be pretty much desserted until the weekend Bangkok city crowd arrives.

Good Luck

40 minutes ago, ddotmark said:

Try Googling 'Beach Camping in Thailand' or 'Beach Camp Sites in Thailand'.

I did find this beach camping article which maybe be of interest: https://iamkohchang.com/activities/camping-wai-chaek-beach.html

I live in Hua Hin and I know that there are several beach camp sites in Cha Am and Pranburi which are located in the west coast of the Gulf of Thailand. They be probably be pretty much desserted until the weekend Bangkok city crowd arrives.

Good Luck

He wants to set up a tent on a beach, washing at sea and eating at 7/11 or street food. 

Probably on a budget or very little money, I doubt he has the money to pay for a camp site if he's washing in the sea. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 10/12/2023 at 7:53 PM, DizzyProtos said:

I come from Romania and have a lot of experience camping in the forest. I'll be in Thailand for 12 nights.
Thinking setting up a tent on Ao Yon or Panwa beach, washing at sea and eating at 7/11 or street food.

Will I get booted by a policeman or would locals likely shoo me off?

You might get visitors who want to share your food and drinks:

On 10/16/2023 at 1:26 PM, gearbox said:

There is no such thing as a private beach in Thailand. All beaches belong to the king and are essentially public property. Only the land behind the beach can be private, but you can still access the beach with a boat or kayak.

Try pulling into the "private beach" at the Aman Puri in Surin and some other resorts. If you insist you will be talking to "security" fairly soon. Technically you are right, but not the same as in the "doing"...

IH

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Question for those suggesting camping in a National Park.  Last time I went into one, they charged me 400 baht, which is close to the cost of a cheap fan room.  Is that universal, or did I just pick the wrong Nat'l Park?

Do you have a pink card? Last 3 parks I went to charged me Thai rate.

• 3 weeks later...

I've camped on remote beaches in Australia for weeks at a time abluting in the ocean.  I've virtually never paid for accommodation when travelling or camping in bush areas. Even with today's "nanny" restrictions, the country is large enough and the beaches vast and remote enough for you to still do it without hinderance.

Phuket is not Australia; I believe it was recently voted most crowded tourist destination in the world. Trying to live on or near tourist beaches there will greatly risk your chances of assault, robbery, harassment, or arrest. There are groups of "mafia" who believe they own certain beaches and have used firearms against interlopers. I can think of several murders there over the years of people sleeping on a beach. Many years ago, a young woman sleeping in a tent on a northern beach was raped and murdered by fishermen from a boat anchored offshore. A man had his head bashed in with a lump of wood on one of the main beaches.

There would be no such thing as stealth camping on a beach on Phuket Island.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2023 at 7:09 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

He wants to set up a tent on a beach, washing at sea and eating at 7/11 or street food. 

Probably on a budget or very little money, I doubt he has the money to pay for a camp site if he's washing in the sea. 

^^^^^

Yes, as above...

He's been removed from the beach. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/438849630140035/permalink/1304707463554243/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2023 at 10:46 AM, Old Croc said:

I've camped on remote beaches in Australia for weeks at a time abluting in the ocean.  I've virtually never paid for accommodation when travelling or camping in bush areas. Even with today's "nanny" restrictions, the country is large enough and the beaches vast and remote enough for you to still do it without hinderance.

Phuket is not Australia; I believe it was recently voted most crowded tourist destination in the world. Trying to live on or near tourist beaches there will greatly risk your chances of assault, robbery, harassment, or arrest. There are groups of "mafia" who believe they own certain beaches and have used firearms against interlopers. I can think of several murders there over the years of people sleeping on a beach. Many years ago, a young woman sleeping in a tent on a northern beach was raped and murdered by fishermen from a boat anchored offshore. A man had his head bashed in with a lump of wood on one of the main beaches.

There would be no such thing as stealth camping on a beach on Phuket Island.

Excellent comment and I was about to say something similar. Indeed, camping on remote beaches in Australia is still very much a doable thing despite the country becoming a bit of a nanny state. That said, Thailand is more of a nanny state, at least if you're non-Thai.

With Phuket being a tiny island and having 100-1000 times the population density of most parts of Australia, it's clear why it should be the last place anyone considers camping.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2023 at 12:04 PM, Tropposurfer said:

As far as I am aware falangs anyone who pitch a tent along any foreshore or on a public beach won't be be there enjoying the 'glamping' bliss for long as plod will appear to either shoo them away, shoo and fine, or fine and arrest them. 

In other words its illegal. Thais run by a whole different set of rules than us falangs on this.

If you can find a private beach owner and get permission then that's a whole different matter.

No they don't.. Thais aren't allowed to sleep on the beach either. Hobos and homeless people may have different experiences but your average Thai would certainly be moved on as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1